Hotels in Geneva.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)

• Anonymous

Good day all. I seek the advice of anybody familiar with Geneva city-centre accommodations. I am looking for a reasonably-priced (for Switzerland) hotel for a stay in July, and welcome any recommendations. Something central. Near the lake would be nice, but spending £500+ per night is not really an option. I do not have a preference between small and intimate, like a boutique hotel, and a large chain-style property. Have been to Geneva only twice, and both times I was in transit. Just a quick city tour between trains (first time) and planes (second time). Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BeckyBoop: Looking at your current itinerary, I notice that you were in Geneva recently. Would love to hear your thoughts about where to stay. Cheers.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I will watch this thread with interest. Many excellent hotels in Geneva but the prices – wow!

PatrickRowe
    Participant

Geneva hotels are extortionately expensive and the nearer the lake , the higher the price. Hotel Residence St James might be worth looking at and it costs about €70/night for a studio and it is a short walk to the lake.Another possibility would be the Holiday Inn Express. While it is midway from the airport to the lake, it is opposite a large shopping centre- Balexert- and there is a very good tram service to the centre of town from the street next to the hotel

BeckyBoop
    Participant

a_canadian_traveller, I sadly wasn’t staying in Geneva but had onward travel to Les Gets in the Alps as I was on a skiing holiday and I have never been before.. sorry 🙁

Lugano Pirate lives in Switzerland perhaps he can suggest a place…

Thanks, PatrickRowe. I think that the Residence St James and the Holiday Inn Express together are an excellent place to start. I will check them out. No worries, BeckyBoop. Thanks all the same. I haven’t heard of Les Gets. Have stayed with friends in Martigny. Very pretty spot. Hope the skiing was good! Good thought about LuganoPirate. I definitely welcome his thoughts on the topic. Thanks all! Cheers.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Just come back from a night at the Airport Nash hotel – try to arrive late and leave early – that way you dont have to suffer too much. Euros 150 per night, absolute cr+p.

Am in Zurich next Monday evening, not even started to look for a hotel.

Always worry when the taxi drivers wear gold Rolex’s.

MartynSinclair: Thanks for the laugh! I appreciate your candor. Will avoid the Nash at all costs. I wish you better luck with Zurich. As for the taxi drivers – reminds me a little bit of my few visits to Monte Carlo. Another city not lacking in luxury (and expensive) establishments. I stayed at Loew’s (now the Fairmont). Lovely hotel, and probably among the most inexpensive of four- and five-star properties in the city. Great location on a promontory over the Mediterranean.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Just as an add on, i am an SPG follower – and yes with a Plat card, i get treated very very nicely. However, I cant justify Euros 400+ for a nights B & B.

Best advice is to go onto Expedia or similar, choose a decent looking hotel, with a decent looking price.

Oddly (for me), I hadn’t thought of Expedia. Good idea. Thanks. Must say I liked what I saw (briefly) of the Residence St James. Didn’t check prices for our dates, though. Don’t expect it will be exorbitant. Fingers crossed.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

In a rush, but are you willing to stay just outside Geneva? If so I’ll come back with some good suggestions.

Hi LuganoPirate. I hadn’t considered that, but sounds fine. We’ll be there for a week at least, so walking distance to everything is hardly important. Wouldn’t be so bad to set out on day trips each morning, if rail connections to the centre are good. Not sure whether we’ll have a car, or not. Would you say it’s necessary for the places that you have in mind, or would public transit suffice? Thanks very much.

dutchyankee
    Participant

I can only add one comment regarding Geneva having lived there years ago. The summer months are traditionally when a large contingent of the Saudi Royal Family descend on Geneva often taking over one or two of the main hotels (used to always take over the Noga Hilton (now Kempinski) and the Interconti (not on the lake), which then allows the other hotels to raise their prices substantially due to the lack of inventory on the market. I would suggest to secure your room (s) quickly to ensure the best price. The Hotel d’Angleterre is my favorite as it is small, cozy, on the lake (next to the Kempinski), and has a great small bar called the Leopard bar. There are other brands and luxury properties, but for real personal attention and service, this is a winner.

Thanks, dutchyankee. How interesting. You say that it’s an annual thing? Good to keep in mind. I’ve checked out the Angleterre on-line. It certainly does look like a fine option. Will check with them for summer specials (however unlikely). Sadly, I’ve had to rule out the Four Seasons and the Beau-Rivage already! 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls