Hong Kong Airlines suspends LGW from September 2012

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

StephenLondon
    Participant

That was short lived! As found on Airline Route:

As per 04AUG12 GDS inventory display, Hong Kong Airlines is cancelling Hong Kong – London Gatwick daily service starting 03SEP12. Reservation for this flight is closed for travel on/after 03SEP12, although its website shows “sold out”.

This route is currently operated by all-Business Class Airbus A330-200 aircraft, which was launched on 07MAR12. Schedule:

HX875 HKG2335 – 0555+1LGW 330 D
    HX876 LGW2115 – 1700+1HKG 330 D

Airline Route on 24JUN12 reported that the carrier is eyeing cancellation for this route, as the airline closed reservation for all discounted fare types for travel on/after 01SEP12 back then, which signaled the airline is preparing to reduce the service. Hong Kong’s Ming Pao on the same day also reported that the airline is likely to be closed by the end of this year, while some message boards claims after the Olympics. Both were denied by the airline. However in July 2012, the airline closed reservations for all discounted fares on all daily flight, leaving full-fares in Club Premier and Club Classic available, which further signaled possible cancellation.

On 02SEP12, HKG LGW is still showing available, however inbound flight is cancelled.

stevescoots
    Participant

They didnt really give it much of a go did they!,

if they had run the service at discounted prices for a few more months they might have been able to get regulars to stay with them. I for one was going to give them a go as I fly this route every 4 weeks. but when they leapt up to BA and CX prices, and above it was a no go, especially from GTW.

the article reads that they may be closing the airline at the end of the year, is that just bad grammer or will it fold?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

You would think HX would have kept the service going for another few months to see if it would work. September through November are busy months for business travel to HKG.

It’s a pity HX’s concept didn’t work out. Maybe as ‘stevescoots’ has noted, HX’s fares were too close to the four non-stop carriers flying ex-LHR to win business from those residing or working in London and the Southeast.

Then again it had no UK domestic feed traffic. Not everyone in the regions finds LGW convenient.

For example, why trek to LGW from GLA, NCL, MAN or BHX when you can fly with EK via Dubai (or AF/KL/LH etc for that matter) at less cost and with less bother ?

I wonder what will happen to HX’s three brand new, all biz-class A330s ?

Bullfrog
    Participant

With such high start up costs, I’m very surprised HX are withdrawing service so soon after starting. Poor planning in my opinion.

Then again, CX are my preferred airline to Asia & continue to provide a superb service.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

According to Reuters, Hong Kong’s aviation body has halted HX’s expansion following complaints over its service standards.

And here’s a carrier which with its order of 10 x A380s had high hopes of expansion.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/08/03/hongkong-airlines-idINL4E8J31LM20120803

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Was in HK last night flying home. The HK Airlines flight to Gatwick was cancelled – no reason given. And this a full month before they formally close the route.

Shearer
    Participant

Have we learnt nothing from Eos, Silverjet & MaxJet?

LeTigre
    Participant

I have quite a few friends that are Chinese businessmen and others who operate tour companies and they have all enjoyed this service/planned to make use of it. I know it has been especially useful during the Olympics.

However, please do not assume that Hong Kong Airlines was in perfect health before launching these services. It has been under a high debt burden after expanding far too quickly and parent company, Hainan, has not provided enough feed to help these services to work.

It is a real shame that the same week that Lufthansa cancels all its services in one go, after not waiting for profitability, Hong Kong Airlines has dropped a potentially lucrative route after less than five months.

At least BA and Virgin Atlantic do not expect their services to be profitable from day one.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

This was predicted from the first day they flew in… agents were giving them 6 months max. Typical Chinese business mentality…”sell for £100 less then BA/CX and we will get all the business” …. Clueless. All J class operation have had a 100% failure rate, not to mention the all economy budget service going to the same city as this. Did this not start alarm bells ringing??????

AMcWhirter
    Participant

AhMrBond – The other HKG-based carrier which failed on LGW-HKG was Oasis. But Oasis operated two-class not one-class although it was called a budget carrier.

http://www.businesstraveller.asia/archive/2007/may-2007/tried-and-tested/flight-check-oasis-hong-kong-airlines

suzi7777
    Participant

My mother has a ticket for this service out of LGW to HKG roundtrip in September. Ticket was purchased in UK via Expedia. Does anybody know if HK airlines are giving refunds and what one’s rights are? I called their customer service in HK who seem to be clueless on the axing of this service. Thank you for any information.

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

Suzi, you should definitely be entitled to a refund but hopefully this is something that can be done directly from Expedia (or maybe even your credit card company depending on their policy?), because I have heard that HK Airlines are VERY difficult to deal with, very poor customer service.

I agree with everybody here, this route was not given much of a chance, but also I don’t know how much promotion HKA put behind it, I’m from Sydney and despite HKA having some shared ticketing with both Qantas and Virgin Atlantic for the SYD-HKG or MEL-HKG leg there was no advertising anywhere, no media coverage at all except for AusBT, and this is something which should have been in the mainstream press like the Sydney Morning Herald etc.

LeTigre
    Participant

Suzi, don’t worry too much, the airline has not officially canceled this route yet, please wait and see. Otherwise, there are four options for refunds: the airline, expedia, atol (if packaged), or your insurance.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

SteveJohnsonIn0z – There has been absolutelly NO advertising in the UK for this. Again – I have dealt with the Chinese before and this total lack of ‘interest’ ,for want of a better expression, is par for the course,.. yet they expect results. No one knows this carrier exists outside the trade…. Ditto go to China Eastern / Southern et al.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls