Holiday Season rip off

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

SwissExPat
    Participant

Am doing a series of Car Hire bookings for the next few months.

It comes as no surprise that all the agencies are adding a Premium for the Xmas period.

I am renting from Europcar for 4 days in early December at a cost of Euro 78 for a Category 4 car (VW Golf)

The same car rented from the same station commencing on 24 December is Euro 279 !!!

I have decided to use public transport instead for this period and not give in to this form of Rip off.

I accept that private companies will charge what they can get away with and all the usual Capitalist stuff but it seems that the above is excessive [Note Hetrz and Avis are approx the same]

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Peak season its the same with flights, hotels etc… It makes it very difficult for families who want to take their little ones away. The problem is if people pay these prices then companies like Hertz and Avis will still continue to charge these stupid prices.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I don’t really have a problem with this; increased demand increases prices, there’s nothing new in that.

I do try and avoid the contraction “Xmas”.

Xmas is such a horrid term, it’s Christmas, that’s what we’re celebrating.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Ordinarily I’d agree about the abbreviation etc but in this Secular world, it is hard to avoid. I despair at hearing this period referred to as ‘Holidays’ or ‘Happy Holidays’ but the PC people have all the control now!!

Also I find it a little difficult to accept that other people’s ‘Celebrating’ results in others being asked to dish out an extra Euro201 for a few days car hire.

erodriguez
    Participant

SwissExPat-
    While you/some may be celebrating Christmas there are many other people that are celebrating Chanukah, Kwanzaa, New Year etc.

Sounds to me like many holy-days taking place around the same time…perhaps saying “Happy Holidays” shows the world that there is more to religion than the Christian faith? Not so PC if you ask me- just enlightened and aware of different people’s traditions and faiths.

BigDog.
    Participant

You are correct Erodriguez.
    It is generally believed that Christians hijacked the late December date in the first place as it was already a pagan holiday – so in fact Xmas is more appropriate.

Researchers believe Christ was more likely to be born in March.

Apparently
    – There is no evidence of a Census being held in winter as it would be self defeating as few people would want to travel.
    – Shepherds likewise would have had their flocks in the shed due to winter.
    – Astronomers have mapped back star alignment for the period and haven’t found a match, nor prior to 4 BC which is believed to be the more likely year.

VintageKrug
    Participant

One can be aware of others’ celebrations without compromising the celebration – and name – of one’s own.

Like SwissExPat, I do think it’s important, where possible, not to compromise by removing Christ from Christmas.

We shouldn’t perpetuate the use of “Xmas” if we can avoid doing so, nor do I believe it’s “enlightened” to do so.

erodriguez
    Participant

VK-

Two different arguments altogether:

The use of XMas in place of Christmas and
    The use of Holidays in place of Christmas/Xmas

Replacing the word “holiday” with XMAS is equally as “unenlightened” as replacing it with Christmas. Both names for the holiday period perpetuate the idea that only a Christian holiday is taking place.

VintageKrug
    Participant

No it isn’t. The Holiday I celebrate is Christmas. It should be referred to as such, and not bastardised into Xmas.

If others are using alternative terms for their own holidays, that’s fine, but I defend their right to use their own terms just as strongly as I’ll defend my and others right to use the term Christmas.

The terms “holidays” is equally contemptible as Xmas in my eyes.

There is no suggestion that using the term Christmas suggests it is the only celebration taking place (although on that particular day, it may well be) and it’s invidious to suggest we shouldn’t use the term in case we cause offence to others.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@VK, agree with you about all the PC crap these days. One of my Team was actually told off last year by one of our guests when he wished them a Merry Christmas, he was told it was better to wish them a Happy Festive Season!!! As it was on 24 December, I found this to be ridiculous. I think Xmas is fine for Texting or SMS but it is not an abbreviation I use elsewhere, and I am not even slightly religious, I just prefer Christmas.

tiggerbrown
    Participant

Xmas

Stringfellow
    Participant

It seems to me the people celebrating the holiday get to decide the name. I have Jewish, Muslim and Sikh employees (and many falling into no religious groups) and the idea that I would rename say ‘Rosh Hashanah’ as RoshH or ‘Eid Al-Adha’ as ‘Eddy’ is as offensive as it is stupid. Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ and for Christians (as well as the other monolithic religions) is an important time of the year that is devalued by name changing. As a further point my Muslim secretary wishes me “Happy Christmas’ every year and once took the time during a long flight to Florida to explain the importance of Jesus and his birth in the Islamic faith.

erodriguez
    Participant

Hey Stringfellow,

Thanks for your post. It seems that your secretary took the time and interest to recognize your individual religious beliefs and wish you an appropriate holiday greeting- “Happy Christmas.”

Was it “PC crap” of her to do so? No, it was intelligent and considerate.

Perhaps those advocating a “Happy Christmas” only message would look to her as an example of the thought that should be behind the greetings we share during the holiday season (yes, the season where Christmas Chanukah, etc. are celebrated)…

Dutch Yankee- if it was December 24 or 25 and there was no other holiday going on, then please, send all the Merry Christmas greetings you wish- that is a logical thought process as the ONLY holiday is Christmas..Now, when its December 1 and people are gearing up for several holidays shouldn’t it be more considerate to wish people happy HOLYdays?

dutchyankee
    Participant

@erodriguez, exactly my point that these guests were following the typical American ‘PC crap’ even on Christmas Eve. We always send Holiday Greeting cards during the Festive/Holiday season to avoid offending anyone. I fully agree, if you know someone’s religious background, and you can wish them the correct holiday greeting then of course that makes sense so I meant no offense regarding ‘PC Crap.’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls