Hightened security at UK airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

KLM among other airlines are flagging increased security at UK airports in the wake of the Manchester bombing last week.

Has anyone experienced what this means in practice? I am flying through EDI tomorrow and wondered what extra time to allow.

capetonianm
    Participant

I flew from NQY early this morning. No visible extra security in or around the building.

The normal security controls were incredibly slow, only two channels open with three imminent departures. A bit of a shambles.

At LGW now, and again, nothing to be seen.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Extra security is probably more armed police with fingers on triggers at critical points. Possibly in airside security ‘though not apparent or obvious, and if you go about your normal business it won’t make any difference to go to your flight.

capetonianm
    Participant

Earlier this evening I saw an unattended BMW X5 or whatever those big 4WD things are, parked on a double yellow line outside the Premier Inn at LGW, directly opposite the main entrance to the North Terminal. Over an hour later, and by now it was dark, it was still there, unlit, so I walked across the road to where there were a couple of police officers and politely pointed it out to them. They asked me if I’d checked with the hotel to see if it was anything to do with the hotel!

So much for heightened security.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I tend to agree with Flightlevel on this one. I was seeing someone off from Malpensa and while there were a few more Carabinieri than usual the security lines were the usual length.

Parking outside was as usual chaotic with cars triple parking and the police taking not much notice!

Charles-P
    Participant

I departed Nice airport this morning and the security was immense. Even though we went through the private business aviation terminal there was still extensive checks and we saw both police and military patrols air-side. I assumed this was just because of the Grand Prix but was told this was now common there with all staff being reminded daily to be vigilant.

TominScotland
    Participant

For all the anticipation, just 3 mins through EDI this afternoon!!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls