Hertz rip off

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

lesmclaren
    Participant

Beware if you are a Presidents Circle or presumably any member that uses their Card provider insurance. I have been a PC member for many years and used my Amex insurance instead of Hertz insurance since introduction. Recently I noticed that the hire rates quoted when I enter my Profile page looked to be unrealistically high. So I checked the “ordinary” Hertz site and also called central reservations to find that Hertz are trying to totally rip me off. Todays example [4 Feb 14] for a one day rental Ford Focus class at LHR. Profile site: GBP277.37. Hertz.co.uk site: GBP 42.96 for a pre pay / GBP48 for on site pay.
    I have spoken to Hertz in Norway where I live. According to them it is because I do not take their insurance!!! So I am paying more than 6 times more to pay for something I don’t want??? I have asked for a Senior Manager at Hertz UK to call me, nothing so far!!
    So good bye Hertz, after 20 years of loyalty and renting more than 30 times a year. I am sure you can afford to loose your best customers!!

Papillion53
    Participant

I have also found that rates can be higher when checking when logged into my No1 Hertz Gold than on the “regular” site! It pays to check!

CXDiamond
    Participant

I agree – never log in to get a rate, it’s always a rip off.

alanorton
    Participant

I needed a car for a 3 day trip to Valencia, travelling later this month.
    The Amex Plat / No 1 Gold rate was higher than the January promotion they were running, from what I could see online.
    So I called Hertz, and the agent confirmed the promotion rate was indeed lower (I don’t have any insurance on my profile). We spoke briefly about it, the agent then asked who I was flying with. I admitted it was Ryanair, and he promptly offered me a lower rate still!

I find Hertz so inconsistent I put all my US car rental business through National, whose Emerald / Executive Aisle is excellent, IMHO.

NTarrant
    Participant

I’m surprised that this is still going on as it was flagged up on here a few years ago.

I too have found the No 1 Club prices more than the standard. In fact if the site is a franchise, such as Jersey you can book direct and get a better price, but forget ever getting an miles or nectar points.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve always booked using the lowest tariff possible, never by first logging in for the precise reason mentioned by Les. Then when I go to pick up the car I show my card and get all the relevant points, or I claim them after by entering the rental number etc.

Having said that, I now book using online rental sites which give even better rates rather than remain loyal to any one particular company, after all, they don’t remain loyal to me!

The only exception is Hertz Lugano, as they are just a 5 minute downhill walk away and the manager, Barbara, is wonderful. Always upgrading me and often letting me off if I’m back a little later than I should. They also have a petrol pump in front of the office thus avoiding a refuelling charge.

Also, for just CHF 10 they will come and collect the car from me, saving me an uphill walk back home!!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I should add, I use my Amex and I don’t take their insurance being covered by the card.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Indeed logging in with the Gold No 1 and obtaining a rate is more expensive than a non registered customer. The CDP code 633306 can obtain 5% discount. In all my years of renting from Hertz, I have never been given points and when I called last month to ask why, I was told because I never registered for points. Well .. as a Gold No ! member, I thought the points would automatically accrue, but sadly not, and can’t be added now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls