Gouda and Dolcelatte? Oh, no it wasn't

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• TiredOldHack2
    Participant

BA Club World back from Costa Rica last week. I’m fond of my cheese, and BA has had some excellent Cheddars in CW, so I tend to spurn a dessert in favour of the cheese (and a glass of port).

The menu claimed it was Dolcelatte and Gouda. One bite of the ‘Dolcelatte’ showed it wasn’t. It was a Danish Blue analogue, probably made in Colombia by Alpina Productos. The Gouda wasn’t firm, but elastic and rubbery and the same applies.

If you’re wondering, I’ve visited Alpina as part of what I laughingly call work. It really is my job to know these things, sometimes.

I ate it anyway and gently enquired of the cabin crew (who were, I have to say, excellent on the flight back from SJO to LGW, and on the outward leg also) whether the cheese had been loaded in Europe or Costa Rica. It was Costa Rica.

“It’s not Dolcelatte and it’s not Gouda…” They were startled and a bit embarrassed – apparently, so far, I’m the only person who’s called BA’s bluff.

It’s just a small thing but, come on, BA, you can’t fool all the people all of the time.

capetonianm
    Participant

They offered me a (miserable) choice of wines on a flight to CPT. I asked for a South African one and then asked to see the bottle. Thought, ‘that’s not one I’ve heard of’, looked more closely at the bottle, and saw it was marked ‘SA’, as in South Australia. The young fellow said : “Oh well it’s pretty much the same thing, isn’t it.”

I said : “No it’s not, but don’t worry, I’ll drink it anyway.”

canucklad
    Participant

Could this be the start of the BA Cheese & Winegate Scandal ? : )

On a bit of a serious(ish) note, aren’t cabin crew trained on the basics of wine, especially if they’re serving up in a premium cabin?
    And as a cheese lover myself, it does seem a bit odd, after all, and TOH2, I’d love to know……Isn’t Gouda only allowed to be called Gouda if its made I Holland ?

It does show a lack of attention to detail however , which sadly reflects on it’s premiumness (made up word) or rather lack of it !

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=863937]They offered me a (miserable) choice of wines on a flight to CPT. I asked for a South African one and then asked to see the bottle. Thought, ‘that’s not one I’ve heard of’, looked more closely at the bottle, and saw it was marked ‘SA’, as in South Australia. The young fellow said : “Oh well it’s pretty much the same thing, isn’t it.”[/quote]

Sounds like a good way to get a party started, when you have some bokkies and wallabies in close proximity 😉

esselle
    Participant

Of course they are trained canucklad!

The clearer of the wines are white, the less clear ones are red.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

The clearer of the wines are white, the less clear ones are red.

Ah, but what about Merolest?

esselle
    Participant

Ah yes!

I think it has been upgraded (or enhanced) to Spanish burgundy, given the ownership structure.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=863941]
    And as a cheese lover myself, it does seem a bit odd, after all, and TOH2, I’d love to know……Isn’t Gouda only allowed to be called Gouda if its made I Holland ? [/quote]

No, if you just call it Gouda – or Edam – there’s no PGI (Protected Geographical Indication). If ‘Holland’ is added to the name, then it must be Dutch.

The Geeks successfully managed to get PGI for feta cheese some years back.

handbag
    Participant

[quote quote=863950]Of course they are trained canucklad!

The clearer of the wines are white, the less clear ones are red.[/quote]

Long time since I did my initial trining in the 80s, but the ongoing training is “make yourselves familiar with the wines in the cabin you are working”. We are regularly sent updates on any wine changes that differ from menu. Other than that we are expected to read the description that is in the menu before a service.

openfly
    Participant

One bright young lady in First knew exactly the process for offering and serving the wine. She showed the label. Offered a tasting, poured a little into the glass, waited for the approval and then poured. Perfectly served…Highland Spring!!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

esselle

A horrible thought crosses my mind – what happens if you inadvertently mix fake dolcelatte with Merolest?

Hazchem incident? 😉

Metmanmart
    Participant

Your right…Sadly the “New” crew operating as Mixed Fleet don’t know their a**e from their elbows…They are young,inexperienced and haven’t got the knowledge
    of the original World Wide Crew who, sadly, BA is desperate to get rid of…Pay peanuts and you get monkeys….This is the result of Cruz and Walsh destroying the
    brand of BA by moving to a cheaply run airline…Its a sad state of affairs when they push tho “oldies” out of the airline…..

nevereconomy
    Participant

I guess I have reached the age/life experience/common sense/realization of what makes me happy that I have to ask why anyone with a lifeis wasting their time and effort on this topic.

esselle
    Participant

nevereconomy

Schoolboy humour at its worst. Nothing more.

Relax.

Cheeryguy
    Participant

I wonder if they know the correct use of “your” and “you’re”?[quote quote=864334]Your right…Sadly the “New” crew operating as Mixed Fleet don’t know their a**e from their elbows…They are young,inexperienced and haven’t got the knowledge
    of the original World Wide Crew who, sadly, BA is desperate to get rid of…Pay peanuts and you get monkeys….This is the result of Cruz and Walsh destroying the
    brand of BA by moving to a cheaply run airline…Its a sad state of affairs when they push tho “oldies” out of the airline…..[/quote]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls