Going rate for delayed luggage compensation?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

stevescoots
    Participant

So, after many many years of flying I have for the first time arrived with me in one place and my luggage in another, i dont expect to be reunited with it for a couple of days but I suppose my luck was due to run out sooner or later.

whats the average compensation for delayed baggage, if any? just so I know where to pitch my request

IanFromHKG
    Participant

It depends on where you are, which airline you flew with, and which class you were travelling.

By way of illustration, though, on a recent trip from the US to London on BA in CW I was told I could spend up to GBP150 for “immediate needs” – they didn’t provide the cash up-front, I had to send in receipts and claim after the event. I spent a bit less than the limit, sent in the receipts and received the refund pretty quickly.

My luggage had ended up being routed via Miami instead of the route I took via Chicago. To BA’s credit, they located it and delivered it to my hotel the same day (about 12 hours after I landed)

stevescoots
    Participant

was with QR, business class. many years flying them (5 years gold) and never had a problem so dont feel the need to be an sob with them. I have all i need in my apartment in China so not having the stuff isnt an issue, its just the pain of Mine and my PA’s wasted time, got to be worth some points from them.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Did QR not give you any guidance when you reported the missing bag at the airport?

My only experiences with these have been BA (as described in my earlier post) and United on a domestic flight, where it took four days to get my luggage delivered (!), unnumerable phone calls chasing, and I ended up with….. (drumroll please) … a $100 voucher to use on an international flight. Since I never fly United internationally (and didnt intend to start just for a measly hundred bucks) I wasn’t terribly impressed. They didn’t even give me a cash reimbursement for the stuff I had to buy while waiting for the luggage (mercifully restricted to a couple of pairs of ski socks, so it would hardly have broken their bank) or the phone calls…

Given your status and the fact that the items/cash don’t seem that important to you, I would call the membershp hotline and ask them to make you an offer…

stevescoots
    Participant

they told me at the airport it was still in Doha and that it would be delivered to me today, fingers crossed as they only have 1 flight per day in CAN. I will ask them why as I had almost a 3 hr layover and often if I use them into hkg its only an hour and bags always come through. looked like mine was also the only bag missing. I will see if it turns up today before calling them…if it dosnt then my line will be a bit different

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Understandable!

How do you find QR into HK? I may look to using them once they join oneworld…

stevescoots
    Participant

Ian, i think you will prefer CX if doing HK to LHR due to the direct flight and good product. That said for quality of service, food etc QR is my carrier of choice on LHR to HKG or CAN route. I find them very good in terms of the product, service and in flight. It also helps that on average they are over £1000 cheaper than CX/BA etc, as gold i can usually earn enough points after 5 trips to get a free one without availablity issues.

btw, I got my luggage back, had a call from customer services manager in Doha, very apoligetic, got points and a free change of ticket saving me a 6 hour layover in Doha on my shuttle in April (equivelent to £400 if i had originally booked the shorter stop) I cannot complian at that, I told them I wasnt interested in cash, just reimberse me for my time

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Dear Steve

You have done well to get the bag so quickly and withh good compensation … you have also done well to have only been separated from your bag once. I think my score is about 5, I am losing count.

The worst time was, in about 2003, when a group of Finnish passengers and I were treated outrageously by the check-in manager for an airline we are not mentioning during Lent, at an airport outside London. We made our complaint, and our bags went to Madrid while we went to Finland. After three days in Turku, my bag arrived at the airport at the moment I was checking in for the return flight.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls