Getting from Heathrow to Central London

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

• kevin46
    Participant

Can I add bus no. 7 from all terminals to Slough bus station (approx 40mins) which is adjacent to the train station, for SW trains.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Excellent, thank you. Good tip.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Actually do you mean good for SW as in South West Trains or just the South West via Great Western?

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Tom,

Slough is for connecting to the Great Western not South West Trains. I have done this before but it’s not especially convenient as most trains coming from the West and Wales don’t stop at Slough. Reading is normally the final stop before London so you would use the Railair bus instead. The Slough buses have the advantage of being cheaper though and more frequent.

On a separate point, does anyone know if the new Elizabeth trains from Maidenhead will actually go via Heathrow or will Maidenhead trains bypass Heathrow? I ask because I am sure there must be plans to extend the Elizabeth lines to Reading as that would provide a far more convenient interchange.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Bath_VIP

There is more information on LHR rail services in the piece I wrote for our Online News.

Heathrow to central London rail improvements by December 2019

LHR is a spur line. As I noted above it was funded by the former BAA and therefore does not form part of the national rail network.

Here’s the link with map with more details of TFL’s Elizabeth Line.

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/improvements-and-projects/elizabeth-line

travelsforfun
    Participant

Bath_VIP,

Last year it was confirmed that – following completion of the Reading station modernisation – the Elizabeth line will indeed run as far as Reading.

Heathrow is served by a branch off the Great Western Main Line – so some Elizabeth line trains will serve Heathrow and others will head towards Maidenhead and Reading – but it’s not possible for a train to serve both. Travelling from Maidenhead to Heathrow will be possible, but with a change of trains at Hayes & Harlington (as today, but more frequent, at least 4 connections per hour).

There are also future plans for a Western Rail Link which would plug the Great Western Main Line (near Langley) directly into T5, but these are still some way from fruition (and still require funding). I think a Network Rail consultation on a potential scheme is due later this year.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

With the rail improvements comes the news that the government wants to levy a congestion/pollution fee to access LHR by car.

It could be as high as £15.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/plans-to-charge-motorists-15-to-enter-congestion-cordon-around-heathrow-airport-to-tackle-toxic-air-a3582196.html

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Glad to hear that the Elizabeth line will go out to Reading.

One thing that strikes me about the new line is that it may not be that fast. Does anyone know if the new trains are faster than current trains? I am familiar with the Reading to Paddington line and currently a stopping train takes about 1 hour 10 mins in total.

openfly
    Participant

£15 to enter Heathrow in a vehicle!!!

1. That should kill the need for a third runway, stone dead, as short-haul flights die.
    2. Completely block Hounslow as passengers catch the tube for the last few miles.
    3. Help Gatwick get permission for their second runway.
    4. Will the £15 charge apply to horse and carriages? Get dropped off in Colnbrook and continue by carriage….just like in the 17th century across Hounslow Heath!!

Farcical…..

K1ngston
    Participant

In answer to someones question previously I have preferred Uber to Black Cabs when I have needed to go to one location in town as they are much cheaper and when you have started your own business every £ matters ….

They were fast efficient easy to find and I have to say the system worked perfectly from LHR T2 and around London too so can’t fault them at all

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@K1ngston – does your uber driver meet you inside the terminal or do you arrange a meeting point outside the terminal or in car park?

canucklad
    Participant

A top tip from me, are for those people using the Piccadilly line and then transferring onto the District line,use Baron Court rather than one of the busier interchanges. Dependant on direction of travel, you don’t need to lug luggage upstairs etc, just cross the same platform and wait. Not sure if Gloucester Road is the same?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Barons Court is a definite there Canucklad and I think Gloucester Road is as well, with the advantage you have also the Circle Line trains.

K1ngston
    Participant

Martyn I dont believe in having to be met in the arrivals lounge I arrange for the driver to meet me outside in the car park and it has always worked well….

travelsforfun
    Participant

Yes, Barons Court is a quieter alternative to Hammersmith when switching between District and Piccadilly lines – and also with the benefits of a cross platform interchange.

However, I tend to use South Kensington because I’m travelling light and it’s a little quicker. There are more District line trains there as well as the Circle line trains also available. It also avoids the District through Earl’s Court which can be painfully slow. The interchange is relatively smooth too.

But Gloucester Road is best avoided – it requires a lift plus stairs and makes for a cumbersome interchange.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls