Friday country name quiz

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• timothy222
    Participant

officially known as Republic of Seychelles

I guess we as english speakers put ‘the’ at the beginning of place names irrespective of the official name because a common noun forms part of their name and therefore we place the definitive article at the front i.e.

The Dominican Republic, The Ivory Coast, The Marshall Islands, The Northern Marianas Islands, The Solomon Islands, The United Arab Emirates, The United Kingdom, The United States of America, The Vatican City, The Czech Republic

Papillion53
    Participant

LP @ 15:59

What about “The Gleneagles” ?????? 😉

BeckyBoop
    Participant

The North Pole? :\

RichHI1
    Participant

Odd BT! I would have said the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland and the United States of America. Going to UK or US sounds wrong.

capetonianm
    Participant

Argentina used to be known as ‘The Argentine’ and Sudan was ‘The Sudan’. There was also ‘The Rhodesias’ and ‘The Rhodesian Federation’ although I’m not sure that was official.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Papillion, our problem is that the kids have just 3 weeks holiday (it’s winter break in S. Africa) , and we twice took an extra ten days at Christmas and Easter, so got a bit of a wigging from the Head.

Mrs. LP who has to face him (while dad hides in the car) does not feel like another telling off so in order to visit all family friends etc we are being grounded in Lugano for the duration!

I hope MartynSinclair is reading this as well but here’s an offer for you both with spouse/kids. Come to Lugano, stay a day or two and be my guest for a round or two at the Lugano Golf Club plus a dinner in one of our excellent eateries! Otherwise it will have to be next year I’m afraid?

Apologies to all for the thread drift.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Here’s another teaser:
    To how many letters of the alphabet, corresponding to countries, have you visited: “The” does not count.

I’ve visited all the letters except for V, W, X and Z. (I don’t think there is a country beginning with “X”).

MartynSinclair
    Participant

LP – thanks for your kind offer. As it happens I will be in Zurich towards the end of next week, but not sure how long you will be around for. More than happy to schedule for your next visit to Lugano, which will give time for Master Sinclair to study the course hole by hole.

With regards to your new teaser:

“I don’t think there is a country beginning with “X”” – I bet there will be one by the end of this thread!!!

VoyageVoyage
    Participant

Have a look and a nice weekend!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18233844

Yetbo65
    Participant

I hope I am right …

1. The Philippines
    2. The Netherlands

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls