Four more days of Air France strikes: April 17/18/23/24

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Announced this afternoon.

Strikes on April 17 and April 18. Also on April 23 and April 24.

Latribune.fr reports that the strikes on April 18/23/24 will coincide with the SNCF rail strikes at that time.

https://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-finance/services/transport-logistique/le-conflit-s-envenime-a-air-france-les-syndicats-deposent-4-jours-de-greve-supplementaires-774182.html

christopheL
    Participant

Dear Alex,
    I know how much important for you is providing your readers with the most accurate and complete information to make their travel as hassle free as possible.
    Strikes are strikes and it is important for your readers to be fully informed. The way airlines deal with strikes is important as well and it is important for your readers to have some information about it.
    AF policy regarding strikes is probably one of the most flexible and efficient you can find in the air travel industry.
    You should let your readers know.

https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm
    Informations re April 17/18/23/24 strike not yet given as these strikes are still to be confirmed (it’s difficult to read French isn’t it ?) but the AF policy regarding change or refund will be the same as for the 10/11 April strike (it’s difficult to write proper english as well, sorry for my numerous mistakes).

Pcoltrav1
    Participant

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to be affiliated with Air France at all, ChristopeL ?

Alsacienne
    Participant

Just to say that in France a union of employees working in the public sector is required to give formal advance warning of strikes to the management involved. The law says that at least 5 clear working days notice must be given. The notification to strike should include the reasons for why the strike has been called, and thus gives management time to reopen negotiations on the factor(s) or reason(s) that are behind the strike call.

It’s probably too early to be certain that these proposed strike days will become certainties … but given that SNCF have also decided to go on strike on 18 and 23 April, this will encourage AF to increase the difficulties of domestic transport as well as international flights.

Note that these ‘strike rules’ only apply to public companies … private ones are subject to other legal requirements.

Whilst it may greatly inconvenience the travelling public at large – and certainly local workers – the stakes are high, because the reforms are far-reaching and the proposals may be vital to the French economy long term …. and I am NOT referring in any sense to Brexit. This post is not intended to annoy other posters, and was just made to clarify what the law says in terms of warnings of national strikes in France.

christopheL
    Participant

Dearoltrav1,

My only affiliations with AF are the following :
    – my nationality and my native tongue,
    – my flyingblue Gold card which is half French half Dutch ! (but let me know I am also a BAEC member),
    – my godfather who used to work for Air Inter (merged within AF in the early 90th) before he retired,
    – a friend of mine who has been an AF cabin crew (but let me note that another friend of mine is a KLM cabin crew)
    – the father of another friend of mine who as been an AF pilot (he retired more than 10 years ago).

The fact is that there is a certain degree of fatigue arised by what may be considered (what I consider as a French national) as biased comments each time either AF or or even French people in there globality are mentioned on this forum.

I am reading an international business traveller website and I find it very strange that so many people here have absolutely no clue of what diversity is.

It is all the more regrettable given promoting diversity seems to be a key challenge in the UK.

I can understand Alex or Tom when they point out the importance to inform readers of disruption in case they have booked AF flights on strike dates but I think it is also very important to tell readers that should they have a booking for an AF flight on a strike date they have a lot of opportunities to either postpone, rebook on another AF or KLM flight or even cancel there booking without having to give a call to a call center.

capetonianm
    Participant

Alsacienne : Thank you for that input, it was something I was not aware of and is helpful in understanding the process of strikes.

The fact is that there is a certain degree of fatigue arised by what may be considered (what I consider as a French national) as biased comments each time either AF or or even French people in there globality are mentioned on this forum.

christopheL : I suspect you are being oversensitive, dare I say a flocon de neige. I don’t think comments about the French are biased, but simply factual and therefore negative, but you surely can understand that people all over Europe and further are sick and tired of being inconvenienced by these strikes which occur with monotonous regularity. Every French president vows to improve the situation and doesn’t. If this goes on, and it will, I don’t see much hope for Macron’s chances in the next election.

The information you’ve posted about rebookings etc. is useful, and I accept that French transport organisations are good at dealing with disruption caused by strikes. They ought to be, they have plenty of practice in dealing with it.

Pcoltrav1
    Participant

@ christopheL – Fair enough and thank you for the information. While my responses may not always show it – I am (and I am sure others are also) very grateful for your input.

Nothing of what you say is wrong and it’s all helpful in my opinion. I am hoping I don’t have to delay much since my wife is a teacher and has to be back in the UK by 18th April !

Good luck to everyone (myself included).

christopheL
    Participant

“I accept that French transport organisations are good at dealing with disruption caused by strikes. They ought to be, they have plenty of practice in dealing with it.”

This is the kind of comment which is absolutely useless and which is only adding fuel on the fire.

Thank you Capetonianm for this remarquable illustration of what has become a disappointing practice on this forum.

capetonianm
    Participant

My comment is factual. It is no different to saying :

“I accept that Finnish transport organisations are good at dealing with disruption caused by snow and extreme cold. They ought to be, they have plenty of practice in dealing with it.”

That you don’t like it really proves my point. You are being over-sensitive in defending the actions of your compatriots.

christopheL
    Participant

I am afraid you misunderstood my sensitivity.
    I am not at all defending the actions of my compatriots (as far as strikes by AF/SNCF staff are concerned).
    I am just claiming for some more objectivity on this forum which includes comprehensive information when information is given and less bashing (or “factual comment”) when no information is given.

capetonianm
    Participant

Regle numero 1 : Les Francais ont toujours raison.
    Regle numero 2 : Les etrangers ont toujours tort.
    Regle numero 3 : Pas la peine de discuter avec un Francais.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

CONFIRMED

Air France has now confirmed that the strikes on April 17 and April 18 will be taking place.

https://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm

It’s understood that Air France will be providing details of flight operations during these two days of strike action later today.

rferguson
    Participant

I think the alternatives offered by AF are pretty standard during periods of industrial action for airlines in europe.

Delving into the political aspect – what I find most interesting is I always assumed that paid up trade union membership in France must be super high for the unions to be able to wield so much power and cause so much disruption which no doubt affects the french nationals themselves more than anyone abroad. I guess that would make sense – most french workers are paid up union members, they see the government wanting to come down hard on unions (and as a result their T&C’s), they want to defend the unions, thus the unions are really strong. SO I was shocked to read the other week (in an article discussing the SNCF strikes) that only 11% of french workers are actually in a trade union. I can’t remember where I read the article but googling I found this older (2014) article from The Economist which states that union membership was 8% then. So how can they hold so much sway when surely the majority of the french workers must see that perks enjoyed by SNCF train drivers (retirement in the early 50’s, automatic pay rises etc) as a no longer sustainable utopia? Or Air France workers can surely see how poorly the airline is performing financially in comparison to the likes of ‘industrially reformed’ airlines in europe (including their sister KLM)?

The Economist article explains a little
    https://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/03/economist-explains-15

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Pilots’ union rejects latest pay offer from AF management according to reports in French media. [FR].

Looks as though next week’s strike will go ahead.

http://bfmbusiness.bfmtv.com/entreprise/greve-air-france-les-pilotes-refusent-la-proposition-indecente-de-la-direction-1421154.html

FaroFlyer
    Participant

We taught the French everything they know about strikes. Makes you proud to be a Brit:-)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls