Footwear screening at GVA

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• traveldoc1
    Participant

Just been through the excellent security at Geneva – a lesson in how every airport should function. On this occasion they had a mat which passengers can stand on to assess whether – or not – they need to remove footwear. I haven’t seen this anywhere else – what an excellent device! BKK has recently installed full body scanners which now requires EVERYONE to take off shoes – surely defeating the upgrading of equipment. GVA shows how security can be thorough AND hassle free.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Talking of footwear, it is all hit and miss. I often travel in a pair of really comfy soft leather boots with metal decorative studs. Most of the boot is hidden beneath my jeans, but I am stunned as the bleeper has never gone off & I have never been asked to remove them in London. BKK yes… Fra T2 yes.. T1 no.

stevescoots
    Participant

same here, i often travel in a leather chukka boot and get waved through someone next to me might be in slip on deck shoes and asked to remove them

LuganoPirate
    Participant

If I wear “business” shoes I have to remove them. A security officer at Zurich once showed me on the x-ray the metal plate that runs from toe to heel. I never knew shoes had these. But if I wear my Timberland loafers I never have to remove them, even in the US.

Ahmad
    Participant

LP, I also found out about the metal plate when a friendly officer showed it to me at FRA years ago. Since then, when travelling, I always wear Bally loafers with a rubber sole. No metal and good come rain or shine. Barring a few exceptions, only been asked to remove them where they don’t allow anyone with shoes to go through.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well, it is not what is visible that rings… I most of the time fly with the same shoes, a very comfy pair of double buckles English shoes. It never rings … excepted in Geneva on these famous new devices. So usually I just skip these new pads, and if asked, tell the officer my shoes won’t ring. Why?Because my shoes have no metal in their structure (as it is the case for many UK built shoes), contrarily to many US well known brands.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

As GVA is my regular airport, may I add that the new gadget is good, and I endorse the comment of the priginal poster. My only problem is that it is easy to trip over the box that includes the kit to work the shoe-scanners.

Generally, GVA gets very high marks for its security screening on the Swiss side – in the French terminal it is a little more primitive. C’est la vie.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Agree, David. The only problem I face sometime is with the fast track gates when travelling in economy but entitled to fast track…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls