Flying on the 747 from LHR to SEA in May!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• MarkivJ
    Participant

Hi folks,
    I’m flying Club world on the 747.
    1. I’ve never flown in the Upper Deck before so I’ve chosen seat 60A. How is it? Feedback? Would main deck be better? Right now, looks like I’m the only person in the upper deck!
    2. I’d read BA was in the process of retrofitting its 747s. Is that programme done? Is the one they fly to SEA retrofitted?

Thanks in advance!

MarkivJ
    Participant

I’m flying out of Seattle on the 777-300ER which I did last year as well.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

60A is not the best seat in the cabin.

Most people I know prefer 64A or 64K – my preference is the latter, as the lav module keeps light from the galley out of your eyes.

The exit seats (63A/K) can be very cold if there is a leaky door seal, so I’d avoid those.

Do not even think about the main deck, it’s rubbish compared to upstairs.

Unfortunately, you are likely to fly on an unrefurbished 747, the condition of which could vary from okay to held together with speed tape.

But you could be lucky, there might be a subsitution to a refurbed 747.

openfly
    Participant

….exit seats are 62A/K and for some strange reason 63B/J.
    All BA 747s are “refurbished”. The only difference is the configuration, the number of Club seats fitted.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I used to be big fan of the upper deck on the 747 & would still elect to take 60J / k. I know others like row 64 so you do not need to climb over peoples legs to if you need to get out of your seat.

More so than on most airlines, your enjoyment of the upper deck, will be dependant upon the service provided by the crew (usually either brilliant or cr*p) and more importantly, the person you are forced to stare at for part of the flight.

Gold-2K
    Participant

I would go for 64A/K in preference to 62A/K. Both rows have the advantage of easy access but I’ve always found row 62 to be very cold due to proximity to exit right next to your feet.

Although any window seat on upper deck is ok with extra storage space from the side lockers so def choose these in preference to the main deck.

As others have said, service can be very crew dependant but in any case, will always be better on the upper deck as only 20 seats.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Hi MarkivJ, as others have said the Club World Upper Deck is vastly superior to the Club World main deck on BA 747s. The only time I’ve been on the CW main deck I greatly regretted it, especially as I had an aisle seat – to me, the CW window seats are very much better.

Regarding the best window seat on the Upper Deck, I’ve been in many of them and didn’t find much difference (I know others disagree).

Hope you have a great flight!

ASEANTraveller
    Participant

My favourite seat is actually 61K. Benefits: window, away from the galley, temperature not impacted by exit doors, no light from opening toilet doors and not adjacent to a toilet (flushing sounds). The obvious draw back is that you have to climb over your neighbour to get out, but since I just typically sleep on flights (and maybe use the wash room only once) the benefits far outweigh this drawback, at least for me. Safe travels!

Defcon5
    Participant

Should have chosen Virgin and gone on the Dreamliner. Next time ….

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Seat 64 was my preference for the same reason as Martyn states.

Upper deck deifinitey preferred due mainly to the fact that you ahve additional storage bins by your side if you choose a window seat.

Upstairs also feels a little more premium because it’s fairly small.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Thank you all so much for your responses. I chose 64K as 64A was already taken!

MarkivJ
    Participant

[quote quote=798790]Should have chosen Virgin and gone on the Dreamliner. Next time ….

[/quote]
    I would love to try them someday! I only picked BA to ensure I make it to Ruby status (AAdvantage Gold) for 2018! I’ll get 21000 miles for this flight, should be easily able to do another 4K before year end.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=798962]Thank you all so much for your responses. I chose 64K as 64A was already taken!

[/quote]

You might find that 64A becomes available at -72 hours, as it is a bassinet position and may not be required as such.

It has more length than 64K (I’m 178cms, and find the latter long enough), but galley light can shine into your space, so it’s swings and roundabouts.

capetonianm
    Participant

As pointed out, it’s largely dependent on the crew, but definitely upper deck if in CW. I don;t like the rear facing but if you want a window seat, there’s no choice, just something else I don’t like. If all the 747s have been refurbished, I would question when that happened. Some of the ones they operate on the CPT route are 26 years old and the interiors look it.

The one I flew on a few weeks ago was rattly, probably on overhead locker that had a loose latch which buzzed and rattled half the night, the IFE didn’t work and they offered me another seat where it worked intermittently, with poor sound and picture quality. The flat bed would only go down and had to be raised manually, one person pushing the control and the other having the seat up. The food was mediocre, the choice of wine poor, and despite the efforts of one outstanding female cabin attendant, the service was indifferent.

CW is poor value and there are far better value products out there, even on BA.

Kass
    Participant

[quote quote=798591]Hi folks,
    I’m flying Club world on the 747.
    1. I’ve never flown in the Upper Deck before so I’ve chosen seat 60A. How is it? Feedback? Would main deck be better? Right now, looks like I’m the only person in the upper deck!
    2. I’d read BA was in the process of retrofitting its 747s. Is that programme done? Is the one they fly to SEA retrofitted?

Thanks in advance!

[/quote]

The jumbo is an amazing aircraft, queen of the skies, and upstairs is like a little pvt jet, unless you get a screaming baby of course…
    best seats are aft of the exits, and window seats have extra storage lockers at side so that’s nice too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls