Flyertalk BA Forum is a nasty site

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)

• scotia
    Participant

[quote quote=760524]And welcome to the forum, scotia!
    [/quote]

Thank you for the welcome icenspice!

It seems other members here are not so welcoming. Apparently I’m a “troll” simply because I pointed out they had made an incorrect statement, but seem unwilling to accept they got it wrong! My first impressions from posting here is that this forum is even more ‘cliquey’ than Flyertalk can sometimes be!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am a lurker on FF and have met a couple of the moderators from the SPG site. I find it very impersonal with lots of baseless and unsupported posts. I think each serves its purpose, but my preference remains with the knowledgebase on BT forum…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

God to hear – well we don’t moderate very actively but we seem to be largely self-policing at the moment, which is wonderful. I hope we can have robust debate without people getting offended, and there’s always the “Report” button if you want to alert us to something.
    That said, the purpose of the forum is to entertain and share useful knowledge – but we aren’t aiming to compete with the global forums such as FlyerTalk, thank goodness.

JohnHarper
    Participant

I haven’t looked at Flyertalk for years until DoS highlighted the thread.

I noticed that post #9 was from a handle that pops up here from time to time, never posts anything useful and is abusive, good to see they behave the same way there.

I agree with Simon though: from past experience the posters who post large amounts of information are sacred cows and others are dismissed. That said some of those sacred cows post with such regularity and at such volume I do wonder when they ever do any traveling at all as FT seems to keep them busy all day every day. All in all there is good information in places on FT but the BA forum is a pretty sick place.

There might be highs and lows here but it’s much better information posted by people who I always think talk from a basis of real travel.

MrMichael
    Participant

JohnHarper +1.

I only really read this forum as I find it on the whole personable and informative. I do nose around flyertalk from time to time but have never posted (or at least I don’t recall doing so). I do have some fundamental differences of opinion with a couple of posters on here, but I do respect their views and I hope, have never said anything that was personal or offensive. It is there that the difference is, disagreeing with someone does not need to end up in personal abuse, and on this forum I am pleased to say it rarely does. I personally relish opposing views as that is how we learn more and sometimes can change our views. I have been persuaded on here more than once to change my views on an issue and am glad I did.

I still think BA is the best airline in the world though, always has been, always will be. I will persuade you all one day šŸ˜‰

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=760657]JohnHarper +1.

I only really read this forum as I find it on the whole personable and informative. I do nose around flyertalk from time to time but have never posted (or at least I donā€™t recall doing so). I do have some fundamental differences of opinion with a couple of posters on here, but I do respect their views and I hope, have never said anything that was personal or offensive. It is there that the difference is, disagreeing with someone does not need to end up in personal abuse, and on this forum I am pleased to say it rarely does. I personally relish opposing views as that is how we learn more and sometimes can change our views. I have been persuaded on here more than once to change my views on an issue and am glad I did.

I still think BA is the best airline in the world though, always has been, always will be. I will persuade you all one day ?

[/quote]

Yep, we can disagree in a friendly way on here and play the ball, not the man.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Looked at Flyertalk – very complicated! On it years ago & it was simpler then, I guess Travelbuzz is the only general forum though not comparable to BT. One needs to consider competitor airlines, lounges,etc. not just be a critic to one company. Their news page is interesting sometimes.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

SimonS1 is having some fun across there at the moment (see the I paid Ā£65 for luggage thread….)

He’ll be excommunicated soon, if he keeps it up.

Simon, I think you should suggest wearable luggage as the solution……

http://www.jaktogo.com/

thebigseats
    Participant

IME, Flyertalk has a huge amount of useful (invaluable, to some) information buried within it. Sadly, there are some who post there…and I have to say (PARTICULARLY) on the BA board who are pedantic, small-minded apologists who leap down the throats of anyone who dare ask a question/make a mistake & have not ā€œdone their researchā€. An off-putting & anecessarily aggressive place that I havenā€™t posted to in years – thankfully.

SimonS1
    Participant

There are some well informed people on there, but also some old stagers who must be devastated at how BA is going downhill. Best leave that to the ‘BA in decline’ thread.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Like MrMichael I hardly ever look at FT (not to be confused with THE FT of course) though I did sign up many years ago but equally not sure if I’ve ever posted?

I find FT to big and to impersonal whereas BT feels more like an extended family and I tend to pop in at least once a day.

Now, at the risk of being excommunicated didn’t the poster whose name we can no longer mention regularly post there as well? Is he still around?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m sure I posted in support of Alex and complimenting his knowledge. Did it somehow get deleted?

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=760825]Now, at the risk of being excommunicated didnā€™t the poster whose name we can no longer mention regularly post there as well? Is he still around?

[/quote]

If you mention the name it causes a bit of hilarity and usually a message from the mods.

Some people say the poster now operates under another name (beginning with O) but I’m not sure whether that is true or not.

stevescoots
    Participant

I hadnt been there for a long time, since before a certain ex-poster was kicked from here….had a look after Fdos post, thats me done for another couple of years then. As said before there are some useful nuggets buried in there but I have much better things to be doing than flying a keyboard instead of on a plane to waste going through it all. BT forum feels more like a club of similar minded and similar suffering souls, which is just how i like it

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Simon

Yes it is true, Oscietra caviar goes nicely with a glass of chilled bubbles.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls