Flyertalk BA Forum is a nasty site

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=760427]‘configured across rows ten to 15 in a 2-2-2 layout (A-B, D-E-F-G, J-K).’

Perhaps you need a proofreader, BT.

I am not having a go at BT. It is very good at pointing out our mistakes, claiming ‘first reported here’ etc.

I will do likewise ?

[/quote]

They provide you with a free forum they have just upgraded the site at some expense, I find that attitude a little off, tbh.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=760423]I think Flyertalk is like all forums with contributors who have their own experiences to post, either new ones which are informative, or repetitively about the same issue time and time again. They have a very large contributor base with some very knowledgeable posters, while others may be argumentative or humorous. I read some of the threads depending on the title, but will not always go back and forth to see the latest post, very often the best are posted in the first day or two.

The thread on Flyertalk has now been closed, often the threads and posts have some great information.

[/quote]

Henry

I can’t disagree with anything you say, but I stick to my guns on this one, it is a nasty site as the closed thread shows – if it had been my site and my contributors had made such snide comments about another (arguably competing) forum, I would have deleted the thread [edited] or at least edited/deleted the comments. The fact this wasn’t done leads me to believe that their moderators somewhat condoned the attacks, the one on Alex McWhirter being disgraceful.

icenspice
    Participant

Good morning FDOS

You are right about my bad attitude last night and I apologise to you and the BT team.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

No problem. Thank you. And I’ll correct that mistake in an hour or so.

As for the Flyertalk thread, as my children say, Haters gonna hate…

scotia
    Participant

[quote quote=760427]Perhaps you need a proofreader, BT.[/quote]

I think you have hit the nail on the head. While I do read the magazine (usually when bored on a flight or in a lounge) it didn’t take long for me to realize that they do sometimes go to print with glaring errors. For instance last year they had an article on things to do in Kuala Lumpur written by Tom Otley (published just before I had a planned visit to KL so I took those pages with me). However, he seems to think that you get off the train at KL Sentral station to visit the Petronas Towers (that’s about a 5km walk! He should have said KL CC). At that point I realised he had either never been to KL or it was just really badly written. So those pages of Business Traveller were consigned to my hotel room bin!

If Business Traveller could rid themselves of silly errors such as these I would take them more seriously.

scotia
    Participant

[quote quote=760441]if it had been my site and my contributors had made such snide comments about another (arguably competing) forum, I would have deleted the thread [edited] or at least edited/deleted the comments.[/quote]

This is ever so hypocritical! You started this thread by calling the users of another forum “clowns”! Although you clearly visit both sites (as I do), so I forgive you fellow clown 🙂

Have you found any other 6 year old links to prove that Iran Air doesn’t fly the LHR-IKA route? 😉

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Thanks for pointing this out icenspice – I’ve changed it to 2-4-2.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=760463]

if it had been my site and my contributors had made such snide comments about another (arguably competing) forum, I would have deleted the thread [edited] or at least edited/deleted the comments.

This is ever so hypocritical! You started this thread by calling the users of another forum “clowns”! Although you clearly visit both sites (as I do), so I forgive you fellow clown ?

Have you found any other 6 year old links to prove that Iran Air doesn’t fly the LHR-IKA route? ?

I don’t waste my time on trolls,have a nice day.

[/quote]

Charles-P
    Participant

Anonymous person says something anonymously about another anonymous person on the Internet. This comes under the heading of “who cares and why does this bother you”. Being big and brave on the internet is the equivalent of the inadequate fool who shakes his fist at you from a locked car because he doesn’t like your driving, he wants an argument but a safe one.

There are people on this forum who have posted unpleasant comments aimed toward me and it was water of a ducks back, I dismissed / forgot what they had said three seconds after I had read it and now I do not bother to read anything they have to say here. I assume there are others who feel the same about me.

People need to concern themselves with what really matters in the world and online insults are not it.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=760467]Anonymous person says something anonymously about another anonymous person on the Internet.

[/quote]

Fair point, except that the highly defamatory Ad Hominen was not made against an anonymous person, it specifically named Alex McWhirter andI do not find that acceptable.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=760459]

Perhaps you need a proofreader, BT.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. While I do read the magazine (usually when bored on a flight or in a lounge) it didn’t take long for me to realize that they do sometimes go to print with glaring errors. For instance last year they had an article on things to do in Kuala Lumpur written by Tom Otley (published just before I had a planned visit to KL so I took those pages with me). However, he seems to think that you get off the train at KL Sentral station to visit the Petronas Towers (that’s about a 5km walk! He should have said KL CC). At that point I realised he had either never been to KL or it was just really badly written. So those pages of Business Traveller were consigned to my hotel room bin!

If Business Traveller could rid themselves of silly errors such as these I would take them more seriously.

[/quote]

Thank you for that – I’ll correct it. I long to be taken seriously, you see.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=760441]
    Henry

I can’t disagree with anything you say, but I stick to my guns on this one, it is a nasty site as the closed thread shows – if it had been my site and my contributors had made such snide comments about another (arguably competing) forum, I would have deleted the thread [edited] or at least edited/deleted the comments. The fact this wasn’t done leads me to believe that their moderators somewhat condoned the attacks, the one on Alex McWhirter being disgraceful.

[/quote]

Of course what is allowed on FT depends on who the poster is.

If one of the favoured few posts something critical it will sit there and maybe the thread will be closed. When I posted something critical it was deleted and I got a message from the mods asking me to be ‘respectful of other people’.

Moderation is the equivalent of refereeing in the Premier League – very inconsistent and usually in favour of the big teams.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=760502]

Henry

Of course what is allowed on FT depends on who the poster is.

If one of the favoured few posts something critical it will sit there and maybe the thread will be closed. When I posted something critical it was deleted and I got a message from the mods asking me to be ‘respectful of other people’.

Moderation is the equivalent of refereeing in the Premier League – very inconsistent and usually in favour of the big teams.

[/quote]

Absolutely, Simon.

icenspice
    Participant

I do take you seriously, Tom & team. Otherwise I wouldn’t still be a subscriber!

In my profession, I am corrected every 5 mins by peers. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don’t.

And welcome to the forum, scotia!

canucklad
    Participant

Ahhh, the joys of the internet and social media in general. …

I’m from a generation that was brought up to expect anonymity, my every moment was uniquely mine and who I chose to share it with. I didn’t need to concern myself about others knowing about my deeds, or in some cases mis-deeds.

Today, you can be innocently sitting in a seat on a train and then find your face plastered all through the tabloid press, without that same press actually checking what the affronted social media wannabee reporter has purported to have actually happened..

Will the poster suffer consequences….NO, she will not.
    Will the innocent victim be pilloried ….more than likely!!

And, I’m afraid to say, that the profession that Alex has chosen , means that from time to time he will have to suffer other peoples opinions . His critic, has done that very cowardly of things and chosen the safety of anonymity to hide behind.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls