Flyertalk BA Forum is a nasty site

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1792387-shock-horror-business-traveller-likes-ba-cw.html

Full of snark, invective and a highly personal (and unjustified) attack on Alex McWhirter, who has forgotten more about travel than these clowns know and writes interesting and engaging articles.

This lot (with the exception of SimonS1, when he posts there) are a shower.

TominScotland
    Participant

Absolutely bizarre – where does that sort of invective come from? Just plain nasty……

icenspice
    Participant

I have just read the two reviews.

‘It is the only carrier serving the route directly from the UK.’

Does IranAir no longer fly from LHR to Tehran?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

They only came off the EU blacklist in Jan this year and haven’t started a direct UK service.

icenspice
    Participant

Thanks for that, FDOS.

scotia
    Participant

So the Iran Air flight that departed LHR T3 at 17.22 today bound for IKA doesn’t count?

Flightlevel
    Participant

Yes IranAir have been operating to LHR for a long time,I don’t know if they stopped at any time?

scotia
    Participant

I know there was a period where their flights from Western Europe had to make technical/refueling stops at certain airports. I believe that since the start of this year the refueling bans have been lifted.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

http://www.iranair.co.uk/london-to-tehran-refuelling-stop

The flights are still subject to ‘unscheduled’ refualling stops, according to their website.

As the BT article said, BA is the only carrier serving the route directly (unless you wish to get into a Flyertalk willy waving/nitpicking contest over definitions, such as direct and non-stop, but I won’t bother)

However, apologies for my ‘Jan’ typo, I meant ‘Jun’.

icenspice
    Participant

‘willy waving/nitpicking contest’

A bit rich coming from you!

scotia
    Participant

I’m pretty sure that link’s well out of date now. You linked to a news announcement from October 2010! As far as I know their flights now operate without regular fuel stops.

So I think icenspice rightly pointed out that the article was wrong to state that BA is the only carrier serving the route directly.

Anyway, the terms “direct” and “non-stop” have clear definitions in the aviation world, so not sure why you are suddenly being so defensive?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

The link is current from the Iran Air website, its the 8th item down on the ‘News’ page, all I did was click on it to see if their was a time sensitive stamp on the actual note – there isn’t.

scotia
    Participant

Indeed it is still on their news page … 8th item down … “London to Tehran Refuelling Stop Thursday, 14 October 2010”. Even a clown might have spotted that it was a fairly old news item 😉 A quick glance at the Iran Air website tells me it is not the most sophisticated site on the internet today, but to be fair to them, most companies do not remove historic news/press release items from their site.

Anyway, I think you should just stop digging now and acknowledge that both you and the article were wrong!

Henryp1
    Participant

I think Flyertalk is like all forums with contributors who have their own experiences to post, either new ones which are informative, or repetitively about the same issue time and time again. They have a very large contributor base with some very knowledgeable posters, while others may be argumentative or humorous. I read some of the threads depending on the title, but will not always go back and forth to see the latest post, very often the best are posted in the first day or two.

The thread on Flyertalk has now been closed, often the threads and posts have some great information.

icenspice
    Participant

‘configured across rows ten to 15 in a 2-2-2 layout (A-B, D-E-F-G, J-K).’

Perhaps you need a proofreader, BT.

I am not having a go at BT. It is very good at pointing out our mistakes, claiming ‘first reported here’ etc.

I will do likewise ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls