Flybe to fly LHR-Scotland?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

• MarcusGB
    Participant

I see many flights and a few Airlines competing down to LCY.
    As for LHR, i would have thought mainly for connecting services only, as all the other around London Airport, low cost cover them.

The point has been made with so many Large International Airlines now ex the regions, KLM is being used more to connect with Worldwide flights, via Amsterdam, as could other EU gateways. EDI also now have Etihad, but perhaps they need more connections to the main EU hubs, and unless Flybe services are, they will make little, with the costs of LHR.

It is a pity in this day and age, we cannot simply support a few essential connections by Air on a not-for profit, for far reaching communities.
    the SouthWest suffers very badly, Cornwall and Devon have no Air links into London City anymore, the Low Cost flights have left out of Stanstead and none fron Luton.

If one European Airline would run a one a day flight even, ex Newquay to their hub, they would provide a valuable link, and connect many who have no flights, to The World again.

My Parents who live in Penzance have no connections from Newquay, that used to have LCY, LGW, STN, with Ryanair, BA, Flybe, and Air SouthWest. it is a 5.5 hr train ride and a £300 1st class return by train, just to Paddington.
    Like Broadband and public transport, we should also provide essential travel options and links for remote areas of the UK, without profit.

KLM, are you listening for an opportunity here,and link the SW to the World?

pheighdough
    Participant

I think that when this service commences it will be with a Q400, as the crews and aircraft will be non-Heathrow based. Once FlyBe can prove the viability of the service then I think we’ll see a change to type, moving to an E195 which should be Heathrow based.

canucklad
    Participant

Reports on Radio Scotland confirm the news. Up to 40 flights a week and Flybe will use T2.
    Also they have secured cheaper charges from LHR, making it cheaper to land at LHR than other London airports.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, it has been confirmed – just writing it up now.

canucklad
    Participant

Just popped into my mail box……

Introducing our new routes from Scotland to London Heathrow!

From just £39.99 one way (terms apply)*, fly from Aberdeen up to three times a day and from Edinburgh up to four times a day with Flybe, one of the UK’s most punctual airlines†.

Landing at Heathrow Terminal 2 means you can connect to a broad range of worldwide destinations.

And, you’ll be taking off on the Bombardier Q400, one of the quietest aircraft†† in the world.

On sale now, for travel from 26 March, 2017 – and remember, you can collect Avios when you fly.

TominScotland
    Participant

Likewise…

Is the Q400 really a sensible use of Heathrow’s constrained slots? The focus should surely be on larger rather than smaller aircraft….. Are there any other turboprops that fly into Heathrow on a regular basis?

MrMichael
    Participant

I agree with TomInScotland. LHR want a third runway due to runway congestion then allow this minnow to fly in and out. I fail miserably to understand.

canucklad
    Participant

If I’m not mistaken, it’s not just the slot, but the traffic management of a smaller slower aircraft in amongst “heavy” faster jets.

Having said that, why not allow slots to an airline that’s going to compete with BA. Especially when you consider the amount of general aviation and cargo flights allowed into LHR.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Tom – I’m not sure when they ended but until a few years ago KLM used to fly turboprops into LHR. Fokker 50’s I think. I believe they used them on their Rotterdam route.
    I remember arriving into LHR on an Air UK Fokker 27 from Guernsey, but that was fair few years ago!

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

I wonder if they have been given the slots, with turboprop “Bombardier Q400, one of the quietest aircraft” to help Heathrow reduce its noise levels? I know ~40 flights there and back a week is a drop in the ocean but would help to show Heathrow is keeping its pledge to be quieter and more environmentally friendly?

JohnHarper
    Participant

Well I wish FlyBe all the luck in the world with this, it will be good that there is some competition albeit limited on UK domestic services again.

It will be interesting to see how BA price EDI and ABZ in comparison to perhaps GLA and NCL, two routes with competition and two without.

onajetplane
    Participant

Wonder does BA have Calder on payroll as this popped up as the top media article on the topic and it has a negative slant deeming the service the “slow shuttle”:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/flights-heathrow-aberdeen-edinburgh-flybe-ba-british-airways-a7487121.html

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=782088]Likewise…

Is the Q400 really a sensible use of Heathrow’s constrained slots? The focus should surely be on larger rather than smaller aircraft….. Are there any other turboprops that fly into Heathrow on a regular basis?

[/quote]

Absolutely not. All slots should be wide bodied jets going to new and innovative destinations such as Chengdu.

TominScotland
    Participant

What is appears to be the case, from the schedule, is that flybe is targeting point-to-point passengers because services at the weekend are significantly reduced, which is when many business travellers, especially flying long-haul, look for connectivity. If that is the case, then the longer journey time does come into play – as do alternative BA and LCC services to other London airports. Also, for Scotland-bound business travellers, the schedules are not attractive for those seeking to do a full days business in EDI or ABZ.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls