Finnair/Qatar?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

MickBettesworth
    Participant

I have the option of traveling in business from London to Singapore with Finnair via Helsinki or Qatar via AMS and Doha. Qatar hardware is scheduled to be a 787 & A 350, Finnair is an A330. Both have flatbeds.
    The price is very similar
    Any advice on which one to go for?

esselle
    Participant

Whilst there is a bit more argy bargy with QR going through AMS, I would go with them as the on board experience will be far better than OY.

travelworld2
    Participant

I’ve had mixed experience on QR in business, varying from excellent to very mediocre, whilst my Finnair flights have always been terrific. But I’d go on QR for that trip as I’d like to try the 787 and A350, especially back to back like that.

MrDarwin
    Participant

If lounges are your thing then see if you can get a stop around 2 hours in DOH to have a good look around the Al Mourjan lounge. The earlier in the evening the better, although I haven’t been through DOH since the opening of the separate one world first/business lounges and Al Safwa first lounge, so maybe it’s not as busy as it used to be at peak times.

My experience with QR on board product and crew is that it’s always been either very good or excellent.

canucklad
    Participant

For me, the choice is simple…….if the price is similar that is !
    A one stop, shortest route to the far east ,late night departure and uninterrupted sleep.

However if you want to experience new aircraft then it has to be QR.

rodders
    Participant

I would take QR, their A350 is v nice, and the lounge in Doha a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. I did a Singapore Doha London leg recently, and found it v good.

travelworld2
    Participant

I must confess I though the QR Al Mourjan lounge in Doha was a triumph of form over substance; stunning architecture but very poor drink and snack selection (no alcohol on the main floor) and, incredibly, a 20 minute queue to use the gents at 2am because there are only six cubicles in it. And the lounge wasn’t even busy….

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ travelworld2 – 26/11/2015 14:21 GMT

On the basis of comments to me by a travel companion/friend who’s been a business traveller for some 30+ years and who has seen it all, been there, done that, QR is a triumph of form over substance. He now prefers flying with RJ to QR. Read into that what you will.

Go with AY!

NTarrant
    Participant

I’d go for QR, the 787 is a nice aircraft and the service on QR is normally very good. Not done the 350 yet but a colleague was impressed.

And of course the lounge in Doha is good.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

I am a real QR fan, and use them on most occasions from UK-Asia-UK, but with the fast connection with AY via Hel , if the price difference is marginal I will use AY, its super-fast transit, Hel is geared up very well for the inbound flights and evening departures to Asia. AY lounge you hopefully will not be there that long that it’s an important factor, on board I think QR has the edge but who cares when you can shave up to 2-3 hours off your transit.

stevescoots
    Participant

have flown them both over the past years, I would go QR. last couple of finnair flights were mediocre to say the least…but cheap!

B777-300er
    Participant

Go with Qatar, they’ve got better onboard service, amenities, and lounges.

MickBettesworth
    Participant

Thank you everybody for your valuable advice.
    I have finally booked with Qatar because in the end I got a great deal ffrom London. A380 to Doha and the A350 to Singapore. Timings suit etc.
    Trip is in April so will write a report afterwards
    Thank you all!

Hermes1964
    Participant

Enjoy, but I wouldn’t count your chickens just yet. My December booking started on an A380, changed to an A330-300 and is now supposedly on a 777-300. We’ll see!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls