Extra runways at London airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 546 total)

• JohnHarper
    Participant

Aren’t the West London councils like Richmond already lining up to waste tax payer’s money on mounting a long and very costly battle should the runway get the go ahead?

If the private sector are to fund that too they might begin to lose enthusiasm.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Indeed, Theresa May’s own Tory-run RB Windsor & Maidenhead Council has stated that they have allocated some £50K+ to contribute towards a judicial review (yawn!) of any decision that involves expansion at LHR.

Just heard on the World at One on BBC R4 that May has now called for a “pause” (sic) so that her Cabinet colleagues can have the time to “analyse and form a view…” on the various alternatives.

canucklad
    Participant

Totally brilliant….
    And Theresa now joins the rank and file of the wishy washy politicians that LHR has got the better of, and made them into weak lily livered Orwellian double speak jibberers .
    Whose main concern seems to be their own self- preservation rather than making hard business decisions for the benefit of all.

I’ll give her 10 out of 10 for the use of the word pause.
    I once put my engagement on pause, and guess what…..she married someone else !!

Charles-P
    Participant

A simply appalling amount of political dithering on this vital issue. Anyone with a brain cell knows that expansion at both Heathrow and Gatwick is required and required quickly, the UK is sacrificing its future as an aviation hub to keep happy a few Tory NIMBYs in the Home Counties. It was that sort of thinking that led to the disaster of the Brexit vote !

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

The latest piffle around this subject. Big Sister is now to have a committee, which will exclude any London MP, to make the decision and, supposedly, this is to be announced next week. Thereafter, there will be a one-year public consultation before any vote takes place in the Commons.

Is this to buy time so that Goldsmith does not resign immediately, triggering a potentially perilous bye-election for the Tories? Richmond Park is a strongly pro-Remain (Goldsmith was for Leave) constituency and the Tory boy’s original election was aided by the Call Me Dave’s pledge not to allow any further runways at LHR – and build HS2 instead. Gosh, yet another solemn Tory electoral pledge to bite the dust; they are starting to mount up.

Yet again, Tory party internal divisions and internal management issues being put well before the interests of the country. So no change there then.

Gold-2K
    Participant

So the decision is ……….
    Lets wait another year before making a decision!!!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37692903

icenspice
    Participant

‘Long past caring’

I’m afraid that is the expression that springs to mind.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Yet again another bunch of politicions who can’t make a decision! I’m with PhilipHart (above) let the market decide and whatever airport can get financial backing can go ahead and build their runway, with no taxpayers money except for public transport.

GivingupBA
    Participant

icenspice said, “‘Long past caring’ … I’m afraid that is the expression that springs to mind.”

Me too. It’s sad but true. I’m wondering now if I’ll see a new London runway in my lifetime, and I’m not that old!

canucklad
    Participant

My earlier comment was made with a degree of unsurprised cynicism, because we’ve become used to procrastination over the issue.

Having listened to political commentary today, my bemused cynicism is moving towards outright bewilderment, touching on anger.

Like AD, I find it difficult to accept that something as important as this to the future (Post Brexit) prosperity of UK PLC is being held to ransom by 2 Tory MPs.
    How dare 2 toffy nosed upper class twits, who have more money than I can throw a stick at continually be allowed to put at risk our global financial status.

You simply can’t run a modern democracy to suit “not upsetting the Bullingdon bullies”

And consequently, the short term internal frailties of a political party is actually making it easier for a growing group of NO voters to vote YES the next time , us north of the border are given a chance to vote in a referendum..

Charles-P
    Participant

canucklad – I was going to comment on this but you have expressed my feelings perfectly.

JohnHarper
    Participant

I see Tania Matthias the Tory MP for Twickenham is now promising to join Goldsmith in resigning her seat if the third runway goes ahead.

Bring it on I say, that will be two seats to the LibDems cutting the Tory parliamentary majority to a maximum of ten and no doubt there will be a few more by-elections before too long.

Edski777
    Participant

If the cynics are right today the UK may not exist that long anymore, the Tories will lose power, we have three countries that would vote to remain in the EU, England being forced to go ahead with negotiating an exit (but by whom), financial institutions relocating to the mainland and still no third runway?
    The pound further down, inflation further up. So much for the Monday news.

Any positive thoughts anyone? Come on guys, it’s surely not all doom and gloom!

PhilipHart
    Participant

@JohnHarper, I think you’ll find that the official policy of the LibLimpDems is to oppose Heathrow expansion. So unless they are going once again going to break their pledge lie, as they did over tuition fees, I don’t think your baleful hope will be realised. Having said that it’s always a joy to hear Nick Clegg apologise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDjRZ30SNo 🙂

JohnHarper
    Participant

PhilipHart, you might find that if there were by-elections in those two seats in South West London there would be bigger issues at stake than the third runway. Remember that they scored the highest remain vote in the EU referendum and from what I can see they are not accepting of the result.

A LibDem victory would ensure opposition to the runway (I think it’s fair to say there would be no pro-runway candidate from any major party) and opposition to leaving the EU so for the people of those constituencies a win-win. While I would normally be a Tory voter anything that stops the ghastly Theresa May in her tracks (six months ago who would of thought she would be suitable to be prime minister) would be welcome as far as I am concerned and if I were a resident of either of those constituencies I would certainly be voting tactically.

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 546 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls