Exercising while travelling

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)

• esselle
    Participant

Suggest you look up the Canadian 5BX.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Once I have arrived, there never seems to be time for anything much – particularly as my osteoarthritic knees are not suited to running.

One thing I do, however, is walk about on the journey. If I am lucky enough to be in business class, then a lot of exercise can be taken walking up and down – good in many ways.

Some long-haul SAS planes have a pull-up bar just outside the galley in J. What a rational Scandinavian thing…..

GivingupBA
    Participant

I leave the hotel room and go for walks or long walks. It’s win-win: exercise, get out of the hotel room, and see the sights.

canucklad
    Participant

Does using the stairs rather than waiting on the lifts you head to the bar count?

1 user thanked author for this post.

JohnHarper
    Participant

I always try to use a cross trainer in the hotel gym. I hate it but it’s highly effective exercise and thirty minutes each day while I catch up on podcasts clears my head and makes me very grateful for a shower!

peter19
    Participant

It’s a hard balance to keep fit on work trips. For me, if i am away for a short trip I use it as down time as I’m a frequently in the gym at home and also do a lot of other sports, cycling & badminton etc.

If I’m away for anything over 5 days I make use of the gym or get out and about running to see some of the places i visit. Often my tips are back to known locations so I am now familiar with some good spots and its nice to see the changes if any. Alternatively, depending on the season i can fit in golf or skiing in some places i visit if i get time..not always the case!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I always walk down the stairs but take the lift up. Mind you I did this once in New York from the 40th floor I think and about half way down was stopped by security wanting to know what i was doing – as if it wasn’t obvious!

BIllyBleach
    Participant

Just drop in at the local crossfit box.

The benefit with Crossfit is they recognise your membership at another gym and allow you to book into their own classes.

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

I never travel without my running gear.

Had some amazing runs over the years (Stadtpark Vienna in the snow, hills of Tuscany,NZ, etc).

Tried to run in India once. Bad idea.
    Cheers, Rave

SaffaEuro
    Participant

Yep, sometimes take more motivation if crossing time zones but I too never travel without running shoes. Pair of shorts and running shirt easily cleaned in hotel room and dry quickly. In addition a great way to see the place. Not sure of your hotel level but most concierges will know/have running routes.

Globalti
    Participant

I’m a mountaineer and road cyclist and I find that after an enforced two-week break from exercise my legs actually feel rested and strong because I haven’t been cycling 2-3 times in the week. However cardio-vascular fitness feels diminished and takes a couple of rides to get back up to scratch.

Hotel gym exercise bikes are nasty; the saddles are always at the wrong angle and too fat and squidgy, which makes you sweat. I actually fear injuring myself on those ghastly bikes. I don’t run because running jerks my body and upsets my joints. So the only exercise I take is walking up the hotel stairs, which is worthwhile in high-altitude cities like Johannesburg or Addis; it keeps the body ticking over.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I find a brisk walk the best thing. Less impact on the knees and just as calorie burning as a jog. I couple this with some high intensity exercisers over a five minute period. There’s a name for them but I can no longer remember it!

esselle
    Participant

5BX?

jsn55
    Participant

carrotcake, this is truly funny. I always feel virtuous when I park as far away from my destination as possible. But the importance of even getting in 10 minutes a day of movement when travelling is not to be discounted.

Whenever possible, I book a hotel with an indoor pool, one that I know is warm enough, and spend an hour there instead of having dinner … if I can get away with it. Otherwise, 530am in I go. Americans are notoriously stingy about properly heating a pool, not like the British, whose pools are sublime.

David
    Participant

How do fellow travellers deal with staying fit and healthy whilst travelling, when choice of food can be limited (regular healthy fruit and veg or lack of it), staying fit constantly staying in hotels and travelling anti social hours.

Yes, most of my hotels have gyms, but most are very poorly equipped, or not open when I’m travelling. I have tried going for walks, in places I consider safe, but then outside exercise can be limited during the hours of darkness, or during the night, when I’m still active, often not by choice.

I find most of my hotel restaurant meals not very balanced, and yes there are lots of local healthy restaurants in towns (however, not easy finding restaurants open when you want to eat, not the regular local eating hours), but once again I find it difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle, when you immune system is already working overtime to deal with lots of other local virus/illnesses that are around, and constant travelling it’s very important not to get ill, since cancelling travel trips can be very stressful and often very expensive.

I’m also amazed how quickly you gain weight, even just on a week long trip, even although I have managed to eat healthly and exercise regular.

How can we maintain a healthy lifestyle whilst constant travelling?

Thanks

David

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls