Emirates unveils new seats for the B777-300ER – including new first class

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Revealed at the Dubai Air Show

Emirates reveals new cabins for Boeing B777 fleet

MarkivJ
    Participant

Just posted a comment on the article as well – that business class looks dreadful! They’d better sell that middle seat for a cheap price!

Plus their Biz class looks so “bling”! I’d hate to be stuck in that for a long time. The Y product looks far more subtle!

openfly
    Participant

I’ve also posted a comment about the horrific Business Class. Looks like a cheap call-centre. Brown bling is NOT attractive. Looks more like the TV sales section of Curry’s. Imagine trying to sleep with all those tv screens on. It even makes the old BA Club World look so welcoming!
    Did Emirates pay millions for someone to design this??!!

capetonianm
    Participant

Even if I wanted to fly EK, those pictures of business class are most offputting. I entirely agree with the comments above. I would defy anyone to relax, let alone sleep, in that environment.

esselle
    Participant

I don’t think the J cabin looks much different from what exists today on the triple 7. The F, however, looks far better than the current set up.

first_class_please
    Participant

First class looks very nice and usually competitive fares.

Business class though, really, 3 seats in the middle?

Would hate to pay for a business class fare and have a middle seat given.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If your eyes had been closed Tom, I would have thought you had been laid out to rest (G-d forbid)….

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Swissdiver
    Participant

First looks gorgeous. But business class is horrendous. Less shiny is the only positive aspect. Seats look like coffins. I feel already stuck in the current seat. This seems to be much worse. Now Emirates realised it has to operate in a competitive environment with almost regular rules, we feel the cost savings… At least it is paying off.

capetonianm
    Participant

They appear to be making a profit, although I doubt if their audit and disclosure procedures are the same as those in civilised countries.

The Emirates Group announced a 77 percent first half profit increase as it managed capacity better and benefited from improved foreign exchange rates.

Net profit in the six months to the end of September was AED2.3 billion dirhams (USD$631 million) on revenue up 6 percent at AED49.4 billion.

A combination of increased flying hours and an 11 percent bump in oil prices added to the airline’s expenditure during the year, but a slight reduction in staff numbers of just over 3,000 partially offset that.

The Dubai based group said the profitability rebound was “driven by capacity optimisation and efficiency initiatives across the company, steady business growth, and a more favourable foreign exchange situation.”

Emirates’ airline revenue increased by 6 percent to AED44.5 billion, with profit more than doubling to AED1.7 billion, a 111 percent uplift.

dnata, the group’s ground handling and airline catering unit, made a AED659 million profit for the six months, 20 percent higher than the previous year period.

“Our margins continue to face strong downward pressure from increased competition, oil prices have risen, and we still face weak economic and uncertain political realities in many parts of the world,” Emirates Group chief executive Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum said.

“Moving forward, we will continue to keep a careful eye on costs while investing to grow our business and provide our customers with world-class products and services.”

Emirates continued to add capacity and routes, but at a slower rate than in the past. It added four Airbus A380s, and six Boeing 777s to its fleet in the first half, and retired five older 777s.

The airline flew 29.2 million passengers in the six months, up 4 percent on 2016, with cargo tonnage carried up 5 percent at 1.3 million tonnes.

RPK traffic grew by 5 percent on an ASK capacity increase of 3 percent, resulting in a 1.9 percentage point increase in load factor to 77.2 percent.

Swissdiver
    Participant

The “a 111 percent uplift” comes after a minus 82.5% the previous year… And at the group level, the annual report reads:
    Profit attributable to the Owner AED m: 2016-17: 2,460, 2015-2016: 8,179, Difference: (69.9)

Henryp1
    Participant

Fabulous new First class product, the space and changes look really good and appreciated. Only challenge will be, if there will be widespread fleet refurbishment quickly or not.

Pies1311
    Participant

This pretty much confirms that unless you are flying the A380 you wouldn’t go near the EK biz class. Agree with others the seats look like coffins and 2-3-2 configuration you may as well be in premium economy for other airlines. I always check the aircraft first before booking as I know if its the EK 777 on any of the legs then stick with SQ, QR or CX which pretty much guarantee you 1-2-1 seating in biz.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=836905]If your eyes had been closed Tom, I would have thought you had been laid out to rest (G-d forbid)….
    [/quote]

If I go, I hope it will be in first, although I hear they carry you through there anyway

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-443215/BA-apologises-First-Class-corpse.html

Swissdiver
    Participant

Gosh, Tom, what a story! Beyond the obvious discomfort of the First passengers, I am wondering how the flight could continue and who confirmed the death…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls