Earning Tier Points and Avios with Qatar?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• Tony-UK
    Participant

We usually fly with BA whenever possible and book via their web site. We are planning a trip to New Zealand and flights from Manchester are much more convenient (and better prices) with Qatar. I can not find the Qatar flights from the BA site, how do I go about booking a flight with a oneworld partner so that I earn Tier Points and Avios? Also, how does the number of Tier Points and Avios earned compare to what I would have earned with BA (Business)?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=828218]We usually fly with BA whenever possible and book via their web site. We are planning a trip to New Zealand and flights from Manchester are much more convenient (and better prices) with Qatar. I can not find the Qatar flights from the BA site, how do I go about booking a flight with a oneworld partner so that I earn Tier Points and Avios? Also, how does the number of Tier Points and Avios earned compare to what I would have earned with BA (Business)?

[/quote]

You can book on the Qatar site, just make sure you enter your BAEC number and the tier points/avios will be added to your account after the flights.

You can calculate the TPs/avios here (sector by sector).

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/collecting-avios/flights

Swissdiver
    Participant

Last year, I flew GVA-DOH in business (J). Ticket was issued by QR (157-). I received 140 points and 2,880 Avios. Hope this helps.

TominScotland
    Participant

Yes, I also flew to NZ with Qatar. Avios not great but Tier Points were, I think, 140 per leg to DOH and 160 onwards. As there was a delay in starting the DOH-AKL route, we were routed via Melbourne and so got an extra 40 TPs for that as well. 640 in total – not too bad..

ontherunhome
    Participant

Dear Tony-UK I booked via Qatar website and had all the Avios and tier points credited promptly. We did the 1 night free stopover, too, which is worth considering.
    Book through Topcashback website and get 2% back.
    Best wishes

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Also, check out departing from Italy (MXP is a good starting point) rather than Manchester or, indeed, anywhere in the UK. OK, so it’s an extra flight, but the saving can often be surprising.

lesmclaren
    Participant

Be interested to compare the prices you got from Manchester. I just booked from Oslo to Auckland out mid Dec back mid January and got £2k business with Qatar.

K1ngston
    Participant

I am not sure of the tier point number to get from bronze to silver, I have 210 points, but will be flying 4 sectors on QR in November in J, will that get me back to silver or will I still be short??

My flights are BKK-DOH-LHR return on QR

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=829022]I am not sure of the tier point number to get from bronze to silver, I have 210 points, but will be flying 4 sectors on QR in November in J, will that get me back to silver or will I still be short??

My flights are BKK-DOH-LHR return on QR

[/quote]

BKK-DOH-LHR will get you 280 Tier points in Business

Which is a complete joke really because if you took the direct route to LHR with BA as I did in August, you only earn 140 points.
    I have just booked exactly the same route as you for my return – LHR/DOH/ICN – BKK/DOH/LHR and for this I will get 560 Tier points but if I booked the direct flight to Seoul, returning from BKK, I would only receive half the amount – which seems stupid to my mind – what incentive is there to fly direct with BA? (admitted that some people prefer no layover)

K1ngston
    Participant

WOW 560 points thats huge ST! The deals that are being offered at the moment with QR out of BKK are too good to miss out on, even with the the great experience my husband and I had with BA recently this gets me back to the UK via DOH in the comfort of J at a similar price to what I paid for WTP with BA. And of course doing this route almost doubles the tier points ….

Hope your trip coincides with the planned meet in BKK ST and look forward to seeing you there ….

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=829024]WOW 560 points thats huge ST! The deals that are being offered at the moment with QR out of BKK are too good to miss out on, even with the the great experience my husband and I had with BA recently this gets me back to the UK via DOH in the comfort of J at a similar price to what I paid for WTP with BA. And of course doing this route almost doubles the tier points ….

Hope your trip coincides with the planned meet in BKK ST and look forward to seeing you there ….

[/quote]

Sadly not.
    Outbound on the 9th October, return 24th October – November looking to be mainly European/Scandanavian for me

lesmclaren
    Participant

Very good to hear of the much better points from Qatar, coupled to the great ticket deals they offer.
    Having semi retired and been knocked back down the scale by BA after many years as a gold tier I have now signed up with Qatar as it seems to me that I will have a much better chance of at least getting to silver with 1W than I will with BA. ( will not go into all the other reasons I have stopped flying with BA as they are well documented by readers of BT !!)

K1ngston
    Participant

lesmclaren, I hear you and I have documented the excellent service we received from BA recently as well as the service we received from QR in Y back in April, I am looking forward to my J trip in November and will be a great opportunity to compare the two, albeit I was only in WTP with BA….

I have been informed recently that I have to cover Japan, so there is also opportunity to gain points with JAL so who knows I may even get back to Gold …. YAYYYY!!

AlanOrton1
    Participant

A return to Asia in J with QR has netted 560 TP’s for many a year.
    I suspect the reason being a long haul one way is 140 TP’s and there are two of these when flying with QR versus one with BA.
    Incidentally, a one way in J with MH from PVG-KUL is deemed long haul and earns 140 TP’s. So a two centre visit to Asia could net you 700 TP’s.

One thing to point out, while you don’t earn as many TP’s with BA, I believe you earn substantially more Avios as cabin and tier bonus points kick in, particularly if you hold a GC.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Absolutely right AlanOrton1 – my Asia flights (not on QATAR) earn only 440 Tier points, but 36,000 avios, which for me, are far more valuable..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls