E-Cig smokers beware in Thailand …..

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• pat0406
    Participant

I have just returned from a two week holiday with a good friend , from Bangkok and Pattaya. I don’t smoke and never have done so but my colleague has been on the E-Cig for the past few years. Whilst in Thailand some 3 nights into the hol, he was accosted by a local Policeman, and threatened with being cuffed and jailed unless he paid an on the spot ‘fine’ of initially 20000 Baht (€500 approx) , as apparently E-Cigs are banned throughout Thailand. This was eventually reduced to 6000 Baht (€150 approx ), which he felt obliged to pay, and saw the Policeman pocket same. Apparently on further investigation and ‘Googling’, the import and sale of e-cigs is banned as indeed is the smoking of same in public places. Travelers to Thailand are not made aware of this pre departure, and we saw online that countless others had fallen victim to these same on the spot ‘fines’ throughout Thailand. So , would be e-cig smokers, leave them behind or at least only smoke same in private. My colleague was very distressed after the incident, and certainly put a major damper on an otherwise most enjoyable holiday !

capetonianm
    Participant

In November 2014, Thailand approved legislation outlawing the import of e-cigarettes into the country. This has since been expanded to the export as well as sale of e-smoking devices and equipment. Although it is common to see people vaping in Thailand offenders are technically breaking the law as possession is illegal.

The Foreign Office advice is clear. On its website it instructs travellers not to bring vaporisers (like e-cigarettes) or refills into Thailand. The Foreign Office said: “These items are likely to be confiscated and you could be fined or sent to prison for up to 10 years if convicted.

“The sale or supply of e-cigarettes and similar devices is also banned and you could face a heavy fine or up to five years imprisonment if found guilty. Several British Nationals have been arrested for possession of vaporisers and e-cigarettes.”

Prostitution is also illegal in Thailand. That’s almost as farcical and hypocritical as the situation in Dubai.

Ekond222
    Participant

…yawn…

Flightlevel
    Participant

[quote quote=841883]…yawn…
    [/quote]

Yes,if you take the drugs you can expect consequences!

stevescoots
    Participant

Many countries have odd rules on E-Cigs, as someone who uses one to reduce my smoking habit I always err on the side of caution. In Vietnam they are legal but cannot contain nicotine, you risk a fine (read that at paying a bribe) if caught with a refill with nicotine on it. In HK I am sure the sale of them is illigal but using is not

Ekond222
    Participant

Steve you’re right – the law is varied regarding the sale or use of e-cigs…in some countries, the sale of nicotine-based e-cigs are banned, non-nicotine based e-cigs is acceptable as in HK – Brazil has a total ban…

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Meanwhile Putney High street is littered with new vaping shops, done up like fancy bars glamorising the entire thing, something cigarettes did in the 70s which now would be totally unthinkable and unacceptable.
    This is no coincidence, these shops would never afford the rents in Putney, or elsewhere in central london for that matter. The cigarette companies have without doubt admitted defeat that this is the future and no doubt are somehow involved in the explosion of these shops.
    Elsewhere in the world however.. ‘baccy is still king and will not admit defeat, and banning e-cigs is the only thing they know what to do.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls