Dublin to JFK – Delta One

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• Andrew
    Participant

Wondering if anyone had tried the Dublin to JFK Delta One service and if it was any good and what I can expect – trying to decide between them, United, American or Aer Lingus so any advice tips or recommendations would be great

PatJordan
    Participant

Andrew,

my preference would be Aer Lingus.

Travelling from Dublin to JFK, you clear immigration in Dublin, and EI Business Class passengers have access to Dublin Airport’s 1st & Green Lounge: nice views of the runway and right beside departure gates.

As far as I know you can dine in their JFK lounge pre-flight, if in Business Class. The in’flight service is generally very good.

There is also an arrivals lounge in Dublin which is small but very pleasant, and which has very nice showers.

Hope this helps.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I use the Dublin – USA service with American.

I tend to go for a late morning departure and use the first BA flight from LHR to connect.

I use American over the others and benefit from (not necessarily exclusive benefits to American)..

* sufficient avios for more than a couple European runs (ex London)
    * amazing business class fares to the US
    * use of the Global Entry system into the US
    * preclearance into the US for those that don’t have Global Entry, which is a sufficient reason to use Dublin in its own right
    * Dublin now has a business class lounge after the pre clearance

As far as the American service is concerned, the flat bed, all aisle access, forward facing seats are very comfy – only downside are the unkempt, untidy, gum chewing cabin crew that grace the aircraft aisles…. However, for me, after a couple of drinks, I am out for the count, having missed a nights sleep, getting the flight early morning LHR departure to Dublin….

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Another vote for Lingus, from me.

Used them several times and it’s always been good.

SwissExPat
    Participant

I also believe you can ‘pay for’ access to the Post Clearence lounge in Dublin. ? [if you in Y]

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Am using AA out of DUB to the US for the second time next month.
    Would broadly echo Martyn’s comments, though worth noting they use 757’s on their JFK route which are configured 2×2 in J.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Alan – I can confirm whenever I fly my most disliked route, I am generally flat out asleep for as long as possible. The fact it is an old 757 is pretty immaterial. For a longer flight, it would be very material….

Coldbat
    Participant

Depending on the time of year, DL will fly a 333 on this route. Whilst not the longest of TATL’s the product and service is top notch.

PatJordan
    Participant

Andrew
    Participant

Great and thanks – what about the United Polaris service from Dublin to New York which has some good deals at the moment ?

Love AerLingus too – only minus point about the transactlantic service is that dreadful afternoon tea salad thing they serve !!!

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Hi Andrew – I think (though I haven’t checked) that UA utilize 757’s, just like AA, on the DUB to NYC route. Likely to be very similar, 2×2 offering. If DL are offering a larger, newer aircraft with all aisle seating in J, it may be worth giving it a go.

If you are OW Emerald, AA’s newish Flagship lounge in JFK is very good (for a US airline lounge). I last visited in Jan, which I think was just after it had re-opened.

Andrew
    Participant

The 0900 flight to Newark is a 777 as is the 1930 returning one which is one of the things that appealed.
    Am a massive Aer Lingus fan so a bit of a dilemma

FlightDoctor
    Participant

On a related note, I am shortly flying with the family with AA for our summer holiday to Florida from/to Dublin. Flights in business were cheaper than economy with BA direct from London. Using a cheap Avios redemption to position to Dublin.

Does anyone have experience of the AA flights from Dublin to Philadelphia (outward routing on an A330) and Chicago to Dublin (return routing on a 787)?

Rockhopper
    Participant

We (family of four) did Dublin to Orlando via Philadelphia last summer on AA in business. As you say we had an A330 outbound and I have to say it was one of my best recent transatlantic flights. Pre clearance in Dublin was easy and pretty quick (total of 20 mins I think) and the new 51st & Green lounge which is after US Customs is pretty good.

The flight itself was on a former US Airways A330. Cabin was in good condition and the crew were excellent – really proactive and friendly. Flight arrived on time and arriving as a domestic passenger meant a short walk up to the Admirals Club and an hour or so wait for the connecting flight to Orlando.

Flight to Orlando was on an international configured 757 which meant a lot of legroom in First. Again crew were friendly and service was very good. Some minor weather related delays (ground stop in Philadelphia due to thunderstorms) but otherwise an excellent service.

We came back through Charlotte on the way back which is again an A330 for the transatlantic sector in the summer. Crew weren’t quite as good on that flight. The gentleman serving my side of the aircraft did what he had to do but wasn’t proactive or particularly friendly.

Overall I was very pleased with our flights given how inexpensive they were and I now use Dublin (both AA and Aer Lingus) for the majority of my transatlantic travel.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@FlightDoctor – agree with everything said by Rockhopper. Try to avoid the short overnight flight New York to Dublin, a 5 hour time change on a 5-6 hour flight is a ‘killer’… This summer, for the first time, I will route home via Charlotte as the flight is slightly longer..

There is one additional piece of the jigsaw I will add. The positioning flight on an unconnected ticket (avios or otherwise).

British Airways are becoming very strict about missed connections on unconnected tickets. I prefer not to stay overnight in Dublin so travel to Dublin day of departure. The earliest BA flight from London to Dublin is 6.40 am which is due to land at 8.05 am. I also take the 11.20am flight to PHL.

I would not like to test AA/BA if the positioning flight to Dublin was late OR the return leg back to Dublin was late causing me to miss my positioning flight back to London. My only advice, be aware of the time and depending on the age of your children, shepherd the flock through to the 51st Green, purposefully…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls