Drunk air passenger arrests up 50 per cent

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

I completely agree with the above. I can’t remember the last time – if ever – I had a drink before lunchtime. I feel nauseated when I see people at airports early in the morning swilling down pints of beer, and then witness the resulting behaviour.

Given that the sale and use of alcohol on flights and at airports seems to cause more problems than it’s worth, I agree with banning it or imposing very strict rationing.

Call me Mother Grundy if you will but it would solve a lot of problems.

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Globalti and capetonianm
    I’m totally against banning anything that responsible people can choose to enjoy, regardless of the place or time of day.
    Remember that air travel allows us to quickly travel across time zones, so you could be sitting in a lounge at LHR and still be on HK time , and using the logic of not before lunchtime, not having a drink on your 11.00 westbound flight to JFK would also fit the rule.

I whole heartily agree with you, that pests need to be dealt with, regardless of whether its 7am or 7pm , but I’m not a pest, so why should I be sanctioned.

Remember, every time government intervenes we lose another freedom of choice or benefit that we used to enjoy responsibibly..
    I live in Scotland and I’m continually subjected to these interventions. The next one (ironically considering the topic) being an implementation of a minimum price on alcohol units, that’s after the removal of alcohol promotions on price.
    All at a price, and all because there is a small fraction of the population amongst us that can’t take control of themselves and require the nanny state to take control.

Would you ban BMW’s , based on the stereotype?
    Would you ban Red lights because it encourages prostitution?
    Would you ban football to stop anti-social behaviour?
    Would you ban pet dogs because of poo’ey pavements?

I could go on?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Aeroflot intends to recover additional expenses from passenger on flight SU 1750 Moscow-Yakutsk

Moscow, 20 February 2018. – Aeroflot intends to recover costs incurred as a result of flight delays and additional aircraft maintenance at Sheremetyevo airport from passenger Evgeny Shigapov, who was removed from the flight for disobeying the crew’s instructions and attempting to enter the aircraft’s cockpit.

On Friday, February 16, business class passengers E. Borisov, P. Borisova and E. Shigapov were the last to board flight SU1750 from Moscow to Yakutsk, carrying a large number of hand luggage items. When asked by the flight attendant to show their boarding passes, they categorically refused, expressed extreme indignation at the airline’s regulations, were verbally abusive towards the crew, and made negative comments about the airline.

Despite being informed of the need to comply with the airline’s safety requirements and regulations, the passengers insisted on being allowed into the cabin on the basis of their employment IDs. After the boarding passes had been found and presented, the passengers proceeded to board the plane and settled into their seats. At this point Evgeny Shigapov, upon noticing that an employee of the airline was leaving the cockpit, pushed the employee aside and attempted to enter the cockpit without authorisation, demanding to speak personally with the captain of the aircraft. The passenger ignored repeated requests from crew members and the captain to leave the cockpit.

The captain made the decision to have Mr Shigapov removed from the flight and handed over to the police. The resulting delay to the flight lasted more than one hour. Aeroflot incurred extra costs in connection with this incident, the exact amount of which is being established.

Mr Shigapov is being prosecuted under art. 20.1 of the Administrative Code of the Russian Federation (petty hooliganism). Aeroflot is in possession of eyewitness reports confirming the destructive behavior of the passenger.

Flight safety is Aeroflot’s top priority. The airline shall strictly preclude any attempts to violate the rules of conduct on board that jeopardize safety.

Aeroflot reminds customers that beginning in June 2018, airlines will legally be able to include offenders on a black list and deny them future travel.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

In addition, last week I received an email from Wizz Air

Wizz Air flight safety

It linked through to this page

Your safety and security is our top priority! In order to ensure a smooth and pleasant flight please read the following rules of conduct.

DO NOT…
    Smoke on board (including classic cigarettes or e-cigarettes, pipes, vapers)
    Put e-cigarettes in your checked-in bags or charge them on board
    Refuse to follow or breach crew instructions
    Harass in any way fellow passengers and/or crew members (including sexual harassment)
    Threaten or be aggressive with fellow passengers and/or crew members
    Be violent or conduct any hostile, erratic behaviour
    Damage the aircraft or on board equipment
    Waste, pollute or contaminate the cabin in any way
    Endanger the safety of the flight by any means
    Consume alcohol which was not purchased on board.
    Alcohol is served at the crew’s discretion to passengers of legal drinking age.
    The crew reserves the right to stop serving alcohol to any passenger who is or appears to be intoxicated.
    Be under the influence of drugs or medical substances which may affect your behaviour or self-control
    Film or photograph the cabin crew without their permission

…or face the consequences:
    You are fully responsible and accountable for your behaviour. Unruly or disruptive behaviour on board and before boarding will not be tolerated, will be reported to the authorities and you will be held legally and financially responsible in all cases.

The following consequences * will occur for such misconduct:
    Denied boarding
    Penalty/fine or arrest by local police:
    Smoking on board, including lavatory: up to EUR 3000
    Unruly behaviour due to intoxication: up to EUR 5,000 and two years in prison
    Endangering the safety of an aircraft: up to five years in prison
    Diversion of flight and arrest
    Reimbursement of cost of diversion: EUR 10,000 – EUR 80,000.
    Criminal procedure and court litigation
    Cancellation of all of your existing Wizz Air flight bookings
    Rejection to fly with Wizz Air in the future

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We’re moving into the summer season…

Disruptive passengers cause Belfast Ibiza flight diversion

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=853648]Mr Shigapov is being prosecuted[/quote]

Fully deserved. What an arsehole (can one say that on this forum?).

MP1
    Participant

I prefer asterisks, but let’s see who reports it…

handbag
    Participant

It is not legal to board a plane drink in the UK. Pax are allowed to consume their own alcohol onboard. With BA, the Captain and/or the CSD can deny boarding at the door. If a pax is obviously drunk on boarding they are denied. Sometimes you don’t know until they are onboard.

I have never had any problems with saying to a pax that I will be either stopping serving them alcohol or limiting the amount. It doesn’t happen often, but I do when necessary. several flights ago a couple of the Crew bought it to my attention that a young lad had drank an awful lot and consumed some of his own. When he pressed his bell 15 mins after his previous drink, I told him, that I would serve him more, but he would have to wait a bit and to press his bell in 30 mins and what that time would be. 29 mins later he pressed. I served him and then said I would not be doing anymore for another hour. He fell asleep. Generally, if you do it in the right way, it is not an issue.

All BA Crew are trained yearly in the use of Handcuffs and restraining passenger, so both the passenger and Crew are safe. This was introduced from about 1994.The first year it was taught by an outside Company. The following year, I became a Crew Trainer, both flying and training. We were taught by the Police and did some really interesting courses on personal safety and management of difficult pax. I did this training for 10 years and thoroughly enjoyed the mix of flying and training.

I am now a dab hand with a pair of cuffs and can use left handed, right handed and even with my eyes closed. 🙂

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=870078]

Mr Shigapov is being prosecuted

Fully deserved. What an arsehole (can one say that on this forum?).[/quote]

Probably not, but I fully agree with you 😉

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=870083]I am now a dab hand with a pair of cuffs and can use left handed, right handed and even with my eyes closed. 🙂[/quote]

The mind boggles Handbag. I bet Max Mosely would have enjoyed flying with you 😉

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=870083]All BA Crew are trained yearly in the use of Handcuffs[/quote]

Pink furry ones? (he asked, out of idle curiosity)

handbag
    Participant

[quote quote=870104]

All BA Crew are trained yearly in the use of Handcuffs

Pink furry ones? (he asked, out of idle curiosity)[/quote]
    How I wish I had a £ for every time I have been asked that by people I know 🙂 They are hard steel ridged handcuffs, the same type used by the police called quick cuffs. They are excellent as they swing over and lock closed under pressure unlike the old fashioned type. Believe it or not we even have a set routine of how to restrain someone with straps, although, I cant give that classified info of how we do it away.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=870148]Believe it or not we even have a set routine of how to restrain someone with straps,[/quote]

God, I love this forum sometimes. Every day is a schoolday.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Late passenger chased Ryanair jet down runway

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/late-passenger-chased-ryanair-jet-down-runway-pzc0m6k87

“A man has been charged with criminal damage after he ran on to the tarmac at Dublin airport and attempted to flag down a plane after missing his flight.

Police were alerted to a breach of security at about 7am yesterday. Ryanair staff and airport police stopped the man near the runway while he allegedly tried to flag down a flight bound for Amsterdam….”

capetonianm
    Participant

I do hope this is not someone known to any of us.

Manchester travel agent, 36, who branded Jet2 air hostess a ‘trolley dolly with stupid red lips’ in drunken rage on flight back from Turkish break with partner and her children is jailed for four months
    He was working for some years in a business travel agency…. he has lost his current job because of these offences, he has lost his good character and his relationship is over.

David Blicharz showered air crew in expletives after he was turned down booze
    His meltdown, described as the worst crew had seen, left children in tears
    The 36-year-old, who has since lost his job, was jailed for four months today

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls