Driving License requirements for UK rentals.

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

I believe the UK (and, now I learn, the EU) two-part licence system was meant to be a transitional arrangement and in due course the card part – the photo-licence – was going to be a smart card with a chip on it that carried all the details such as endorsements tht the paper counterpart now has. But there was no agreement in the EU about an EU-wide inter-operable system and so the smart photo-card licences never came in.

No doubt if it was proposed now there would be many (especially in the UK) who would see it as ID cards by the back door, and anyway where is the money to pay for such a huge IT project?

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Cedric

I didn’t know that, thanks for sharing.

NTarrant
    Participant

Now you come to mention it Cedric, I too recall something about this. We are talking many years ago. I recall that the paper part was supposed to be temporary. I have a feeling it may have been derailed by the flood of new member countries of Eastern Europe. Might be wrong though

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I rent 30+ cars a year from Hertz mainly. All locations ask to see my driving licence, normally when exiting the parking lot. Since I switched to the seperate 2-part licence, I have only ever been asked to produce the paper section on 4 occasions and each time, this was at Glasgow airport. The first time this happened, I told them I didnt have the paper section with my and they told me they would charge me £5.00 to call the DVLA. I told them to forget it & picked up a car from Avis instead. As a precaution, I now keep the paper part in my briefcase.

Binman62
    Participant

rented car in germany on monday to get me home having only card part of my license. On arrival in UK was universally refused cars, as after office hours and no one would call DVLA. Welcome to Britain.

NTarrant
    Participant

Binman I think you will find that the answer to the question was answered some posts back

Merry Christmas

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls