Driving in the snow (to meetings of course)…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

The last few days I took advantage of the empty roads and the usually horrendous M25 to arrange meetings along the M25 corridor. Despite the snow, the freezing temperatures and having to drive below 50 MPH for most of the time, I may be one of a few, but my time was very productive.

The only problem I had on the motorway was being unable to clean my windscreen as my car does not benefit from heated windscreen washer outlets.

So, BT Forum, apart from having to stop continuously on the hard shoulder – does anyone have another a solution or a ‘solution’ for helping to keep the windscreen clean in these circumstances.

Thank you in advance..

craigwatson
    Participant

You just need to get winter wiper washer fluid. This has an anti freeze in it and it is the solution that keeps the liquid from freezing up.

You must be using a summer solution.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=855374]The last few days I took advantage of the empty roads and the usually horrendous M25 to arrange meetings along the M25 corridor. Despite the snow, the freezing temperatures and having to drive below 50 MPH for most of the time, I may be one of a few, but my time was very productive.

The only problem I had on the motorway was being unable to clean my windscreen as my car does not benefit from heated windscreen washer outlets.

So, BT Forum, apart from having to stop continuously on the hard shoulder – does anyone have another a solution or a ‘solution’ for helping to keep the windscreen clean in these circumstances.

Thank you in advance..[/quote]

Two options I’m aware of – there may be more ….. feedabck tends to be patchy, so caveat emptor, Martyn 😉

Option 1 – https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AlphaTherm-AT-38OD-Windshield-Washer-Fluid-Heater-NEW/263357225806?epid=1461075521&hash=item3d51505b4e:g:lhgAAOSwfRdZJ0Jw

Option 2- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEATSHOT-HEATED-WASHER-LATEST-MODEL-/192294014626

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=855377]You just need to get winter wiper washer fluid. This has an anti freeze in it and it is the solution that keeps the liquid from freezing up.

You must be using a summer solution.[/quote]

Craig, whilst you are right and your suggestion is a good one, unfortunately the nozzles and pipes leading to them can also freeze from water (melted snow etc) contaminating the fluid and causing blockages or simply freezing around the nozzles.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

many thanks Craig & FDoS.. very helpful and will follow advice…

esselle
    Participant

All true. My Range Rover cost six figures, and has heated nozzles, but you need the proper screen wash for this type of very cold weather otherwise the whole thing freezes up.

I drove down the M1 on Wednesday and had to keep stopping at the services to clean the screen.

K1ngston
    Participant

Martyn, may I suggest you move to warmer climes??? Here in Asia its a very cold 27C today we will need to make sure the AC is cranked up…..

capetonianm
    Participant

Ask a Canadian how they do it. I have driven rental cars in Canada in midwinter and once having cleared the screen from a cold start, drove with no problem even in sub-zero temperatures with spray from other vehicles coming onto the windscreen and easily cleared with a quick squirt of the washer and few wiper blade sweeps.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=856201]Ask a Canadian how they do it. I have driven rental cars in Canada in midwinter and once having cleared the screen from a cold start, drove with no problem even in sub-zero temperatures with spray from other vehicles coming onto the windscreen and easily cleared with a quick squirt of the washer and few wiper blade sweeps.[/quote]

They probably have a standard fit combo of heated fluid reservoir/nozzles and almost pure alcohol wash 😉

craigwatson
    Participant

I am a Canadian. Lived most of my life in Calgary. Although been here over 13 years now, but we never had any heated sprayers then. Just your run of the mill cold weather washer liquid. Never had the sprayer not work even in the cold near night I remember… -50C. Heater couldn’t keep the car warm so frosted breath was a problem for seeing but window washer worked fine!

Polly
    Participant

Yes, in KK, it’s very noticeable when it drops from 32 to 27 overnight. Sweaters out!

K1ngston
    Participant

Hi Polly quicky where is KK??

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Kota Kinabalu??

esselle
    Participant

KL?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=856222]I am a Canadian. Lived most of my life in Calgary. Although been here over 13 years now, but we never had any heated sprayers then. Just your run of the mill cold weather washer liquid. Never had the sprayer not work even in the cold near night I remember… -50C. Heater couldn’t keep the car warm so frosted breath was a problem for seeing but window washer worked fine![/quote]

Craig, I wonder if the Canadian fluid is a different formulation to the UK?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls