Hotel hygiene: Drinking from the toilet

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

• PhilSHK
    Participant

Might as well do if this is how hotels clean their cups – cleaners in Sheraton, Shangri-La and Kempinski in Harbin have been using toilet brushes to clean cups in rooms:

Chinese hotel cleaners caught using toilet brush to wash cups and basins

Officials warn Sheraton, Shangri-La and Kempinski branches to address problem after video footage exposes string of hygiene breaches

stevescoots
    Participant

Its Mainland China, I am not suprised in the slightest

capetonianm
    Participant

I am not surprised either, but I routinely wash cups and glasses before use when I am in a hotel, even if they look clean.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I also wash out the bathroom cups with hot water before using them. Not because I suspect they’d been washed with toilet water but just as a general precaution.
    Unless it’s a 5* Hotel I also ask them to bring fresh glasses for the minibar. Half the time this is accompanied by a note of apology and a free bottle of water or sometimes wine. It’s strange as I never complain about the glasses, I just ask for them to be changed. Makes you think though!

nevereconomy
    Participant

I think it is fair to assume this kind of “care” is taking place in establishments of all kinds all over the world. My desire for any kind of fast food in the US disappeared after friends shared their experiences of working there as young people…
    I have a friend in China who, when we eat at more “off the beaten track” places, will ask for boiling water to be brought to the table and he washes all the dishes and chopsticks before we eat !!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

My daughter used to work as a ‘room cleaner’ at a very expensive hotel in Leeds whilst she was in her final year at school.

They were told to use the used pillowcases to dry the coffee cups and glasses.

The same cups and glasses were washed in the bathroom sink without any sort of detergent.

The staff had to clean 4 rooms per hour, 5 if the hotel had been fully booked the night before.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=843772]… I have a friend in China who, when we eat at more “off the beaten track” places, will ask for boiling water to be brought to the table and he washes all the dishes and chopsticks before we eat !!
    [/quote]

Chinese friends in Hong Kong do this routinely in cheap restaurants.

I have more than a touch of OCD and I never forget reading that the dirtiest thing in a hotel room is often the TV remote control. Since then I’ve often cleaned it with a wet wipe first. Illogical I know but that’s my life….

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

GivingUp, I always travel with a few of those refreshing wipes they give you and also use them to clean the remote. Some can be quite suspect!

penfold69
    Participant

I read an article (although I now can’t find it), which tested for bacteria at different parts of the travel journey through the airport and onboard. The largest concentration of bacteria they found in the journey was on the aircraft tray tables by a large margin. It was multiple times worse than the airport toilets.

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=843781]

… I have a friend in China who, when we eat at more “off the beaten track” places, will ask for boiling water to be brought to the table and he washes all the dishes and chopsticks before we eat !!

Chinese friends in Hong Kong do this routinely in cheap restaurants.
    I have more than a touch of OCD and I never forget reading that the dirtiest thing in a hotel room is often the TV remote control. Since then I’ve often cleaned it with a wet wipe first. Illogical I know but that’s my life….
    [/quote]

Its a south China cultural thing, everyone i know does it in all places, usually washed with the Hot tea on the table. I always do it myself, force of habit now. the funny thing is they trust the kitchens hygene standards to make the food……..but not wash the dishes. Having been in many mainland kitchens i trust neither, just stock up on the immodium! safety rules are hardly applied. For example when we put the Kitchen in our pub in DongGuan we had to have 5 sinks. Standard western stuff. I know for a fact that most of the resturants around me have 2 at most. One reason I opened my own place!

capetonianm
    Participant

From what I’ve observed, hotel cleaning staff usually don’t wash cups and glasses in the room. They take the used ones away and replace with supposedly clean ones, and the dirties are washed centrally.

BPP
    Participant

All this is good advice.
    I routinely carry antiseptic hard surface wipes onto the aircraft for a discrete clean of the tray table, seat controls, armrests and IFE control.
    Then in the hotel room a good wipe of the door handles, TV remote and telephones (particularly the one in the bathroom!).

BPP

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=843788]GivingUp, I always travel with a few of those refreshing wipes they give you and also use them to clean the remote. Some can be quite suspect!
    [/quote]

I always have at least 2 new packs of wipes with me, and don’t use the free ones. Anyway I’m glad to read your post and BPP’s to know I’m not alone in my antiseptic wipes habits – I thought maybe I was.

Happy New Year & safe travels

Linyilee
    Participant

For example when we put the Kitchen in our pub in DongGuan we had to have 5 sinks. Standard western stuff. I know for a fact that most of the resturants around me have 2 at most. One reason I opened my own place!
    [/quote]

Whereabouts in Dongguan is your pub stevescoots?

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=843846] For example when we put the Kitchen in our pub in DongGuan we had to have 5 sinks. Standard western stuff. I know for a fact that most of the resturants around me have 2 at most. One reason I opened my own place! [/quote]
    Whereabouts in Dongguan is your pub stevescoots?
    [/quote]

In Hengli Town, about 20 mins from Changping station, first stop on the HK-GZ through trian

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls