Do use / trust Tripadvisor

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

• Anonymous

Binman62
    Participant

Following this report I wondered what other thought of this web site. I must be upfront and state that I do submit reviews on hotels and other attractions (under different name) and on the whole I try very hard to be honest and even handed.

I also use the site when researching hotels but in the last year I have begun to discount all reviews where the poster has just publised 1 or 2 reviews.

I have also noted that some hotels suddenly have have great many positive reviews, generally from people posting very infrequently, and immediatley after a string of negative reviews.

NTarrant
    Participant

I have been contributing (under a different name too) for some years, although it is very subjective it can sometimes be useful.

On our recent trip around New Zealand I didn’t look at Tripadvisor until we got to the hotel, which may seem strange. However it did help me save a parking charge at one hotel which was refunded to another guest for the same reasons as we got it refunded (no notices and not advised on check in).

I too tend to ignore those with only one or two under their belts, like you Binman as sometimes they appear to be negative reviews with people who have an axe to grind.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Yes and no but depends on the quality of the review and where it slots in to with other reviews. Their was a documentry last year on about this cant remember what channel about hotels who have been ruined because of bad review anf they even interview the people who wrote it to.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

it was c4 you might still be able to see it on 4oD

dutchyankee
    Participant

I also use it, but am often sceptical about the veracity of some posts, but more importantly about how the site ranks the best in a particular city. As an example, a hotel in one city can have 250+ reviews, 85% or above score for satisfaction but still be ranked less favorably than a B&B in the same city with say 10 reviews and far less services, etc. I will never forget checking the site once for Amsterdam, and the number one rated hotel on the site at the time (15 months ago) was the Black Tulip. For those of you that might know Amsterdam, this will no doubt surprise you, especially when hotels such at The Amstel and Okura were well below in the teens. All I would suggest is to read the reviews with interest, but also with a big grain of salt. Just as on any blog or review site, not all the reviewers are honest and might have an alterior motive.

RichHI1
    Participant

I use it and contribute. You must read the reviews with a bit of intelligence. There are a few that are obviously not real. Equally there are a number of toys out of the pram posts, from people who did not get an upgrade or could not get “authentic mexican food like we have in San Francisco (sic)”. Overall very worth while.

Swissdiver
    Participant

I like TA, use it and contributes. It is a invaluable tool provided it is used with a minimum of common sense (yes for instance, I am more at ease with frequent contributors). I particularly like users’ photos and tips. I am also exchanging on their forum…

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I use TA and contribute to it mostly for leisure travel. I tend to look at the profile of a contributor and believe the ones who write a mixture of both praiseworthy and critical reviews. If they do that then I respect their opinions. The tips are very helpful and I’ve found a few great places that were off the normal tracks that I doubt I would have found otherwise.

Like almost all forums, this one included, contibute what you can as objectively as possible and learn what you wish to and I find it works.

travelworld
    Participant

I use and contribute to it. It’s generally very good and you can usually sort out the constructive criticism from the unreasonable whinger.Hotels are not, I think, reviewed within their classification, so a two star B and B might score more highly than the five star deluxe is something you simply need to be alive to-don’t therefore take the No 1 rating as meaning you are staying in the best hotel in that location.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I do not use TA anymore. I found the reviews to be plain untruthful and have always been disappointed when booking in a strange city using TA for advice,

By the far the best is Booking.com They have a points system and the only people who can comment are those who have stayed at the establishment and who have made their booking via booking.com

I find these reviews very helpful and till now have not been let down.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

PS. They can often be cheaper than the hotel’s website. A few days ago I booked the Hilton at Dartford and it was £20 cheaper than the best price on Hilton.com I’m now booking a night at Zurich and again it’s cheaper, though only by chf 10. Still!

stevescoots
    Participant

I use it occasionally, have posted a ferw reviews. in general I use as a basic guide as as I never trust anyone to be totally subjective

Binman62
    Participant

Thanks for the booking.com recommendation.

PerthWA
    Participant

I read/contribute to TA, booking and Expedia as I’ve used all 3 for recommendations and booking. There’s no doubt about it, some of the (glowing and bad) reviews are ridiculous but on many occasion, places that have “bad” reviews on TA have turned up absolute trumps on arrival. I finally figured this out as cheap rooms booked via Expedia are the worst of the facility on offer so what do you expect in terms of a review thats then put on TA? As with everything to do with travel, the last flight, room, restaurant experience YOU had is the one you’ll probably comment on. That said…i truly wish I’d listened a little closer to some of the reviews and taken notice. You get what you pay for… Still.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls