Ding… who uses the call button on-board?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

• handbag
    Participant

Recently had a 8 year old child in WT who I had answered the bell to 6 times (within the first 3 – 4 hours of flight) and other Crew had on top of this.

The last ding was to take away one plastic glasses that he had finished with. I suggested that the next time he wanted something, could he please come into the galley.

The parents did not seem to even acknowledge what was happening. More and more I am finding it is young children who press the bell more times than an adult ever would and the parents ignore it or do not think there is anything wrong with doing so.

I personally would be mortified if when young, my child rang the bell once, let alone approx 10 times. Guess the days of seen but not heard are long gone 🙂

Poshgirl58
    Participant

[quote quote=756023]The parents did not seem to even acknowledge what was happening.[/quote]

Handbag – I suspect they did but viewed it as a way to keep him occupied!

With many call buttons now on seat back screens or in the hand-held controls they are easier to reach than the overhead ones. However, I’ve seen parents actively encourage their toddler to climb all over them (and the back of your seat) to play with the call button/lights/air vents.

Came close to using call button for first time last year on VS flight from Barbados to Gatwick. Two male passengers squaring up to each other over access to the toilet (one wanted to walk through other’s extra legroom space). Thankfully one of the wives intervened.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=756023]Recently had a 8 year old child in WT who I had answered the bell to 6 times (within the first 3 – 4 hours of flight) and other Crew had on top of this.
    [/quote]

That is just ridiculous and needs to be stopped.

Did you give the parents a warning?

canucklad
    Participant

Well Handbag
    It sounds like you had Timmy on-board…..

Comes with a profanasauraus warning : )

http://viz.co.uk/category/spoilt-bastard/

handbag
    Participant

There was no point in talking to parents. If they though they shouldn’t, by the 2nd or 3rd visit to him , they would have stopped him. It would have been a waste of time.

I was very polite , but the tone and the look I gave the child ensured he did not ring again. Find with spoiltbrats that they are so shocked when someone says no, that it works, as they are not used to it.

I really should have put a stop to it earlier.

handbag
    Participant

🙂 🙂 🙂
    [quote quote=756100]Well Handbag
    It sounds like you had Timmy on-board…..

Comes with a profanasauraus warning : )

http://viz.co.uk/category/spoilt-bastard/

[/quote]

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Question for the flight attendants on here: doing the quiet parts of a long haul flight, if a passenger wants to request something (another cup of coffee, a glass of wine) what do you prefer – that the call button is used, or that the passenger wanders into the galley and asks in person?

handbag
    Participant

[quote quote=756226]Question for the flight attendants on here: doing the quiet parts of a long haul flight, if a passenger wants to request something (another cup of coffee, a glass of wine) what do you prefer – that the call button is used, or that the passenger wanders into the galley and asks in person?

[/quote]

In Club or First, have no preference either way. In WT prefer people to come into galley, but happy to answer if pressed. Also totally understand why those in centre seats would not want to disturb others to get out of seat.

It is amazing on some flights how much work we sometimes have during the quiet section of the flight. Yesterday, going to JFK , after meal service and duty frees IN WT, we did a juice round. Some Crew went on break for an hour. During that hour, as well as swapping drinks bars from other galleys, we have to restock, and do bar paperwork for USA Customs , as well as do further juice rounds(if time), our security checks and answer call bells. Therefore ,it saves a bit of time if some come into the galley.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Thanks handbag, that is actually very useful to know. I will continue to wander in.

I empathise with the feeling that there is little time when on the way to JFK. Flights between W Europe and E North America are really quite short.

handbag
    Participant

Just as and insight as to what we are doing in WT after the meal service.

We used to have a bit more spare time in WT on the shorter USA flights, but a year or so ago a decision was made to round trip the bars. Previously all the liquor bars in Club and WT would be offloaded and swapped for new ones at our destination. Now, lost of place this does not happen as extra bars are loaded. We swap them around from not so easy to access places onboard and restock the bars ready for the next flight. This previously would have been done on the ground. Every where we go the paperwork regulations are different. Some places we just lock, others we do the full paperwork. Into the USA, every single item, in every single bar, has to be counted and filled out on the paperwork. Now that we have almost double the bars we used to have, this takes quite a bit of time, as well as the moving from one part of the aircraft to another.

Before I start any of the above, I will always go into the CSD office and write in any defects that have appeared so far on the flight and also pass over any catering issues or other items for the onboard for/ipad.

Some of the longer flights , we have 2 meal services and will spend time moving trolleys from one galley to another and then making the contents of the trolleys workable (7 not full trolleys, made in to 5/ 6 for easier use). For some reason, the catering supply company do not always/ rarely load the trolleys in an easy logical format.

Depending on the route, I can have anything from 10 to 150 Special Meals, which need sorting and label, for a quick efficient service.

There are flights, where we do have chance to sit and relax a bit, but there are also flights that we are constantly busy. I know from a passengers point of view, many think that once the service is over, that is it.

macman147
    Participant

I use a wheelchair so if I need anything during a flight other than trying to stop a crew member walking past I have to use the call bell. A lot of times crew walk past the lit light above my head seeing it but not asking if I need anything.

Sometimes half an hour or 45 minutes go by and it doesn’t get answered. If I need something quick it can be quite distressing waiting.

Some crews only want to assist when they feel like it not when I actually want assistance.

handbag
    Participant

[quote quote=757486]I use a wheelchair so if I need anything during a flight other than trying to stop a crew member walking past I have to use the call bell. A lot of times crew walk past the lit light above my head seeing it but not asking if I need anything.

Sometimes half an hour or 45 minutes go by and it doesn’t get answered. If I need something quick it can be quite distressing waiting.

Some crews only want to assist when they feel like it not when I actually want assistance.

[/quote
    I am both surprised and sad to hear that is your experience. That is not what I would expect the experience of a passenger on a flight I am working on.

The only time that call bells would generally not be answered on the flights that I am on are
    Take off and landing , as we are not allowed to get out of or seats
    Or
    When we are already out in the cabin doing a Service and do not necessarily know it has been rang.

If you have come from another Cabin, It is very easy to walk past a call bell and not see it, as on certain aircraft it is a tiny light.

On numerous occasions a Crew member has come into the galley (whilst I am Serving someone) and I have said “did you get that call bell that just went off , as you walked through”. They hadn’t seen and the Crew or myself will go back outand answer it.

I would always suggest that if you see a Crew coming towards you let them know you would like assistance. That is what we are there for.

macman147
    Participant

Been happening to me for years. Crew just ignore it assuming passenger can get up.

They go by quite quick, so difficult to catch their eye. I’ve resorted to asking a passenger to go get someone for me.

This is mid flight not during take off or landing.

handbag
    Participant

macman 147
    Crew on BA do tend to know who needs assistance in the Cabin they are working ,as those needling extra assistance board early. Some may miss seeing them if they are not in the cabin at that time, but the majority would know. Also it s noted on our Passenger list.

macman147
    Participant

Yes but in my experience it doesn’t make any difference. Once I’m onboard I’m totally forgotten about till we disembark.

This is someone who’s flown a few hundred long haul flights alone.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls