Did BA’s transition to a buy-on-board service impact its brand image?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)

• InesKh
    Participant

@alainboy56 and @capetonianm

@camilledup and I are currently doing a research on this topic.
    We would be very interested in hearing more about your views on British Airways.
    Would it be possible to arrange a small interview?
    You can contact me by email on: [email protected]

capetonianm
    Participant

Hello Ines

I would be happy to talk to you although I do feel that I’ve made my views clear on this thread and others on the same forum.

Before agreeing to do so I’d like to know the purpose of your research and if you are connected with some academic or other organisation in this context.

I also wish to make clear that I won’t give you my real name as I am still, unfortunate and unlikely as it may seem, connected in a professional capacity with British Airways although not as an employee and I would not wish to risk prejudicing any relationships with other people.

Please indicate your agreement to the above and then I will email you and we can set up a telephone call.

Thank you for your interest.

InesKh
    Participant

@capetonianm

Thank you for your answer and your help. We understand that you are not able to give your name, that will not be a problem.
    We are doing the research as part of a marketing project for a Marketing class at the London School of Economics.
    Would you prefer to do a telephone/skype interview or a written interview via e-mail?

Ines

capetonianm
    Participant

Ines :
    You have mail!

rferguson
    Participant

For any Gold or Silver card holders travelling on selected LHR-GVA flights this weekend in Economy, you will be receiving a free drink.

Although this is being sold as a ‘surprise and delight’ campaign a friend of mine at head office has advised it is actually a trial and if all goes well will likely be rolled out to all BOB routes ex LHR soon. Not sure about LGW.

Tramor01
    Participant

SAS have been offering Diamond Eurobonus Card holders, plus one companion travelling with them, or up to four family members travelling free drinks in Economy for quite a while.
    I think BA have quite a way to go in order to catch up

TominScotland
    Participant

rferguson, this makes sense as ‘payment’ for the free drinks can be with BAEC Gold or silver cards which will then show zero for that first purchase. May also be quite an effective sales technique as some folk will undoubtedly purchase something else alongside their free drink.

I suspect that, after early practical problems, people are coming to accept BOB and, from my observations, it is operating quite smoothly on both short and longer flights. On my recent return from LCA, the young couple sitting near me quite willingly purchased food and drink to the value of over £40 for their (admittedly) long flight (by European standards).

alainboy56
    Participant

@TominScotland – with regard to your 2nd paragraph, so what that only means is that there are silly people out there who don’t know better and happily stump up 40 pounds plus for a couple of M & S Sandwiches. Whether working or not, it is still, according to the title of this thread, in my view damaging the brand image.
    As for your 1st paragraph, how will this work for people like me who travel on BA using my elite QR card status (as I have given up on BAEC), how will I get my free glass of red?

rferguson
    Participant

Tramor01 – Totally agree. I think SAS and Finnair have much better BOB models. I’m not aware of their provisions for top tier frequent flyers but I know when i’ve flown both they offer free tea, coffee and juice to all customers in Y. Something I feel BA should offer also.

alainboy56 – I don’t think the free bevvy will extend to non-BA OW elites. You’ll still have to get your credit card out.

alainboy56
    Participant

@rferguson – Finnair and SAS — as the latter SK have been almost bankrupt for many years. The former, because AY reflects life in Finland — tough, austere, miserable and expensive (I can say that with impunity and a smile on my face as my wife is Finnish).
    Why stop at the juice and coffee, why not one glass of red. After all, and I repeat the words of Supreme leader Kim Jong Cruz – something along the lines of … we have listened to our customers complaints about the quality of food, so we are taking away the free sarnie and you now can you can buy some overpriced M & S s#%*@ …. or words to that effect, but there was no mention of a glass of red, or that anyone had ever complained that it was always Spanish Tempranillo (even on flights from Italy or France – hardly a vote winner with Italian or French passengers). But there you go, he took that away too.
    On your last para, that is exactly why this thread is important – because my question to myself is, why should I bother with BA again? I can fly EZY or Norwegian just as comfortably and professionally around Europe (not that I do so much travel in Europe these days, just Pisa or Genova, and Helsinki (OMG) normally), and they are also BOB, but also importantly generally cheaper than BA.
    So if they are all BOB, whats the difference? Only the seat cost.
    N.B. I did not include FR in my comparisons here, as they are IMHO, an insult to any serious traveler.

P.S. This is also written with a smile on my face and a chuckle in my voice, I’m not just any non BA O/W Elite, I’m an Elite cardholder of the part owner of BA !

rferguson
    Participant

alainboy56 – I guess the business models of BA and Easy/Ryanair are different in the sense that BA HAS to operate the short haul flights it has to enable it to compete as a hub network airline. Anything from 10-60% of the seats depending on route/day of week/time of day will be occupied by transit passengers to/from BA’s long haul services.

As for why to choose BA over Easy? Good question, and I guess that it’s down to each individual to work out the pros and cons and the amount of money they could potentially save by choosing one airline over another. But for me – as a BA GCH – the advantages of flying BA are obvious. Fast track security, lounge access, seat selection. But of course for me this would not necessarily come at any price. If the difference in fare say between Easy and BA was £20, £30 per sector I would definitely fly BA. If the difference was excessive I would (and have in the past) shop around.

‘Legacy airlines’ in the past have flirted with BOB and then gone back to full service – most of the US carriers, Swiss, Virgin Australia – and I would imagine this was due to the numbers being crunched, passengers leaving in droves and the management decision that it’s actually more cost effective to provide free drinks/snacks than lose market. Whether BA will fall into that camp will remain to be seen. Personally I doubt it. I do hope they further tweak the offering to include some more complimentary options though.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

N.B. I did not include FR in my comparisons here, as they are IMHO, an insult to any serious traveler.

What an strange opinion. FR may not be travelling in style, but it is not very far away from BA in product, these days. Take away the shiny card and what’s the difference?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=859633]rferguson, this makes sense as ‘payment’ for the free drinks can be with BAEC Gold or silver cards which will then show zero for that first purchase. May also be quite an effective sales technique as some folk will undoubtedly purchase something else alongside their free drink.

I suspect that, after early practical problems, people are coming to accept BOB and, from my observations, it is operating quite smoothly on both short and longer flights. On my recent return from LCA, the young couple sitting near me quite willingly purchased food and drink to the value of over £40 for their (admittedly) long flight (by European standards).[/quote]

Ah, bless. Did the cabin crew sprinkle rose petals down the aisles in front of the passengers as well?

FWIW, on my last BA short haul, the trolley never got beyond row 7ish, due to problems with card machines – that was in January and I haven’t bothered with BA in Feb or Mar, as I’ve got better value elsewhere.

fatbear
    Participant

I recall towards the end of their existence BMI give free food and drink in economy if you produced a gold or silver status card.

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls