CX reverses policy of tagging Rimowa suitcases 'fragile.'

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

In a matter of hours Cathay Pacific decided to reverse its policy of tagging expensive Rimowa suitcases as “fragile.”

The airline had decided to issue this instruction to staff because of the high cost of damage claims.

These suitcases can cost HK$10,000 or more. Scmp.com quotes an example of where a single Rimowa suitcase can cost as much as an economy HKG-LHR-HKG ticket.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2086340/cathay-pacific-staff-give-rimowa-suitcases-fragile-tags-due

canucklad
    Participant

Not great publicity for the brand. If I was paying a £1000 for a piece of luggage, I’d expect it to be as tough as an elephant called Sam : )

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’m a big fan of the Rimowa IATA trolley (Salsa, polycarbonate and have had three of those, which each have lasted several years), but gave up on the larger polycarbonates ages ago, as I found they did tend to break at the corners (probably through extreme mishandling, to be fair).

Let’s be honest, any suitcase has it’s breaking point, but these days I use K2 Global Pro-Glide or American Tourister polyprop/polycarb cases that cost circa £80 and the airlines are happy to replace them when they break them – interestingly, I have not paid for a large suitcase for a few years – the last one being my polyprop Roncato that eventually just wore out (sadly I don’t have a local dealer, as it was an excellent case, but the K2 Pro Glide is shaping up in a similar way and is my main workhorse).

stevescoots
    Participant

I think the problem here is that items like Rimowa and Halliburton were designed as tough travel cases, they are meant to take the knocks and after a few trips will resemble a 20 year Vauxhall nova that’s been thrashed around the nearest mcdonalds car park at 3am in the morning. Yet, still be secure and everything in place. However, they have become yet another functional tough product that has become a fashion accessory so the slightest scratch and people are making claims for them. I don’t blame the airlines for pushing back on claims. I do think CX was wrong to single out one brand though as its potentially damaging to that brand. far better to just put out that all metal shell or hard shell cases must have fragile tags on them

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

My main business suitcase is a hard shell Delsey 4 wheel spinner (cost USD $130) which I have had for a couple of years now. It’s been around a lot of the world with me and stands up pretty well.

The one and only time I’ve had to check it into the hold, it’s come back with a damaged wheel which makes steering difficult and needs repair.

Personally, I can’t see the point in expensive luggage like Tumi or Rimowa – looks to me like it’s no more than a status symbol, but of course, I may be wrong…..

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=801974]My main business suitcase is a hard shell Delsey 4 wheel spinner (cost USD $130) which I have had for a couple of years now. It’s been around a lot of the world with me and stands up pretty well.

The one and only time I’ve had to check it into the hold, it’s come back with a damaged wheel which makes steering difficult and needs repair.

Personally, I can’t see the point in expensive luggage like Tumi or Rimowa – looks to me like it’s no more than a status symbol, but of course, I may be wrong…..

[/quote]

I agree with you for checked in bags – for cabin luggage or rarely checked in bags, I tend to buy a good make.

e.g. I use a Tumi laptop bag – Ive had it over 10 years and it has barely a mark on it, the only signs of age are wearing to the leather handles. The quality of the nylon yarn it’s made from is very high and the £350 initial costis looking better value every year.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=801590]I think the problem here is that items like Rimowa and Halliburton were designed as tough travel cases, they are meant to take the knocks and after a few trips will resemble a 20 year Vauxhall nova that’s been thrashed around the nearest mcdonalds car park at 3am in the morning. Yet, still be secure and everything in place. However, they have become yet another functional tough product that has become a fashion accessory so the slightest scratch and people are making claims for them. I don’t blame the airlines for pushing back on claims. I do think CX was wrong to single out one brand though as its potentially damaging to that brand. far better to just put out that all metal shell or hard shell cases must have fragile tags on them

[/quote]

Steve, just out of interest, I had a metal Rimowa case about 10 years ago (thought it might be the answer to the broken plastic ones).

An airline who shall remain nameless (because I can’t remember which one it was LOL) managed to bash it so comprehensively that the frame was buckled beyond economic repair.

But you were right, after 2-3 years it looked as it if it had been used for target practice by a stock car 🙂

stevescoots
    Participant

FDOS, and thats what a rimowa is good for, if it was something else all your sundries would have been spread around the baggage area/taxiway 🙂 Some people however expect to get the, back without a scratch. for my hold luggage i would never pay above £200 for a huge case. I always go soft sided as they tend to take the impacts of handlers throwing them 12 feet out of a hold. My carry on I do spend money on i control how its looked after and a good one will last many years.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls