Crying on planes – films / movies to avoid

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Very funny / touching piece on crying on planes

Letter of Recommendation: In-Flight Movies https://nyti.ms/2jJuKsC

I’ve yet to watch Lion…

Tamsin Cocks
    Keymaster

Definitely guilty of shedding a few tears onboard a plane… but I think scary movies may be even more of a concern…

I was once transiting in Dubai and boarded Emirates for the second leg. Happily, the IFE content worked while the plane was still on the tarmac, so I was able to get stuck back in to the thriller I had been watching…

Unfortunately, I was caught out by a particularly jumpy scene and let out a not-so-subtle scream… this was compounded by the fact that there was no engine drone to muffle my noise, as we were still on the ground…

About three rows of alarmed people swung round to look at red-faced me… While most of them saw the funny side (once they’d realised there was no reason for actual alarm), a few gave me dirty looks and were probably quite unhappy to be seated near a madwoman for the next six hours…

So the moral is, avoid any film that might provoke inappropriate emotional responses in the air!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Back in the 80’s on a Jeddah to Brussels flight, Sabena showed the Airplane disaster movie! To make matters worse thet had run out of alcoholic beverages as they did not load enough on the way down.

Other than that I rarely watch movies in flight as I hate getting into it to then be interrupted by some often mundane announcement or other – such as “Duty free sales now starting, look at catalogs”, explanation where to find such catalogue etc and then said in three languages.

That said when I do I never get emotional. Mrs. LP thinks I’m hard and unsentimental she says as the tears stream down her face! 😉

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Spolier alert – well, not really, but….

I watched World War Z and was completely baffled because the whole of the plane crash scene was omitted – I couldn’t work out how one minute Brad Pitt was fleeing Israel and the next he was wandering around Wales.

canucklad
    Participant

LP, I’ve mentioned this before, and is still worthy of mention when chatting about movies in the air. Air Canada in their blockbusting wisdom opted to load up the hit movie of 1975 onto their 747’s that plied the route between YYZ & YVR.

The film stared Charlton Heston, Karen Black and George Kennedy, Gloria Swanson also made her final movie appearance and was the .highest grossing film of the year.

Back to the main theme about crying on-board. I’d challenge anybody and everybody to stay arid dry as you watch the film Marley and Me………And LP , I’d bet that Mrs. LP would be proud of you as you tried to sneakily wipe the tears of your cheeks : )

Flightlevel
    Participant

Sully and Airplane-the movie, should be compulsory viewing on all flights.
    I only cry when UK government adds more tax to longhaul business class!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A challenge Canucklad. I love ’em. I shall look it up and watch and will report back, hoping my tears don’t short my keyboard 😉

handbag
    Participant

“Me before You” is the saddest film I have ever seen.

“a wealthy young banker left paralyzed from an accident two years earlier. Will’s cynical outlook starts to change when Louisa shows him that life is worth living. As their bond deepens, their lives and hearts change in ways neither one could have imagined.”

Never cried at a film onboard before, but couldn’t stop. A real Chick Flick. Don’t think will appeal to many of the guys.

mkcol74
    Participant

My husband & I separately watched My Sister’s Keeper on the same flight years ago, both silently shedding tears.

K1ngston
    Participant

Apologies just seen this, so I have two accounts to relate, the first for the film Lion mentioned elsewhere, this is by far one of the saddest, and uplifting movies of its time, and I was there on a flight (remember for those that now know me) I travel in Y as I am in Start Up mode and I started watching the movie and I think I cried most of the way through (I am definitely in touch with my inner self) and towards the end of the film the Stewardess who must have been having a laugh at my expense bought me a tissue and basically said I would be needing it…

My husband and I were coming back from our honeymoon recently and he was trying to watch the latest Alien movie and the screams of horror emanating from him were most embarrassing if not amusing for the ladies sat to our right …..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls