Compensation for loss of A380 flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• Anonymous

When Tim Clark, CEO makes statement on the Airbus 380, “Those airplanes are always full, they’re always popular. We’ve had multiple cancellations. We’ve had people telling us ‘Well you sold me the A380’, so we had to throw in 5,000 or 10,000 miles or give money back. It’s a mess.” why do the customer affairs reply to enquiries like this, “Emirates operates one of the youngest fleets in the industry, having recently taken delivery of new Boeing 777 and A380 aircraft, and does not guarantee a particular aircraft type on any given route. Whilst we understand the excitement generated at the prospect of flying on the A380, we do not provide compensation when we change an aircraft type, as there is no difference in the fare for the change of aircraft”

It seems that the airline is not being consistent in this matter or is being disingenuous with its customers!

Cleancabinair
    Participant

I think Emirates must be trying to bury this story as I have heard of no compensation or gestures being made by the airline toward its passengers!! However it maybe case that ‘Not all passengers are treated equally’ and will depend on your revenue spend with the airline and your status as a Skywards Member. It seems that GOLD status(far too common!) doesn’t ‘cut the mustard’ in the eyes of their customer affairs!
    Would be interesting to know if any EK travellers have had a communication with the airline whereby they have indicated that they will provide any compensation or gesture in the form of miles etc?

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

Emirates is playing this close to its chest, I think they were caught out by their CEO being honest and up-front about the issue!

I read a story about this on Australian Business Traveller last month (http://www.ausbt.com.au/emirates-offering-skyward-frequent-flyer-miles-and-money-refunds-for-downgrades-from-airbus-a380) and here’s an extract.

“Australian Business Traveller asked Emirates’ Australian spokespeople to comment on how many miles’ compensation could be expected if, for example, a passenger booked in the fully flat, direct-aisle-access Airbus A380 business class was bumped to the angled lie-flat business class with middle seats on the Boeing 777-300ER.

An Emirates spokesperson would say only that “enquiries are dealt with on a case by case basis… customers with queries are encouraged to get in touch with Emirates.” However, the airline says that no A380s have been swapped out of Australian flights.”

So Emirates PR wasn’t willing to even acknowledge the issue let alone answer any specific questions!!

In a way I don’t blame them because if they come out and say “yes, business class on A380 swapped for B777 equals 10,000 Skywards points” or whatever would open the floodgates of claims. But on the other hand they _should_ be up front about all this and set fair expectations and the high customer service they always bang on about.

So yes, very interested to hear if anybody here has had an equipment swap from A380 to B777 and what if any compensation they got, and what they had to do to get it!

ToxicAir
    Participant

Hi Steve,
    I would say that you are right in that Tim Clark is being kept under wraps after that gaff in the press! Its not the first time either that he has been caught out! Think that his credibility could be called into question if he doesn’t keep the rest of the airline in touch with his next pronouncement! Mind think that has been his style for many years in the ivory tower!
    Do the decent thing and make the gesture to your passengers!

Cleancabinair
    Participant

It is now over 2 months since the statement was made to the declaring that there was compensation or a gesture to be made to those pax who booked on the AB 380 then were moved to other aircraft! However not a word has been said since on this matter!
    The Skywards staff in the lounge are distinctly uncomfortable when pax ask for a update or communication on the matter.
    It seems that the CEO does not seem to care if he makes comments to the world press and then does not back them up. So his credibility is on the line! Maybe ‘Business Traveller’ who also carried the story would like to ask the question of Mr. Clark or get a response from their customer affairs group with the latest on this debacle?

RichHI1
    Participant

This raises an interesting question. Legally airlines are not bound to a plane type, a type of seat, flying non stop or not completing by bus, not bumping you into business or coach, or virtually anything else. They can even get another airline to carry you.
    Yes they offer compensation but good luck if you don’t like and take them to court. They still benefit from legislation introduced in the days of subsidized state carriers that make them untouchable.
    Is it not time that airline contracts were updated and all aspects of the deal were conditional. It is defensible to advertise planes, cabins or services to get customers and then not provide them. Let’s have some more honesty and accountability from airlines. The good carriers do not hide behind the law too often but some of them… The law should be changed to introduce a more realistic equality of parties rather than a license to print money ( which is then thrown away by antiquated business models).

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Rich, been said many times on many threads.

I can not think of another business that can advertise a product and not be legally obliged to supply the advertised product.

Rich, I agree with you, it is about time airlines became accountable for the products and services being sold.

transtraxman
    Participant

Could you please explain to me what the difference is between…

advertising a product i.e. “fly with XXXAir to New York in the extreme comfort of a completely new Airbus 380”,

and

“Fly with us on XXXAir to New York in extreme comfort”
    and later to find out in the booking process that the aircraft to be used is an A380 – however, on flying you find the aircraft used is another.

The first is definitely a promise/contract while the second is not in my view.

RichHI1
    Participant

Transtraxman if the contract is made based on a condition, e.g. First class accomodation on long haul A380 aircraft then it is conditional. In most contracts you could sue for damage but not on air travel which is exempt. If you learn something after contracting then you would not be able to rely upon it.
    Charles Q agree with you to a point. When TWA changed a STL-HNL 767 long haul to a short haul 757 with minimum recline and A refuel stop causing a 90 minute late arrival I did complain. It must be in line with what is reasonable. In my view swapping a 747 a 777 or a 380 may be annoying but swapping long haul aircraft with short haul is unacceptable.
    The only exception to this was when DC10’s were flying and I refused point blank to board one.
    I still think if you contract to supply a service or product you should meet your obligations. Otherwise airline marketinv becomes a liars paradise.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Problems do happen, and most decent airlines do all they can to keep things moving.

Another issue is new seats. I think that when an airline upgrades its seats, it should not promote them until the rollout is complete or almost complete. For example, BA at the moment is rolling out its new first seat, they have been promoting it since the start if not before, and passengers are disappointed if they don’t get it.

SimonS1
    Participant

That wouldn’t be over promising and under delivering, would it…..

RichHI1
    Participant

The new honest marketing slogan “we’re crap but we’re sorry, really!”

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Bucksnet – you are absolutely right that problems do happen and airlines must keep things moving.

However, providing inferior products and services, especially when an aircraft goes tech, should give rise to a “balancing payment’ to passengers to reflect the “under delivery”.

Why are airlines so protected when other companies providing inferior products and services would be forced to provide a gesture……………………??

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Reminds me of the inimitable Pam Ann’s tagline – “We don’t make the same mistake more than three times. Maybe four…”

Anyone who is unfamiliar with Pam Ann needs to go on YouTube. My favourites are Pam Ann’s Global Alliance, and the one where she is trialling as a BA FA. She gets all the airlines well, but her BA skits are true works of art (and scarily accurate at times)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls