Club Europe Breakfast Picture

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

I did not fly a great deal in Club Europe last year, specifically avoiding the cabin after Easter when the daft new “narrowed” 2-2 seating arrangements were introduced.

I am pleased to say that BA listened to comments from the likes of myself and Expat_Consultant and last Summer changed back to widened seats, with the middle seats on both side of the aircraft remaining unsold (previously, the middle seat on the DEF side could be sold).

This is an improvement on the layout seen in the cabin before the Easter changes were introduced.

We often hear many tales of catering standards slipping, or non-existent service on many short hops.

However, I was reminded by this pic which I found on the net how good it can be to fly short haul in a premium cabin within Europe:

http://tinyurl.com/ykhnnlt

A delightful breakfast tray en route to MUC, and of course champagne flowing merrily to pep one up for a weekend away.

Not bad for around £180 return. http://www.ba.com/clubeurope

NTarrant
    Participant

What the picture doesn’t show is that there are two back rashers of bacon under the sausage. As a frequent Club Europe traveller the breakfast is always the best. Most of the salads at othertimes are fine.

It is a while since I last did a LHR-EDI/GLA early morning flight, but one used to get the breakfast minus the fruit with tea in a paper cup and roll wrapped.

RogEdwards
    Participant

You still do get the breakfast as you describe on ED and GLA – but after 10am it is birdseed all the way!

AndrewMonks
    Participant

Would you pay £180 for that in a restaurant?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Obviously not.

The premium over discount advance purchase economy vs. the advanced purchase CE fare I quoted is about £40 per sector.

For priority check in, lounge access (including free net access, showers, open bar, newspapers and food), a dedicated cabin, wider seats, a spare seat next to you, increased baggage allowance and additional exec club miles and Tier Points towards elite status on top of the sort of food/champagne illustrated, then it is good value for money, especially for weekend breaks.

MarkNL*
    Participant

@VintageKrug:
    Is this what they call a advertorial? 😉

MarcusUK
    Participant

The T4 Skyteam lounge serves full continental breakfast, fresh squeezed juices, Fresh cooked bacon rolls, omolettes, Sweet fruit pancakes, as well as all the usual fruits, yoghurts.
    They also serve lunch & dinner, with several meal choices at each serving (Beef burgundy , Kebabs, etc), very wholesome foods.
    If you have a Gold card with Skyteam, ditch to economy eat before you fly n save £400 a ticket.!
    beats many of the Prestigious Airlines lounges food wise in the UK especially at LHR!

NTarrant
    Participant

You can get all that in the Terraces lounges at T5 LHR. However you can’t at LGW if you want a hot breakfast you have to buy it outside the lounge

Senator
    Participant

Hi… I tend to agree with VK on this one; the extra £40 for upgrade to Club is worth it. BA and LX are the only airlines to offer this to my knowledge so I tend to use both when schedule permits and price is available of course

While Mark R is correct that other airlines offer lounge hot items as well, I have stopped using KLM due to the 3-3 Europe Select config and food is not presented very well. Staff is always good, but KLM does not stack up to any other European carrier in the front cabin. In economy it may be ok.

When I travel on holiday in Europe, I like the relaxed atmosphere business cabin and therefore spend the extra surcharge on BA and LX.

PaulJennings
    Participant

I agree with teh above comments. Club Europe is often a bargain. I flew from T3 with BA for the first time recently and was very impressed with the new lounge. Bacon sarnies and champagne is a great combination for an early breakfast after an early start and a long journey to Heathrow, and the CE meal tray plus extra pastries is a good top up during the flight. Civilised flying.

VintageKrug
    Participant

You would be well advised to eat in the lounge at T4, as this is what passes for sustenance on KLM Business Select:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/9MMAR/MalaysianWings/DSC08568.jpg

Is that mayo under the chip things…?

d1rector
    Participant

Vintage Krug – “not bad” service from your breakfast snap? Oh, please. Our business class tickets – and prices – deserve absolutely nothing less. I have long been a loyal BA supporter but at the same time do not feel abjectly grateful or graciously privileged for the prices I have paid over the years.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Well, you also get brekky and champers in the LHR/LGW lounges as well!!

Excellent on board catering is just one of the advantage of flying Club Europe; sad to see this option is becoming increasingly challenged by company travel policies.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls