Clementine im Glashaus, Palais Coburg Residenz, Vienna, Austria

Back to Forum
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

• uggboylovestravel
    Participant

Our Breakfast and Dinner experiences, July 2016

During our stay at the Palais Coburg Residence in Vienna, Austria (Please see also review) in July 2016 my fiancé and I had three a la carte breakfasts and two memorable dinners at Clementine im Glashaus.

The restaurant is named after Clementine of Orleans, the first resident of the Palais Coburg, who was the daughter of King Louis Philippe I of France and married to Prince August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

A portrait of her is the center piece of the restaurant and adds to the romantic feel of Clementine im Glashaus. It is the all-day dining restaurant.

The restaurant is located in the gardens of the hotel and there is indoor and outdoor seating – weather permitting.

It can be reached via stairs or lift to the first floor. and is housed in a beautiful conservatory. It looks intricate and Victorian.

The restaurant felt Asian with dark wooden furniture and blossom prints. There was also a magnificent chandelier as another focal point.

The kitchen is located adjacent to the dining room and the small window left open, if there were no guests. Once we had breakfast indoors, because all the outdoor seating was taken. When we took our seats the window was shut and we couldn’t follow the going ons in the kitchen any longer.

Mostly, though, we enjoyed sitting outside, either in the sunshine, protected by umbrellas, or in the warm darkness, lit up by the dining room and romantic lantern on the table in the evening.

We could choose any table we wanted and it didn’t matter for how many persons it was setup.

The breakfast was served a la carte with sets available and included in our rate.

Our favorite was the “Low-Carb”, which included bread, butter, smoked salmon, radish, cucumber, tomato, avocado and lemon dressing, plain yogurt with berries, omelette with cream cheese and herbs, water and a hot beverage of our choice (green tea).

Another innovative item was the eggs in a glass. There was a choice between chives and garden radish, carrot, lemon, sprouts and olive oil or smoked salmon, wild herbs and spinach. We tested the salmon. The eggs made surprisingly full.

The Joseph bread was also delicious.

Dinner was based on modern Austrian cuisine. We tried the excellent cocktails, like the Re-Start or My Sweet Clementine and had a glass each of 2012 Traminer Beerenauslese “Coburg Selection” by Kracher, an Austrian dessert wine which we both found outstanding served only by the glass. Beside Tokaj Aszu Essencia it proved to be our favorite in terms of sweet wines on offer.

Some of the dishes we had were carrot-ginger soup and mozzarella as starters and the guinea fowl breast and duck with rhubarb as main courses. The quality was very high and the meals delicious. The portion sizes were generous and we were mostly totally stuffed, when we left. Dinner cost approximately 100 Euro / ca. 105.80 USD.

Other diners were locals and hotel guests. Some of them celebrated an anniversary or birthday.

If it was a birthday staff and members belonging to the party sang “Happy Birthday”.

It was a nice mix of groups and couples. We had chosen the hotel for a pampering experience for my own round birthday.

The staff was efficient, intuitive, interested in what we were up to and helpful. There were different teams for breakfast and dinner. They all were an asset for the restaurant.

Carina – hope the name is spelled correctly – asked each morning how the event we had planned for today and how the previous day had gone.

On the day of my birthday I received a cake for breakfast and one for dinner with sparklers. Each member of staff congratulated me, but didn’t draw too much attention to me, for which I was grateful and loved that I was really spoiled.

One waitress was happy to help my fiancé, who wanted to take photographs of our dishes in the evening/darkness. She held the lantern the way he wanted it and for how long the shoot took. She was gracious about it, even so my better half was demanding. This has never happened before or afterwards so far, the service was wonderful and memorable for the right reasons. Spot on, wonderful.

We would want to return again and again to Clementine im Glasshaus, when back in Vienna, Austria in our future.

Please see/visit our uploads/memories on Flickr about our breakfast and dinner experiences at Clementine im Glashaus at the Palais Coburg Residenz, Vienna, Austria, July 2016:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/uggboy/albums/72157671538516455

Would we recommend this restaurant to our friends? YES!
    Would we want to enjoy breakfast/dinner and more again at this restaurant? YES!

Thank you and safe travels.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls