Captain Obvious and Friends

Back to Forum

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  FaroFlyer 18 Apr 2017
at 12:21

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

Hotels.com uses the character of ‘Captain Obvious’ on their website, making tautological comments e.g. ‘Hotels.com is a site for finding hotels’, whilst attired in what appears to be a Austro-Hungarian’s naval special forces uniform from circa 1867.

But he has a challenger.

Whilst checking out what mischief SimonS1 has been up to on Flyertalk, which I find much more interesting than FT itself, I came across this quotation that Capt. Obvious would be proud of

I find that the F seat on BA is much more comfortable than CW and there is a lot more space, particularly on the A380.

Who’d have thunk that?

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Not quite the same as Hotels.com or FT, but on 2 recent flights with Monarch the Captain has announced that “We shall be starting the engines before take off”, which came as a complete surprise to me.

GivingupBA
    Participant

FaroFlyer, thanks for that, by the way the Monarch announcement reminds me of Groucho Marx’s well-known humorous question, “Who is buried in Grant’s tomb?”

SimonS1
    Participant

Indeed FDOS.

There is a group of posters whose job it is to defend BA at whatever cost and regardless of the situation.

Included within that is a range of good distraction techniques including talking about the A380 when the OP has just said how dire his F experience on a 777 was.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Reminds me when I wanted to hire a 4×4 in Togo from Avis back in the 80’s, but couldn’t think of the translation to French of 4 wheel drive. The (translated) conversation went as follows.

I’d like to rent a car with four wheels.
    Yes sir, all our cars have 4 wheels!
    No, I mean that the wheels all turn at the same time.
    I can assure you sir all the wheels on our cars turn at the same time.
    No, no, I mean all turn at once in the same direction even on a hill.
    (Deadpan but puzzled face) Yes sir, they all do that?
    Finally I said, no, I mean like a Land Rover or a Jeep.
    Ah sir, a four by four?
    Yes, that’s it. Thanks.
    Sorry sir, we don’t have any!!!

SimonS1
    Participant

So the thread is now open again despite the post 2 upwards saying its closed.

What a laugh.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Well it’s supposed to be a funny thread. Try and be nice.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Tom, I think it is an amusing thread and let’s hope we get a few more captain obvious stories.
    It’s also great you listen to your readers and don’t assume the air of an offended dictator, unlike some other editors I know!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Not quite the same as Hotels.com or FT, but on 2 recent flights with Monarch the Captain has announced that “We shall be starting the engines before take off”, which came as a complete surprise to me.

Just noticed that – what a classic 🙂

FDOS_UK
    Participant

How about a roadsign?
    +++++

Unfortunately, won’t upload, never mid.

Here’s a link to another…..

http://www.dirtygirlmotorracing.com/articles/Leonard/sign-caution-rain-wet.gif

GivingupBA
    Participant

Tom, thanks for all your work. I appreciate it. Forum moderator is a job where you get a lot of flak but few notes of thanks.

The BT forum is very useful to me. I also enjoy it and read it twice a day.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Yes I always laugh at the UK road sign about wet roads – or is that sexist?

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Or the urinals with the yellow sign saying “Wet floor”

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Which reminds me of a time we were at an outdoor event in Portugal with friends. The lady asked what “S” and “H” stood for. I explained that it is Sitters or Holders.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls