Captain Obvious and Friends

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

Hotels.com uses the character of ‘Captain Obvious’ on their website, making tautological comments e.g. ‘Hotels.com is a site for finding hotels’, whilst attired in what appears to be a Austro-Hungarian’s naval special forces uniform from circa 1867.

But he has a challenger.

Whilst checking out what mischief SimonS1 has been up to on Flyertalk, which I find much more interesting than FT itself, I came across this quotation that Capt. Obvious would be proud of

I find that the F seat on BA is much more comfortable than CW and there is a lot more space, particularly on the A380.

Who’d have thunk that?

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Not quite the same as Hotels.com or FT, but on 2 recent flights with Monarch the Captain has announced that “We shall be starting the engines before take off”, which came as a complete surprise to me.

GivingupBA
    Participant

FaroFlyer, thanks for that, by the way the Monarch announcement reminds me of Groucho Marx’s well-known humorous question, “Who is buried in Grant’s tomb?”

SimonS1
    Participant

Indeed FDOS.

There is a group of posters whose job it is to defend BA at whatever cost and regardless of the situation.

Included within that is a range of good distraction techniques including talking about the A380 when the OP has just said how dire his F experience on a 777 was.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Reminds me when I wanted to hire a 4×4 in Togo from Avis back in the 80’s, but couldn’t think of the translation to French of 4 wheel drive. The (translated) conversation went as follows.

I’d like to rent a car with four wheels.
    Yes sir, all our cars have 4 wheels!
    No, I mean that the wheels all turn at the same time.
    I can assure you sir all the wheels on our cars turn at the same time.
    No, no, I mean all turn at once in the same direction even on a hill.
    (Deadpan but puzzled face) Yes sir, they all do that?
    Finally I said, no, I mean like a Land Rover or a Jeep.
    Ah sir, a four by four?
    Yes, that’s it. Thanks.
    Sorry sir, we don’t have any!!!

SimonS1
    Participant

So the thread is now open again despite the post 2 upwards saying its closed.

What a laugh.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Well it’s supposed to be a funny thread. Try and be nice.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Tom, I think it is an amusing thread and let’s hope we get a few more captain obvious stories.
    It’s also great you listen to your readers and don’t assume the air of an offended dictator, unlike some other editors I know!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=802342]Not quite the same as Hotels.com or FT, but on 2 recent flights with Monarch the Captain has announced that “We shall be starting the engines before take off”, which came as a complete surprise to me.

[/quote]

Just noticed that – what a classic 🙂

FDOS_UK
    Participant

How about a roadsign?
    +++++

Unfortunately, won’t upload, never mid.

Here’s a link to another…..

http://www.dirtygirlmotorracing.com/articles/Leonard/sign-caution-rain-wet.gif

GivingupBA
    Participant

Tom, thanks for all your work. I appreciate it. Forum moderator is a job where you get a lot of flak but few notes of thanks.

The BT forum is very useful to me. I also enjoy it and read it twice a day.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Yes I always laugh at the UK road sign about wet roads – or is that sexist?

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Or the urinals with the yellow sign saying “Wet floor”

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Which reminds me of a time we were at an outdoor event in Portugal with friends. The lady asked what “S” and “H” stood for. I explained that it is Sitters or Holders.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls