Cancelled flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Anonymous

deSQuared
    Participant

As a result of the recent typhoon my flight cx845 was cancelled. Whilst I appreciate that this means many planes are then out of location one would assume that this problem would be solved 4 days later.

The key issue though is how this cancellation was handled, I received no notification of the cancellation just a new e-ticket. Fortunately I looked at this prior to heading to the airport. With my origanal ticket booked to get me home to spend some time with my family in SIngapore before my next flight, I was some what surprised to see that I was now scheduled to arrive in HK some 16 hours later at 22.00 on the 28th July, however my connecting flight to singapore was still booked as 8.00 on the 28th of July.

After searching for local reservation numbers in the US I found the 800 number did not work or was never answered.

Forced to ring the MP diamond number in HK I spent 25 minutes on an international call only to establish that I would have to spend an additional night in HK before getting home. Only when I complained did they indicate that there may be an earlier flight, after some discussion I was moved to a 10.00 am flight only 9 hours late, but at least allowing me one day of my weekend in Sngapore.

Having to rebook my hotel, I am now sitting in the BA first lounge and despite voicing my frustrations have received no apology for my inconvenience, no text detailing change of flight and no mention of compensation for my additional nights hotel charge.

I was a loyal customer of Cathay being a diamond member for a number of years and despite living in Singapore chose to route all my long haul flights through HK – never again, particularly with so many viable alternatives in Singapore, SQ can have my business.

BigDog.
    Participant

For any flights starting from Europe or any flight landing in Europe, on a European registered carrier, EU legislation applies.

EU regulation 261 covers delays, cancellations and denied boarding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004

It provides for increasing levels of compensation for most circumstances lasting over 3 hours. In certain circumstances this includes providing suitable accommodation – NB An airport lounge is not suitable accommodation as some airlines have tried to claim.

The legislation is retroactive 7 years so you can still claim for past problems.

If the airline is reluctant to pay out, the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) has a large team which will take on your complaint if justified. Details here

http://www.caa.co.uk/homepage.aspx?catid=1759

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2226&pagetype=90

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls