Cabin Announcements after take off

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Why are there such a plethora of post take off cabin announcements?

Why can’t they be made pre take off? I was just dozing off, the rumble of the jets was sending me to a nice place… then………… “I would like to add my personal welcome………..” – you could have done it before take off….!!

Trying to squeeze the latest Jason Statham movie in on a 2 hour flight (HKG-BKK), was near impossible with introductions, then route updates, shopping and then an announcement about the meal service… I know I can smell it…..

Why is there a need for post take of announcements…. Please shut up and keep the cabin quiet…. (rant over)…

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Completely agree Martyn. I think all of these could and should be made pre-takeoff. The ones that come from crew who are busy before takeoff can just be left out. They add nothing.

The content of “introductions, then route updates, shopping and then an announcement about the meal service” is all stuff we know, and many of us on this forum will have heard them hundreds of times. Just shut up.

esselle
    Participant

QR give the announcements in two languages after take off, and then list all the languages spoken by the crew…….although their current safety video is brilliant.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Perhaps the announcements are of some use to people who fly less frequently and who do not know what to expect? Some people may find them reassuring.

I’m however with David and Martyn but I suspect that most people on an aircraft are not frequent flyers, especially those in the rear cabins.

It’s a pity more airlines do not do what SIA do particularly on the A380 and have cabin specific announcments that those in other parts of the aircraft do not hear resulting in almost none in Suites or First.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Tangent.

Was recently on flights operated by Aegean, Alitalia, Iberia and Air France.

Service was loverly.

However announcements made in English were indecipherable! All of them were rushed and in some cases resembled a long bluuuurr of sound with only a few actual words understandable. Almost comical as it was so bad.

Anyone else observed this?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I agree with many of the comments in the posts above.

I do not want to hear

– the crew being thanked for their hard work – that should be done at the post flight debrief#
    – the crew being welcomed home to Dubai (or wherever else)
    – a PA announcing the duty free service, it interrupts the IFE or my sleep
    – how many languages the crew can speak
    – collections for airline charities – I’ll choose who I support, such as my local air ambulance

Too many of the announcements fall into the category of noise pollution.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Esselle – I agree absolutely about the Quantas safety video, just wonderful, and it makes you watch.

I think information about the languages spoken by the crew is important, but it should come immediately before the safety briefing.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=780419]Esselle – I agree absolutely about the Quantas safety video, just wonderful, and it makes you watch.

I think information about the languages spoken by the crew is important, but it should come immediately before the safety briefing.

[/quote]

But David, if the languages spoken announcement is important, why don’t they give it in all the languages that are spoken onboard?

Giving it in English ain’t gonna help those who don’t speak English 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

What really annoyed me on my outbound to HKG, was that we were over an hour late due to the jetty needing maintenance before detaching from the aircraft… BAA eventually dealt with it after 1 and half hours….

Bearing in mind this was an evening take off (BA31), why on earth couldn’t all the announcements and safety briefing be done prior to push back after all the doors were close. The order taking of the meal service could also have been done, prior to take off…

So we took off 90 minutes late…. just started to doze…. and BANG……. CSD wanted to be hear…. plus all the other announcements….

With regards to the journey update….. its on the video screen….

I appreciate some passengers may not be regulars…. but never the less… it does not mean announcements need to be continuous after take off….

Make the announcements pre take off… once in the air… SHUT UP please..

Handbag…. RFerguson + others from other airlines…..

Ahmad
    Participant

Another perspective. I am neither crew nor as frequent a flyer as most on the Forum. I agree that announcements can become tedious or even outright annoying when heard over and over again. Particularly so when heard more than once in a day or several times over a few days. Having said that, some announcements are essential and others boarderline legal in many jurisdictions. Yet others have some commercial value relating to first time or occasional passengers (read captives for a few hours). In our multimedia world there are now many different ways of getting the message across. I have a feeling that overly relying on old fashioned announcements over the tannoy may no longer be the most effective way of getting the message across. It may take airlines some time to realise this. Until then, be prepared for Groundhog Day every time you fly!

wowzimmer
    Participant

Or how about the sometimes bizarre and painful Emirates introduction video to ICE and Skywards – played twice (in Arabic and English but with the exact same images) which is meant to be played after takeoff. Although, thankfully some pursers take mercy on us and play it immediately after the safety video.

This is of course after we have learnt how many different nationalities the crew represent and the number of languages they speak (but not what those languages actually are so we are in the dark as to whether they might be of any help).

I actually don’t mind most cabin PA’s although do understand why they could be frustrating for very frequent flyers. I generally know when to expect them and adapt my behaviour accordingly… Such as not starting a film during taxi and takeoff.

What I do mind is when the person making the PA lacks confidence or finesse in delivering the PA. At times I am left wondering if some crew realise they are addressing a captive audience of several hundred people and some practice, rehearsal and personality would go a long, long way!

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Well, FDOS, the logic is

– first to announce, in each of the languages that is going to be used, that there will be a safety briefing in that language
    Then, to announce what other languages are understood by the flight crew (announcements in each of the languages in question, obvs.)
    Then make the safety briefings in order
    Then to say in each of the languages that further information is available from the flight crew.
    Then be silent.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=780471]Well, FDOS, the logic is

– first to announce, in each of the languages that is going to be used, that there will be a safety briefing in that language
    Then, to announce what other languages are understood by the flight crew (announcements in each of the languages in question, obvs.)
    Then make the safety briefings in order
    Then to say in each of the languages that further information is available from the flight crew.
    Then be silent.

[/quote]

Obviously, these should include the language(s) of the city of origin, the city of final destination, all enroute stopovers, the national language of the airline and the country of aircraft registration (if different), the national language of the crew if aircraft on wet lease and of course English if it is not any of the above mentioned languages!!

canucklad
    Participant

I’m in agreement with most points about irrelevant jibber jabber.
    Unfortunately we are all going to have to get used to it and more and more of them as airlines try to part us from our hard earned cash with more and more ingenious ancillary fee’s that were previously part of the ticket price.

Currently
    “Why not try our delicious meal deal”
    Today’s special is London Gin, a double plus mixer for only….”
    “Let’s have some fun, here’s a chance to win , with our inflight scratch card lottery”
    “Our fragrance of the month is “Wolverhampton Wonder” at only ……. “
    “Save time and money, by purchasing your HEX tickets on-board….”
    “Access your tablet, through our inflight Wi-Fi for a song that suits you”

And in the future..
    “Our blockbuster movie now ready to download for your pleasure for only…..”
    “Be snug and warm; Hire a comfy blanket from slumber range”
    “Wanting a quick disembarkation, let your cabin crew now and get our priority fast track pass, regardless of where you’re sitting”
    Our flight isn’t full today, so hire overhead locker space and let your toes stretch”
    “For those of you, with an empty seat next to you, please inform your nearest member of cabin crew, for only £??? You can de-activate our rolly polly blow up seat filling companion and relax”

As far as minimising announcement noise you ‘d like to think that visuals could do the same job.
    Spoken languages on board for example, represented by flag boards at strategic places.
    Indeed, notice boards, ala cruise ship announcement style to brief passengers on catering service times and menu options etc.

Sadly, as we are now seen more as a cash cow to be plucked rather than guests to be impressed, I’m sure airlines biggest dilemma is to figure out a way to intervene and interact when we’re listening to our devices.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=780510]

Sadly, as we are now seen more as a cash cow to be plucked rather than guests to be impressed, I’m sure airlines biggest dilemma is to figure out a way to intervene and interact when we’re listening to our devices.

[/quote]

The only time I have been asked to stop listening to my own device so far has been during the safety briefing. Don’t hold me to it but I think it was an EK flight. If it were any other announcement being made I would have just ignored the request unless it was a US carrier or on the ground in USA.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls