Bye bye BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

“I have been outright lucky that I haven’t had any major issues where I’ve had to pull the ‘status’ card to ensure that issues are resolved better than if I were not. “

I am not the sort of person who likes to flash the piece of plastic or say: “DYKWIA?” but I’ve tried to use my LH SEN status twice.

1) Arrived in Berlin late on a Sunday night minus luggage, along with a number of other connecting pax. I had a meeting early the next morning and being a German meeting, reasonably smart clothes were expected. Joined the queue with the others. The lady in front was given €30 cash and told she could spend up to another €70 on ‘immediate necessities’ and claim it back. My turn. “Ach, you are a Senator.” I was given the €100 cash upfront. Quite unhelpful and inappropriate. I know they couldn’t produce my luggage or a suit but that was really pointless.

2) In Toronto, needed to get to Vancouver urgently. All flights full. Rang AC and waitlisted myself on all the flights the next day. Went to the airport to stand by, and went to the ticket desk to check flight status and to see if I was indeed on priority waitlist. Was told, and rudely at that : “You might be special to LH but not to us.” So much for seamless benefits across Alliances.

“Oneworld is broken and does not work as an Alliance. That laughable announcement on board which states “please contact any of our one world partners” is cringe worthy.”

Same applies to Star Alliance and Sky Team. I had a good level with the Vliegende Hollander on KLM but when AF stuck their noses in and it became Flying Blue the wheels came off. I was treated very shabbily by AF at CDG after an inbound delay caused me to miss my flight to CPT and until I stood my ground they refused to reroute me via AMS from where I wanted to catch the morning KLM to CPT. They tried to make me wait 24 hours to get the AF out of CDG.

RichHI1
    Participant

Not related to BA but I must differ with comment about 1wod not working. I have noticed a big change at AA with regard to inquiries about BA, JL and QF flights and policies since Joint Businesses. This is of great. Alus to me as I can get an answer to a question 24/7 in a couple of minutes whereas calling BA and oistening to irritating music can take a long time, although US line gets answered quicker than UK in my experience.

Matinée-Allstars
    Participant

I travel regularly but only for leisure and made the decision to go for gold on BA which I attained a couple of weeks ago

When you attain Silver there is a big leap (lounge access) in terms of benefits.

Much has been said that BA Gold is not worth it… but to be honest I am thrilled with the extra service levels

The BA FIrst Lounge at LHR T5 is an oasis of calm and I am a total convert….

The fee-free service charges for Avios bookings means I have freedom to book and change trips as often as I need to

Yes there isn’t a BIG leap from Silver to Gold in terms of benefits… but the benefits add up for me and I am already planning to retain BA Gold next year

Plus I got upgraded to CW and CE on 2 out of the first 3 flights after being Gold…. (just fluke I know and nothing I can expect) but very nice nonetheless

I realise that the previous Anytime Access is a loss for existing members but surely an unrealisitic expectation? If you travel Easyjet will BA pay for Speedy Boarding or your luggage ? Why then expect them to give you lounge access ?….. the world has changed….

Swissdiver
    Participant

@Matinée: there is a full thread about Anytime Access… In short though, I was using it when BA was not servicing a route. In addition, they solved a one venue problem (LGW) harming all their best clients… Silly. Furthermore if Anytime Access was still there, I would have kept my Gold membership (i.e. flown more BA)…

Swissdiver
    Participant

@Rich: regarding your post RichHI1 – 30/04/2012 09:27 GMT, yes, I believe loyalty is two ways. It is a form of win-win relationship that must be nourished by both parties. Of course we know the raison d’être of these schemes is for the airlines to generate more business. But showing a bit of consideration to the top clients will help them doing so. LX got it for a long time for instance. Which makes this small airline (fleet size: about 80, destinations: about 70) known all around the world.

Swissdiver
    Participant

@Danwolf: I am curious to have your feedback on this.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Loyalty is overrated. If you actually invest money (especially your own) in keeping status, you’ve been had. Hook, line and sinker.

PS what’s a “sinker”.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

As loyal as I am to BA and 60J, products available from the competition are evolving faster than BA are improving.

I fall into the camp that believes the seat is excellent (for all 5’7″ and 75kg of me), the food is improving and the service pretty consistent.

What I have realised over the last couple of trips on QF and Egyptair (not withstanding comments made about Egyptair on another thread) is that there are better products out there.

BA need to inject some freshness into the cabin.

Price is also of concern. The trip I am currently on should have been £1660 in NCW, but the price advertised on the BA website was altered in the seconds of completing the credit card details and pressing the submit button.

The only reason for me to maintain Gold status is the bonus in airmiles. There is no other solid benefit.

I far prefer giving my business to British** companies, but with BA starting to look stale and Virgin having gone off a long time ago, sadly what Swissdiver writes I can not disagree with.

Edited ** BA is a wholly owned subsidary of IAG, a Spanish company.

G-d help is all if the BA logo changes to a Spanish influenced logo

RichHI1
    Participant

Martyn, call me a pedant but IAG is a Spanish not a British business.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Indeed. Technically, it’s Spanish.

HongKongLady
    Participant

I am very pleased with mine. But if you feel able to live without one fine and as you say you have silver so it’s not all bad. Siver does have a great number of benefits, just not as many as Gold.

RichHI1
    Participant

And as you previously observed financially, hence the reporting in foreign currency, Euro.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Pedant.

With WW at the helm it is a mediocre, plain European Business. The guy had the opportunity to leverage how foreign travellers initially perceive Brits – being Posh and Eccentric.

BA could have played to the increasing numbers of wealthy Asians by delivering to their perceived stereotype, just as the European premium car brands are doing highly successfully in the Asian market right now.

Instead of going Posh, Premium and Excellent into booming markets, transporting wealthy Asian Businessmen into a range of European Centres and vice-versa, WW has taken BA/IAG down market to recession ridden markets. What a plonker.

RichHI1
    Participant

Maybe Mr Walsh has Made BA more European by bringing with him the brand values of the Irish carriers such as Aer Lingus and Ryan Air?

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Spot on RichHI1

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls