Business Traveller Online Charity Auction 2017

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve just registered and looking at the prizes Tom, I’ve a suggestion. The Lufthansa Duck found in the bathrooms in the First Class lounges at FRA/MUC have become collectors items and it seems have a cult following. Perhaps you could contact them and see if you can get a few for the auction. I’d certainly bid for them to add to my collection.

Lufthansa First Class Duck Registry

Lufthansa-Duck-1

Flightlevel
    Participant

I’ll duck that one!

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

A reminder that this year’s UK auction closes at midday (GMT) on Sunday.

https://btauction.co.uk/

capetonianm
    Participant

I’m bidding for a couple of lots in this year’s auction, as it’s a good cause. Not too bothered if I win any or not.

I came here to comment on the outcome of my last year’s bidding.

I ‘won’ two lots. One was a car rental with Avis (I think) which I turned down as once I’d read the restrictions properly, I found it was worth much less than my ‘winning’ bid. For that I hold myself entirely culpable as I should have read up before bidding, and if BT had rejected my request to decline it, I would have taken the hit and paid up.

The second lot was a two night stay at a serviced apartment from Roomspace. I think I paid £200 for it. The accommodation we got would have cost at least 50% more than that if bookable for only a 2 night stay.

We choose a London stay, and from the first contact with Roomspace the request for accommodation was handled efficiently and helpfully by Glenn Turner.

The actual accommodation unit could only be confirmed from several options a few days before arrival. We choose Howard House, in Moxon Street (well, not quite … more on that later!) just off Marylebone High Street. An excellent location and as it’s a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic so it was, by city standards anyway, very quiet. Lots of interesting little eateries around, shops, and some good restaurants, we chose Fischer’s for Saturday night dinner and it was outstanding. It is an easy and pleasant walk to the West End, Soho, etc, at least for anyone like us who enjoys walking.

Finding the building was a small challenge as although the address is Moxon Street, the entrance is round the corner in a lane called Ossington Buildings. On a dark night it was hard to find even though Moxon Street is very short. The key safe was not correctly labelled, so by the time we got to the apartment we felt as if we’d completed a bit of a challenge.

The apartment was very clean, although cold when we arrived. Turning the heating on was a small challenge as the very comprehensive set of instructions for the appliances referred to a gas heating unit which was not the same as the one installed. Once I’d worked out how to get it fired up, the apartment heated up fast, as did the water.

We had expected a one bedroom apartment, in fact it was a two bedroomed unit. Bedrooms small but perfectly adequate and the bed was very comfortable, with bedding that seemed clean and fresh. Living area quite spacious, two sofas, a decent cooking area, modern TV which worked, and really quite cosy. Also well lit and good wifi.

The bathroom was a little dated and tired, could have done with a spot of paint and light maintenance here and there, but it was fine, although my wife correctly pointed out that there is very little shelf space for woman stuff!

I would recommend Roomspace, on the basis of the above.

I would also like to thank BT for making this available as spending a weekend in central London is not something I would normally choose to do, but despite that, I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. My wife, being as much a city person as I am not, was very happy. I hope that everyone who bids on BT auctions this year is as happy as I was with their wins.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls