Business travel during Ramadan

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• DNAdams
    Participant

I disagree. Not serving certain types of food on a flight to bow to individuals religious ‘requirements’ is taking away choice from others and it is not their problem. As I mentioned before where does it end – no beef, pork, prawn, lobster or even alcohol so as not to upset people who choose to follow certain beliefs. How is that fare on everyone as a whole.
    Dressing respectfully while abroad and in someone elses country is really not the same – is it, so hardly comparable.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@DNAdams – you know one of the great things about life is the choices we are given. Just because you remove the choice of beef, pork, prawn, lobster – how many other choices are there… Are you a person that needs ALL the choices at any one time, or can you get excited by a choice of say 3 types of foods.

In my very respectful world, yes showing respect by dressing respectfully is the same thing. I would not go to a black tie event & complain about the lack of clothing choice.

I don’t think religion is actually the problem – the problem is people not wishing to respect other cultures, traditions and sensitivities – and – I am Jewish and when invited to visit Saudia was asked in advance whether I required kosher food… (I incidentally declined and accepted a vegetarian diet)…

Flightlevel
    Participant

While being respectful is ok for the national airline it shouldn’t be required of all airlines visiting countries. Some airlines don’t serve alcohol and airlines from Muslim countries often have the direction of Mecca on the IFE ‘though it shouldn’t be a requirement of all airlines to those countries.
    Food is similar ‘though airline pax maybe more sensitive to a ‘not invented here’ attitude. I fly CX and have no wish to try chinese noodles yet understand their choice and BA has similar meals available to/from HKG to please that destinations residents ‘though l’m sure they also eat western food.
    Its entirely a marketing choice.
    We can be too sensitive when in a claustrophobic tube on our travels, and we all dislike the numerous cabin announcements that only a few people understand.
    When it gets to banning flags (see EK news) I think it goes too far however again its a marketing/PR choice?

K1ngston
    Participant

+1 Flightlevel

JKL
    Participant

I suppose commercial imperative will always trump religious sensitivities.

I’ve always felt that people should be free to follow whatever religious or cultural practices they like, so long as they don’t adversely affect others. But the issue of food on planes is an interesting one – if I want a bacon sandwich, but your religion and the country we’re flying to prohibits it, who’s imposing on who?

I suppose it’s a matter of degree, and ease of implementation. I flew back from Kuala Lumpur on Malaysia Airlines the othet day; daylight flight, food served as normal. As the flag carrier of a Muslim-majority nation, they could (in theory) require fasting to be observed by simply carrying no food or drink on board. They’d no doubt save a huge amount of fuel! But they’d also have very empty flights as anyone not fasting would likely find that intolerable. Big impact. On the other hand, swapping out a (pork) bacon sandwich for one made of, say, beef or turkey bacon, really shouldn’t be a big deal. I assume BA feels not doing so would have a commercial impact (or perhaps a brand one – but I would have thought there’s more positive PR/goodwill to be had from being respectful of other customs?). Then again, airlines could also swap champagne for rose water on Middle Eastern flights (as the F1 Grand Prix podium ceremonies do when there) but I suspect that wouldn’t go down too well!

How about this – should an airline not serve peanuts if someone on board has an allergy to them? I recall a flight once where this happened and an announcement was made asking passengers not to open any packets they may have brought on board. Must have been quite some allergy, and while I have no particular objection to the precaution, it does raise the question of whether the at-risk person should have been on board if the risk was that severe. But equally is it fair to deny them travel? Probably not.

Thinking about culture rather than religion, out of curiosity, how would people feel if an airline served, say, dog meat, or shark fin soup (perhaps some already do?), or – just to take it to an extreme for the sake of argument – human? Which gives me an idea – “Cannibalair. Flight overbooked? No problem! We’ll free up seats after takeoff!” I suppose it would bring a whole new meaning to “Window seat or aisle?” If you were already in the middle seat.

Also reminds me of the other DNAdams’ fictional planet Bethselamin… http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Bethselamin

Perhaps airlines should serve cans of worms 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls