Business Class to Delhi – Qatar vs Swiss

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)

• julmops
    Participant

Lufthansa is another option indeed. Prices are sensibly the same as BA/VS/9W and yes it would be on the 748 !!
    One of my colleagues used to fly them on J and wasn’t particularly impressed so I’m not sure if the new interior would change anything …
    I agree with you on the BA upper deck but the chances are very small as I’m only Blue with them …

sparkyflier
    Participant

At least the new J class seats on LH748 are flat. Mixed reaction on this furum when they came out, but I thought they looked attractive.

julmops
    Participant

I went on LH’s website and they look attractive indeed … The plot thickens … I found myself with even more options than I had to start with. However I discarded Austrian as their seats aren’t fully flat … Pity for the food though 😉

Bruce98
    Participant

Take Swiss. The cabin service is usually excellent, with FAs who know what they are doing and do it well. Note to Vintage Krug, they tend to be mature, so this is probably not the service for you.

The seat is firm, but not unduly so (IMHO, based on being able to get a good night on it.) The best seats are even numbered A seats, almost as good as F seats for space and privacy, the others are also fine.

LH service is not in the same league for service, can be cold and inattentive, QR is inconsistent on hard product.

Contrary to other posters views, I’ve transferred at Zurich many times from the UK to long haul (mid field, terminal E) and it is easy and fast.

Don’t even think about going on Austrian.

MartinJ
    Participant

Hi julmpos, three things I’d consider:
    1. You could mix Austrian and other Lufthansa Group airlines and take a daytime flight on Austrian for the food (it really is the best I’ve ever had on an aircraft) and Swiss for the flat bed on a night flight
    2. With connecting flights I do look at frequencies. On the return leg, if you miss your connection in Doha you’ll lose half a day, in Zurich only an hour or two as flights between London and Zurich are very frequent.
    3. Whilst this wouldn’t be my main reason, I also try and support European airlines to keep jobs in Europe.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Would probably go SWISS (I have also sampled QR on a few occasions).

Main reson is the massive amount of bussing around you need to do in Doha. Yes, the premium terminal there is good but we spend >20 minutes on busses going round the airfield.

Downside of SWISS is the short secktor from LON to ZRH

You suffer either

a) the horrible AVRO RJ jets out of LCY (no lounge for J PAX ay LCY and only a meagre £4 voucher that will buy you nothing) with a small seat and excessive noise; or

b) long walk to the gates that Swiss use in LHR T3

As an alternative, remember that EK will do chauffeur drive for you on all secktors plus possibly a free stopover in DXB which might be of some interest or value to you. [Although I am told the Business lounge in DXB is overcrowded] and you might also get a Sector on the A380 ex LHR

Rgds P

Senator
    Participant

I would be with MartinJ on this one:
    Day flight to DEL with OS, indulgent in their excellent Food & Beverage from Do & Co. Downside; poorish seat for sleep, and IFE is not much to boast about. Done this a few times, few if any will beat OS in the F&B department for Business Class in Europe.

I would head home with LX as they use the A330-300 on this route. Try to secure 4A or any of the other single A seats (6A, 8A, 10A, 12A), they are by far the best in the house.

julmops
    Participant

Bruce98, you are very persuasive, I have to say ! 😉 That’s definitely some extra weight on the LX scale ! Thanks !
    MartinJ, I will try and see if I manage to get prices for this mix and match option, could be a good one. While I agree on principle, the only fact that I’m travelling to India is indeed to move jobs over there so I can’t really comment on it 😉
    SwissExPat, for me it would be LHR T1 and I agree, those corridors are just endless 😉 EK is definitely still in the run but I flew with them previously so more tempted by something new, even the A380 has a massive appeal to me !

julmops
    Participant

Senator, thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep that in mind !

julmops
    Participant

The split OS/LX option would come at 1500 … Cheapest option of all and possibly best of both worlds … Will keep it in contention !

Bruce98
    Participant

MartinJ is right, the DoCo menus offered by Austrian are very good indeed, but the downside is that the seats are as hard as a park bench (yes, I am exaggerating, but not wildly.)

After 30 mins, my bum started to feel numb, never mind, only another 8.5 hours to go 🙁

Also you have to sit in a cabin with quite narrow seats on the 767 and endure this highly unusual cabin decor…….

http://www.mynetbizz.com/travelweb/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/austrian-airlines-business-class.jpg

…served by ladies clad entirely in scarlet, including their tights.

Take dark glasses 😉

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

The Jet deal we have is £1659 for the below (includes all fees) so has the benefit of being direct. VS is the same as you have seen once fees are taken into account so no better using an agent and Qatar are only a few pounds cheaper at £1593.

9W 121 P 28OCT LHRDEL HS1 2050 #1040
    9W 122 P 30NOV DELLHR HS1 1340 1740

At least you have lots of choice with airlines and there are some good products on the route

Bruce98
    Participant

I’d be very tempted by that offer, Tim. Jet offers a great J class and the service is usually excellent.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

just to correct CityProfessional, if you arrive in ZRH in Business and the plane is at a stand rather than a pier, you’ll be collected from the plane with a small bus for business class pax only.

The transfer to E is easy and there is a good lounge in E as well.

Forgot to add another reason for LX highlighted already, is the Swiss professionalism, sadly lacking with QR.

Bullfrog
    Participant

IMHO .. “no brainer”

Non stop fom London, with Jet, VS or BA.

With BA at £2000 and LX or QR at £ 1500, I would still go non stop on BA. For £250 each way, the hassle of changing plane is just not worth it.

GoonerLondon was right from the start.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls