Budget hotels – all mod cons?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Rob
    Participant

I realise that many Business Travellers will be regular guests at high-end hotels with gym, spa, numerous restaurants and rooms with all manner of hi-tech interactive controls – a list so long most of us never even realise half of what’s available.

However, hotels at the budget end also want to ensure we don’t miss out on their comprehensive offering.

I stayed in a hotel in Central London a couple weeks ago (booked through a well-known online website) which detailed the following room facilities – ‘TV, air-conditioning, desk, towels, carpets and toilet paper’.

I can confirm that all advertised facilities were present and correct.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Almost in reverse order of importance.

I stayed in a serviced apartment last year which did provide toilet paper and even had a lovely welcome pack of chocolate, bottled water, some high-end teas and even a coffee-making machine. What it lacked, however, was a bar of soap (or a dispenser).

Of course I went out and bought some, but since all previous occupants of the room would have suffered the same omission, it did make me wonder how clean the rest of the apartment was.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“Budget Hotels” – I wonder how these are defined? I was researching hotels in London recently for a client and came across a budget hotel costing just south of £200, whilst I ended up putting him up in a 3/4 star for around £130 per night…

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=864133]“Budget Hotels” – I wonder how these are defined? I was researching hotels in London recently for a client and came across a budget hotel costing just south of £200, whilst I ended up putting him up in a 3/4 star for around £130 per night…[/quote]

That’s right, Martyn, London hotels have been getting ridiculous for years now. And in my opinion they’re not even good value for money compared with hotels in most similar-sized cities around the world. That’s why I prefer the Sofitel Heathrow despite the distance [disclaimer, I’m not associated with Sofitel].

Rob, your post cheered me up, carpets and toilet paper, whatever next?!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Our next issue has a round-up of Affordable London Hotels – some of the reviews have already been posted in our Tried & Tested section.

Very impressed with some of them…

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=864108]
    I stayed in a hotel in Central London a couple weeks ago (booked through a well-known online website) which detailed the following room facilities – ‘TV, air-conditioning, desk, towels, carpets and toilet paper’.

I can confirm that all advertised facilities were present and correct.[/quote]

This is all well and good, but no mention of a bed. So, was the desk comfortable for sleeping?

canucklad
    Participant

I’m not sure if Holiday Inn Expresses are considered “budget hotels” .
    If they are , then it’s a thumbs up recommendation from me for the following hotels and their very friendly staff….
    And actually my first choice over “grander hotels” even when they fall within company policy if I’m working in those cities /towns….

1) Newcastle City centre – classic Geordie hospitality and friendliness
    2) Stockport – a breakfast that sets you up , and welcoming staff
    3) Derby- as above, although where it’s located is pretty naff

It has to be said, I’m pretty easy to please and at times when I stay at some top end establishments I really don’t feel as if I’m getting the same value for money, even if I am going to claim it back.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, I stayed in one in Berlin for three days earlier this year and was impressed as well…

MarcusGB
    Participant

The Accor group, (now much expanded as a Hotel, Apartment, and booking platform holding group), certainly have added more properties at the Top end.
    These have been aquiring Raffles, Swissotel, Fairmont, Sebel etc…

However, their basic brands of Ibis, Ibis Styles (with mini kitchen etc), are really very good, with a newer refreshed brand. I would consider these to be budget, pretty much Europe, Africa, and then more East – in Middle East, Asia, and Australia / Pacific area. they tend to offer all of their brands often next to or near to each other, and several of each in major cities.
    I do find the newer Ibis model very good, basic but contemporary rooms with wall mounted Digital TV’s, softer beds and great linen, clever shaped showers, wood floors, but great cafe, bar and offerings downstairs, that reflect more of its locality. They have also several grades of room within this.
    They also have a lesser F1 Brand.

I have had very poor experiences of Travel Lodge etc, so i stay within the now Very Broad selection of hotels within Accor, that at least have a World standard model, no matter were they are, so reliable, and Brand Manager Regulated.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls