British Airways – the world's most successful airline

Back to Forum
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi Capetonian and SteveScots

Most of my flights are within EU where agents cannot normally better the online booking. For the few long-haul flights that I now take each year, I research first with FlightMatrix then look to find a website that can deliver that fare.

A couple of years ago I could see some excellent deals from LIS to HKG on CX (LHR>HKG sector) but could not find any website that could actually deliver the price. I phoned CX “office” in Lisbon who told me that they cannot sell flights, but gave me a contact at a TA nearby who had access to the deal that I was talking about.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

CathayLoyalist2

I suspect that Cathay is the example that disproves your formula. Customer satisfaction + good product + committed staff = loss making airline. This in a time when most other airlines are finally comfortably profitable.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

FaroFlyer, based on insight from within CX ,the Leadership has not been as diligent as it should have been notably a view that there has been deadwood in HQ and other places for quite a while now and so maybe the new CEO is getting to grips with it.The fuel hedging as we know is still a millstone round their necks. Ultimately it is down to an individuals perspective of what type of company they want to run, if a CEO, the type of company where employees are proud to work there, or not, and a company where customers keep coming back. You as a CEO either believe in your people or you don’t. I’ve seen many companies where the formula works well. Banks make huge profits however the culture of said banks is questionable to say the least. I have knowledge of such employees who quit because of the toxicity of the culture. We all have a choice and we exercise that choice accordingly.

PhilipHart
    Participant

@AisleSeatTraveller, I’m most concerned that an item of cabin luggage may have moved during flight and banged you on the head when you opened the locker door. I can think of no other reason for your bizarre maunderings. Please seek professional help immediately.

stevescoots
    Participant

Hops around Europe i understand not using a TA/TM, when most of my travelling was EU i always checked myself but as the nature of my travel and working schedule changed I chose to use an excellent TM, even if it does not save me ticket price money if I did all the search myself. for example last week i was looking at potentially changing my upcoming schedule, probably would have taken me a couple of hours searching on line and on the phone to the airlines I am booked with. I saved time by just throwing to my TM,

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

An interesting discussion of what makes the world’s most successful airline:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40069865
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-40071569/ba-delays-absolute-chaos-at-heathrow
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40072200

The lack of someone from BA (Cruz or Walsh) to front up to the public speaks volumes. Rule 1 of disaster contingency planning: do not run away from fronting up to the meedjah.

capetonianm
    Participant

Today’s debacle shows how successful they are. Incompetence compounded by arrogance.
    I expect they will get rid of a few organ grinders as scapegoats, whereas it’s people right at the top who made the bad decisions who need to take the walk.

SimonS1
    Participant

I thought Alex Cruz looked quite fetching in his hi viz vest.

Every bit the captain of the Titanic.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10209290036957326&id=76903425829

esselle
    Participant

Agree totally with AnthonyDunn

The Perrier and BM disasters were salvaged by the immediate presence in the media of the top guy saying it was a big boo boo and they were going to deal with it.

HBR covered both.

Neither Walsh nor Cruz recognise that this is a massive PR issue. If they did, they would be gagging to get in front of the camera.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls