British Airways is a Third World Airline

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

• Anonymous

FDOS_UK
    Participant

So says poster Jomtien9.

Anyone else agree? I don’t.

Jomtien9
    No Marty you can’t. All major airlines specifically prohibit consumption of own alcohol brought aboard. If not they would have no control over customers’ excess drinking and resultant problems.

FDOS
    British Airways allows consumption of passengers own alcohol, as does Egyptair.

Jomtien9 – 22/04/2016 12:00 BST
    FDOS ….. I don’t fly 3rd world airlines……..

Jomtien9
    Participant

* Any airline that no longer serves Campari in long haul Business Class deserves 3rd World status. 🙂

* Any airline serving the cheese and biscuits in 1st Class , with the crackers still in their cellophane wrap deserves 3rd World status 🙂

* Any airline that thinks 31″ pitch for Business Class within Europe is acceptable deserves 3rd World status.

I’m sure readers can add their own 3rd world / BA experiences – you may regret starting this topic !

FDOS_UK
    Participant

BA doesn’t offer 31″ in Club Europe, you are wrong about that.

For me, ‘third world airline’ implies poor maintenance, questionable safety etc., not cheese in cellophane.

You have the potential to be a gold member, obviously.

Jomtien9
    Participant

Yes you are quite correct. BA does not offer 31″ in Club World Europe.
    it’s now 30″ !! Exactly the same as economy…………..

See seat Guru aircraft map for BA A320 European;

Club Europe 30″ 17″ 48 standard seats

Euro Traveller 30″ 17 ” 96 standard seats

FDOS_UK
    Participant

” Jomtien9 – 23/04/2016 06:20 BST

Yes you are quite correct. BA does not offer 31″ in Club World Europe.”

As I said, you were factually wrong, which added to your factually incorrect view that no major airlines have a policy of allowing passengers to drink their own alcohol, makes you look like a Walt, to me.

By the way Club World Europe is an oxymoron.

Jomtien9
    Participant

Well if you think it’s ok to pay business class fares for a 3 hour flight to Helsinki in a Club Europe (i.e. standard economy) seat with 30″ pitch, you are a bigger Walt than even your other posts suggest.

In the ‘first world’, Thai offers 32-34″ in economy as do most of the Asian airlines, usually with 18 inch width. I rest my case.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

ROTFL.

If there is one status I don’t hold on here, it’s Defender of BA.

But it sounds as if you paid for Club Europe – basic mistake.

Asia and Europe are different markets, with different products and price points – you need to sit marketing 101.

Jomtien9
    Participant

No I didn’t pay for BA Club World – I did my homework first and flew with another carrier.

MrMichael
    Participant

I think I might wade in here. FDOS is not by any means a defender of BA. Indeed anyone going back on threads on this forum will find that in the main FDOS is two things. He is definitely not a defender of BA, and he will certainly correct if it is wrong. I rarely agree with FDOS, but on this I think he has a point.

Is BA a third world airline?
    Well it is a UK/Spanish entity and I don’t think any stretch of economic imagination would suggest either country is a 3rd world country, so by default BA cannot be a 3rd world airline. It does however go to 3rd world countries, so in that respect perhaps it is. I would also say (and FDOS may disagree here) that BA is a well managed airline with a focus on costs and margins and delivers excellent value to shareholders.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I will stick to saying that BA is an airline with operational capability way beyond the stereotypical ‘3rd world’ airline.

canucklad
    Participant

MrMichael
    Participant

On that basis Canucklad one could include most high street banks & telecoms companies.

canucklad
    Participant

Indeed MrMichael,
    And the irony is, in doing so they’ve made us 3rd world consumer’s too, lowering our expectations as we cope with the other group of people dragged into Mumbnilla economics.
    Both at home and abroad it’s becoming more and more of a chore to interact with their staff, alas it’s the price we pay for living in the global market place.
    Key word being market

MrMichael
    Participant

There lies the rub Canucklad. People in a call centre do not actually produce any profit and so getting it as cheap as possible is the answer. If in the UK we had people that would work for £2.50 an hour (I know it would be illegal) then the jobs would be in the UK. It is no different to buying steel, if cheaper elsewhere buy it there. I bet very few businesses buy something from their own country at triple the price of importing it if they are able. I do consider a call centre to be an import in these instances.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls