British Airways introducing Buy on Board for long haul flights?

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

Perhaps controversial there is one area I wish BA really WOULD introduce BOB on longhaul – BOOZE!

I think the deal should be a free bar drink before dinner. Wine or beer with the meal. Pay after.

IMHO the unlimited supply of free alcohol causes so many problems on flights. I’m sure some people would continue to pay to drink themselves to oblivion but others just do it because it’s free and they are bored.

Reeferman
    Participant

I certainly hope that BA does NOT go down such a route as rferguson suggests!
    I agree that “some people would continue to pay to drink themselves to oblivion” – so it would be a system that would penalise the many for the sake of the few (although I have no idea of the numbers/percentages involved).
    In any event, if (stress, if) BA catches-up with others and moves to dine on demand, this would be tricky to administer – to say the least!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I agree with rferguson 100%

I think the amount of alcohol available in the lounges and on the aircraft is an excess. I am a whisky lover and I could quite easily take advantage of the fabulous range of 6-7 premium whisky’s in the lounges and the endless supply of alcohol on board…..

I would be interested to hear from rferguson and handbag + other cabin crew about the number of passengers who have drunk to excess..

I will admit, I enjoy both the F and Concorde lounges and not just because of the food…..

rferguson
    Participant

It’s not just about someone getting drunk. It’s about the repercussions of it. SO people say ‘whats the difference between cutting off the booze supply in economy versus business’. The answer is multifold. Firstly, economy is a miserable place to sit. Especially over an extended period of time. Some people choose to ‘self medicate’ by taking advantage of the free booze to excess. Some eventually fall asleep. More often though people drinking become disruptive to those sat around them, continually get in and out of their seat, speak loudly to others un co-operative. Others in groups try to turn the galleys or door areas into ‘party zones’. Do it in business class and they (although there are exceptions) recline their seat and zzz without disturbing others. I’m sorry but being wedged in the middle of other strangers in the air is not the place to get drunk – no matter how good an idea it seems at the time. You can’t imagine the amount of people that come to the galley complaining about the drunks sat next/in front/behind them. It really does create or contribute to 80% of the ‘issues’ we have on board. I think generally for most people a drink before dinner and a drink with their meal is sufficient for the duration of a flight. And if you want more than that no problem – pay for it.

ThomasCox
    Participant

Ultimately, competition can and will sort this out. I’m always amused by the levels of anger that the BoB debate sparks around BA. If BA introduces BoB on longhaul economy then passengers have a clear choice: either fly with BA and accept the terms and conditions of carriage, or travel with another carrier. There is choice in the longhaul route market (arguably less so in the short haul) so passengers can pay their monies and take their chances. FYI, I am not supportive of BoB – it smacks of short-term, penny-pinching corporate myopia. It devalues the brand and it shows a basic lack of hospitality. However, if it’s that offensive and off-putting I’d strongly advocate just not flying economy on BA.

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls