British Airways: 100 years in the sky

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Programme on (in the UK) next week – May 1 and May 8, 2018

British Airways: 100 years in the sky

The first passengers sat in wicker chairs with no toilets.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=864216]The first passengers sat in wicker chairs with no toilets.[/quote]

But at least they had room around them, unlike the poor sods in the 787 Y section or who will be squeezed into the densifed shorthaul aircraft.

canucklad
    Participant

Thanks for the update Tom, hope your planning a special edition to celebrate the anniversary of Britain’s (excepting the home counties) favourite airline.
    Who’ll be celebrating a proper century of continued flight on the 7th of October next year !!

EDIT to ADD : Tom, are you sure you’ve got the right video.. “The worlds wildest flights” ??

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We seem to be having problems embedding links, but the production house that made this programme also made a programme called “The world’s wildest flights”

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I was always taught that Holland’s KLM is the world’s oldest airline.

Next year it will be 100 years since KLM was founded.

The difference between KLM and British Airways is that the former has traded continously under its original name.

https://www.klm.com/corporate/en/about-klm/students/students-history.html

So which is the oldest ?

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Alex, I’ll refer you to my last post,not that I want to be a smarty pants
    I’m sure they had an ad campaign once,that said the reason their plane’s are blue,is because they had first choice !

christopheL
    Participant

100 years in the sky for the youngest (1974) major European Airline (Swiss aside) equals 200 to 300 years in the sky for KL, LH, IB, AF and many others…

May be the next Channel 5 documentary will be about the Marquis de Lafayette flying onboard the Concorde « Hermione » to the US in 1776.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Not sure about that.

Here’s the trailer for tomorrow night

AMcWhirter
    Participant

And Wednesday sees the return of those Heathrow documentaries.

https://www.heathrow.com/more/britains-busiest-airport

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Tuesday night channel 5 line up:

**9pm BA, 100 years in the Sky (1/2)

**10pm Missing Flight MH 370, Inside the situation room

**11.05 The secret life of the long hail flight (R)

12.30 onwards… back to boring stuff….

christopheL
    Participant

As a French national I am very proud that AF seems to be secretely considered as the oldest airline still operating today by Channel 5.

British Airways has been created in 1973 (first flight operated in 1974) following many mergers dating back in 1936 when British Airways ltd was created as the result of the merger of United Airways, Hillman Airways & Spartan Airlines (one of British Airways Ltd’s plane can be seen on the Channel 5 trailer showing Chamberlain flying back from Munich in 1938).

Air France has been created in 1933 following mergers with many airlines the oldest of which was created in 1909 (10 years sooner than KLM and 11 years sooner than Qantas) as the Compagnie Générale Transaérienne. Some more mergers in 1921, 1926 and 1933 ended up in the creation of “Air France”.

I wonder what make it possible to date back the creation of BA 100 years ago as it seems that the first commercial flight operated by a british airline was operated in 1919 only …

https://jobs.ba.com/jobs/custom/britishairways/assets/pdf/bwt1217-timeline-a4l.pdf

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls