Bristol to Dallas with American (J class) & Ryanair (Biz Plus)

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• Bath_VIP
    Participant

Martyn,

The bulk of transatlantic flights are in the morning from DUB so I would never take the risk of an early morning connection unless I was on a through ticket.

BTW, I’ve been looking for flights to the USA from DUB & AMS for Thanksgiving and fares are quite expensive now. Are you still seeing decent ex-EU fares?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Bath_VIP – I tend to book my flights 4 – 6 weeks before hand, so its a little early for me to check flights for November.

I tend to find the ex-Europe to USA flights by searching on Kayak first, then its over the BA web site…

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I’ve decided to bring this thread back rather than starting a new one.

My wife and I have just completed a trip from DFW to LHR with AA in Business class on their B777-300. As you can see from this thread, I had experienced the new seat on an A330 and was expecting something similar but the reality was different.

The layout is similar 1-2-1 herringbone with somewhat cramped foot space. Unlike the A330, the B777-300 has a considerable amount of at seat storage space including a magazine rack, a small cupboard next to your shoulder and a storage area by your feet. All was very useful and I really liked that.

Unfortunately none of that makes up for what turned out to be the worst business class seat I have ever experienced and I am shocked at the difference with the A330. The operative word here is “seat” by that I mean something I can sit in for an extended period of time in comfort. On this it fails completely. I have had more comfortable seats in economy. The seat was exceptionally hard and I never found a single position upright or reclined where I felt I was sitting comfortably. I ended the flight with a sore hip.

Obviously, sleeping was no better given the hardness of the seat.

I don’t understand why the 2 aircraft should be so different. I know that the A330’s are ex-US airways but at first sight you are getting the same seat but there is no comparison between the two and there is no way I will fly the B777-300 again.

openfly
    Participant

I note that you say there was confusion as to whether you could use the Fastrack security facility at Bristol.

Bristol, like most airports, does not have filtering, so anybody can use “Fastrack”! It’s all a big con. The only airport terminal that has filtering is LHR T5 and even then it requires a manual check and they let you through.

Gatwick terminals are a prime example of not filtering. As a BA Gold I can pass through Fastrack, but to prove the point have gone through with friends who have no status. Other friends fly with EasyJet, again no status, and sail through the Fastrack facility. Some carriers charge an add-on to use Fastrack…total rip-off. It’s freely available.

So, try Fastrack at UK airports…nothing to lose!

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Hi Bath VIP – I would agree with your comments about the AA 773 J seat re: hardness. Good amount of personal space etc, but I definitely found it on the hard side.

AA have further J variants for your seating pleasure – their new 772’s have a quite unique yin-yang formation. Their 763’s have yet a different seat, which when you recline moves upwards, providing very little space if you want to have the table out. These are all much newer J seats than the ex US Air A330’s, which like you, I’ve always found comfortable, plus I find CLT a good choice when transiting.

Last comment re: AA 773 – on my last J flight with them I asked what red wine was on offer. Rioja or Rioja was the reply. They had loaded two different Rioja’s as the red options on the flight!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls