Border Agency not fit for purpose but boss promoted

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

And, just as I predicted no-one did notice the strike on 10 May; many people commented how efficiently the border functioned on that day, without the go-slow dinosaurs present.

The “closed, secretive and defensive culture” referred to even in the BBC article linked is an obvious reference to the fact that the Unions had found a power vacuum in the new structure which they exploited.

Just as was the case at British Airways some months ago, the managers will re-assert their right to manage and ensure standards are lifted, and control is re-established. The rapidity with which this decision has been taken also points to the need to outwit some of the old guard who would prefer continuation of the status quo, and would have fought to sustain it.

The clever timing just prior to Easter means that over the next couple of weeks, fewer businesspeople will be inconvenienced if the PCS kick off – the communist leader Serwotka was already calling for a strike in June – but I’d imagine he’s probably sunning himself in Cuba over the holidays.

As ever, I called the BA strike correctly, and also identified the real malefactor in this episode, too.

The new structure, more closely oversen by Ministers, is not an ideal long term structure – Ministers should not have to get into the reeds in this way – but needs must.

It’s great to see another sterling and decisive performance from Mrs May.

openfly
    Participant

Such stunning modesty………

Bucksnet
    Participant

Nothing much will change until the Common Purpose traitors are purged from the department. As the people at the top (Cameron, May, Homer et al) are CP then there’s no chance of that happening any time soon.

Homer should never again work for the state. She was involved in a vote rigging scandal, the catastrophic leadership failure at UKBA, and was Permanent Secretary of the DfT overseeing the WCML franchise fiasco.

CMoir12
    Participant

The next strike is on 5 April. The border will be manned by senior mangers/police. But at what price?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Steve, Anthony, I’m only too well aware of the way the UK tax office works. My last encounter with the English tax office was over 35 years ago when everything was settled very civilly over tea and biscuits in his office in Bromley resulting in a tax bill of £120. 3 days later I got a frantic phone call telling me not to pay it as a mistake had been made. Fearing the worse I waited a week for a letter, to arrive and was surprised with a cheque for £50. They’d made a miscalculation and instead of paying I got a refund!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls