Booming Belfast

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

This piece was published by CAPA (7-3-17).
    “Belfast-London Gatwick becomes UK’s busiest domestic route”

https://centreforaviation.com/news/belfast-international–london-gatwick-link-now-uks-busiest-domestic-air-route-650377

FDOS_UK
    Participant

That’s interesting, I never realised how busy that route is.

Panda01
    Participant

What! This is a surprise. I wonder why it is so popular?

penfold69
    Participant

I think it might be overtaken shortly when Flybe start their EDI/LHR route, if it flights per day. But that will depend on whether “busiest”, is in terms of flights per day or passenger numbers. Does anyone happen to know?

transtraxman
    Participant

The article in CAPA talks about passengers per month citing January as their latest information from the CAA.

N1IslingtonFlyer
    Participant

The figures are a bit misleading. If you take all five London airports into account (LHR/LGW/STN/LTN/LCY) the figures for January are closer to: Belfast (BFS & BHD) to London – c.180,000 Edinburgh to London -c. 239,000 and Glasgow to London c.186,000. These are the three major UK Domestic routes and Edinburgh to London is well ahead by margin of c. 60,000. BFS/LGW may have been the busiest single route, but city to city, Edinburgh is by far the busiest UK domestic route.

transtraxman
    Participant

If you include all London airports in statistics, should you not include London Southend these days?

Flightlevel
    Participant

Reminds me of the Swedish proverb: Smoking is the biggest cause of statistics! One should really include all London airports and both at Belfast unless you’re the airport marketing manager. Btw don’t believe any statistics about LHR they’re similarly contrived. LGW even has routes to more destinations and it has half the runways and capacity!

transtraxman
    Participant

It must be worthwhile to fly the route.
    “Eastern Airways steps in to save Isle of Man route” (to Belfast City)
    (Buying Business Travel 13-3-17)

https://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news/1326973-eastern-airways-steps-save-isle-man-route

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls